IGNORED

IntyBASIC Programming Contest 2020 Rules

18 hours ago, nanochess said:

My condolences for your deceased ones.

Thank you. We have to be strong.

But maybe I should've re-written my previous comments. Yes, IntyBASIC contest have been trying for me with these deaths, but, ironically, some of the things that have elevated my moods during these times does indeed include IntyBASIC itself. ?

18 hours ago, nanochess said:

Don't forget to send your entry, even if isn't finished. Just round up the last level with a message, and it makes it a complete game.

Hmmm. I like this idea. Cool!

On 1/19/2021 at 5:34 AM, DZ-Jay said:

There are plenty of people here willing to assist if you need help.

Ha ha. I have decided to take up on this, and thanks again. I will be harassing... errr ... ASKING for help very soon. ?

(In the regular "Intellivision Programming" forum for now.)

Edited by PuzZLeR
An added sentence.

On 1/16/2021 at 1:32 PM, nanochess said:

Just a friendly reminder:

The deadline for submissions is 00:00 GMT on the Sunday 31st of January 2021 (midnight on the 31st of January)!

Don't forget to send your entry to the email address per instructions in the GAME ENTRY section in the first post!

Speaking of the rules, this isn't a huge deal but I always use the IntyBASIC SDK.  I use "Intynew Space_command" to create a folder within the Projects folder (named Space_Combat).  My source file Space_Combat.bas is in this folder and the command "Intybuild Space_Combat" creates the Space_Combat.rom file. 

Do the judges want me to include instructions for building the rom without including the SDK or is everybody ok with the SDK version?  Just wondering.

7 minutes ago, fsuinnc said:

Speaking of the rules, this isn't a huge deal but I always use the IntyBASIC SDK.  I use "Intynew Space_command" to create a folder within the Projects folder (named Space_Combat).  My source file Space_Combat.bas is in this folder and the command "Intybuild Space_Combat" creates the Space_Combat.rom file. 

Do the judges want me to include instructions for building the rom without including the SDK or is everybody ok with the SDK version?  Just wondering.

I think there is no problem.

It is just a different way of invoking the compiler 

hi all, 1st post here, but have been watching for a bit of time. some very, very brilliant and very nice people here i have noticed, so want to be part of this gang ?

me and my family bought oscar's book and we love it! i would love to participate in this contest but it's a bit too late, i too have had troubles during this pandemic like others have mentioned just a few posts ago.

yeah, i know, another asking for an extension here... ? we r annoying, i know, but i too ask: why is it not 6 months of dev time like previous contests? we r robbed a whole month, ha ha! would it hurt to make it 6 months, like the others? (plz b nice, im only asking... ?)

also, i ask, have there been any female participants before? just curious. if not, then i'd love to be the 1st!

(btw - just background: i am too young to have grown up w/intellivision, but love retro games and love programming. i graduated in social sciences but took community college courses at the side w/c++, java, and others, and want to change directions in career. also, this contest is very interesting, and would b good practice for me, and lots of fun.)

nice to meet u all, thx for reading!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rinka said:

hi all, 1st post here, but have been watching for a bit of time. some very, very brilliant and very nice people here i have noticed, so want to be part of this gang ?

me and my family bought oscar's book and we love it! i would love to participate in this contest but it's a bit too late, i too have had troubles during this pandemic like others have mentioned just a few posts ago.

yeah, i know, another asking for an extension here... ? we r annoying, i know, but i too ask: why is it not 6 months of dev time like previous contests? we r robbed a whole month, ha ha! would it hurt to make it 6 months, like the others? (plz b nice, im only asking... ?)

also, i ask, have there been any female participants before? just curious. if not, then i'd love to be the 1st!

(btw - just background: i am too young to have grown up w/intellivision, but love retro games and love programming. i graduated in social sciences but took community college courses at the side w/c++, java, and others, and want to change directions in career. also, this contest is very interesting, and would b good practice for me, and lots of fun.)

nice to meet u all, thx for reading!

Welcome to the forums, you should submit whatever you can to the contest even if it’s not finished. Lots of games in the contest go on to be published eventually even if they don’t win.

• Like 1

Personally, one more month would make zero difference. I started my project before the contest begun on July 30, got some initial work done in late August and early September, then nothing until November when I plugged in a rudimentary software sprite routine and attached the title screen already made separately. Then unfortunately nothing. Right now there is nothing to judge, except perhaps the game idea and simplistic graphics and in that state, I don't feel it is meaningful to submit something. It is a waste of the judges' time and I would at best get feedback on something not yet implemented.

Actually I have toyed with the idea to finish something simpler just to contribute anything to the contest. Something that at least would be playable, even if it is trivial and as seen from the other entries, miles and light years from the current state of the trade when it comes to IntyBASIC games.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of changing dates either. I'm mentally done for now and am glad for the hard date so I can put it away for a bit. Just trying to finish up a presentable version. 

Just have a weekend gamejam starting on a friday night and pass in on sunday night. Starting from scratch. And then then follow that up with a another longer contest where some of those entires get more developled but still open to everyone.

do a 1 weekend thing next month.

5 hours ago, Steve Jones said:

Welcome to the forums, you should submit whatever you can to the contest even if it’s not finished. Lots of games in the contest go on to be published eventually even if they don’t win.

hi Steve. nice to meet you, fellow canadian. ? but thats ok, im good w/anyone from anywhere.

im afraid that my entry, if u can call it that at all is something slightly more sophisticated than pong at this point, and at least pong had a ping sfx when mine has no sound at all.

there is no way i could get something done in the next 3 days that even passes for a game, and even so, u wouldnt know what its trying to be anyway. i only got this book (as a gift-pass on) last xmas, and only picked up intybasic just before this. no way i can do it.

i also had many problems because of this stupid virus and i figure that its an unprecedented time and things can be excused. many things got delayed, even the new intellivision did too and probably will get delayed even more b/c of this. anyway figured it wouldnt hurt to at least ask for a full six months when it was the case before during better times.

3 hours ago, carlsson said:

It is a waste of the judges' time and I would at best get feedback on something not yet implemented.

hi carlsson. i was thinking the same way. i too dont want to waste their time w/something that i know should be there and isnt for them to tell me it isnt. doesnt make sense. i also dont want to insult the contest w/a couple of blocks dinging around doing nothing. this contest has standards.

5 minutes ago, digress said:

I'm not a fan of changing dates either. I'm mentally done for now and am glad for the hard date so I can put it away for a bit. Just trying to finish up a presentable version. 

Just have a weekend gamejam starting on a friday night and pass in on sunday night. Starting from scratch. And then then follow that up with a another longer contest where some of those entires get more developled but still open to everyone.

do a 1 weekend thing next month.

hi. lots of canadians here lol. i will continue to watch and learn and participate w/discussion, but if its still only 5 months then i have to wait for next contest. at least i can promise a great game for the next contest as i have a headstart lol

Edited by Rinka
  • Like 1

extend it, don't extend it.  It doesn't matter to me.  I'm pretty sure my entry is not going to get any better. Although, maybe I could start on another entry if I had another month.

But, you don't need  contest to program a game and post stuff in the forum.  I learn more reading the answers to other peoples questions than I do any other way.

My suggestion:

- Proceed with the original timeline. Like digress, I'd like to wrap things up. And like fsuincc, there's not much more I could do with an extra month... that is, without bank switching ?

- Late entries could still be sent, but would receive no scores. As a courtesy, judges would still provide feedback and encouragement. For anyone wanting to learn, that's what matters.

Anyway, whatever the organizers decide is fine by me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cmadruga said:

Not sure about Faded Quest, but without counting it (and Crayfish) there are still 7 entries. No need for bogus entries.

Faded Quest is on ice for now.  Too many things to build to get that game working.  I went with a more simpler entry, Depth of Nitemare, as the graphics and the source code were available for me to use. 

Well, with seven known entries projected to be finished and possibly a few not publically announced ones it seems the contest will round up nicely after all. It means those of us who have been procrastinating and/or had too much else to do to sit down for longer periods of time, can exhale and continue at our own pace, swapping between projects as inspiration comes. To be honest, I tend to get most coding done when I'm going away to a hack meetup for a weekend and in this past year there have been zero such events.

Good luck to all the final participants!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, carlsson said:

Well, with seven known entries projected to be finished and possibly a few not publically announced ones it seems the contest will round up nicely after all. It means those of us who have been procrastinating and/or had too much else to do to sit down for longer periods of time, can exhale and continue at our own pace, swapping between projects as inspiration comes. To be honest, I tend to get most coding done when I'm going away to a hack meetup for a weekend and in this past year there have been zero such events.

Good luck to all the final participants!

which is what i suggest that we do but virtually. So anyone who missed out we could do a short 2 day contest. Doesn't need to have a prize or anything just a 2 day thing or 1 week thing so you can get a working sample going to try and get some feedback and or interest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carlsson said:

Two days... I wonder if I ever made a working game from start to finish in two days. Even the CSSCGC entries tend to take me a little longer than so.

Two weeks perhaps which makes me consider a Valentine's Day just for fun challenge.

Would be cool to see a valentine-themed game!

• Like 1

I lie not. I'm for an extension. February is a short month anyway. Can't hurt, and would still be a full six months.

On a personal note (long, long, long, story short, and true) March 1st is a very special anniversary for me that goes back to my teenage days (no, it wasn't THAT long ago, ha ha). It's like a second birthday to me. But, that's me. Don't mind me babbling here.

5 hours ago, carlsson said:

Two weeks perhaps which makes me consider a Valentine's Day just for fun challenge.

Perhaps a compromise here? Halfway-half-month extention? A Valentine's Day deadline also sounds cool!

At any rate, I don't want to be a pain, and will be respectful whatever the Powers That Be decide. Just that I would love this extra time for polish, added levels, etc. I think I can come up with something of one level for the deadline. I'll see. Again, no promises. I've run into another compile problem, and may ask another question soon.

Edited by PuzZLeR
Better specifics.

Another comment from cmadruga that made me think. How about if we do indeed submit something by the deadline, THEN, we get a one week grace period to submit something else, but, say, with a 5 point penalty or something?

I think this would be more fair to those that do submit on time and those that take advantage of a short extension.

Just an idea, that's all.

On 1/27/2021 at 12:43 PM, Rinka said:

Hi Rinka! Welcome to the forums. You seem cool. Yes, another Canadian here. So far, we're all from Toronto, but, please don't hate us. ? (But, I'm originally from Montreal.)

I don't think I've seen a female participant yet. FYI, my last entry was a parody of Deadly Discs and Deadly Dogs w/a "sausage fest" theme. ?

My next game will be another Intellivision parody if I submit. (Yeah, that's my schtik, and the warped sense of humor is there because my intended audience is teenagers who may appreciate that.)

18 hours ago, Rinka said:

many things got delayed, even the new intellivision did too and probably will get delayed even more b/c of this. anyway figured it wouldnt hurt to at least ask for a full six months when it was the case before during better times.

Hey, I'm a big fan of the Intellivision Amico, and have been active on YouTube regarding it. (And, yes, had some "interactions" with a few trolls.) Yes, they are having their problems. Tommy (the CEO) at one point wasn't even allowed to go to his new office due to the lockdown in California! How're you gonna run a business like that?

Edited by PuzZLeR
Better sentences.

Just read all the comments.

Sorry, but it is way too late to extend the deadline (barely 5 days!!!) already several people is working behind scenes to prepare for judging the contest.

The 2018 contest was extended by one month, but if I remember right this was talked about one month before the deadline.

Next time I intend to have the full six month period for the contest.

BTW, welcome, Rinka! I hope you enjoy programming for Intellivision, many people will be happy of helping you with your doubts in the Intellivision Programming forum.

BTW2, thanks to all for the great effort put into your entries!

BTW3, ready for the crunch of the last 3 days? ?

Edited by nanochess