Jump to content
nanochess

IntyBASIC Programming Contest 2020 Rules

Recommended Posts

cmadruga already reached his quota of maximum 3 entries, so if he makes a fourth it must be submitted under pseudonym.

 

Like I mentioned in November, some quick stats from the previous contests:

 

2015-2016: Total 13 entries submitted, of which 3 were not posted in the forum before the deadline. 5 entries announced on the forum but never submitted.

2018: Total 12 entries submitted, of which 1 was not posted in the forum before the deadline. 0 entries announced on the forum but never submitted.

 

Since the bar has been raised quite a lot in the past few years, and now we have really high quality team entries, I would not be surprised if we see ~2 entries developed "in the dark", submitted that never were announced here. As mentioned, there will be at least some entries once announced but not submitted, so in that respect we'll not repeat the 2018 success, but I think the community at large benefits from not having half-hearted, grossly unfinished contest entries floating around. I mean there is no shortage of unfinished, often abandoned WIP ROMs as it is.

Edited by carlsson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, DZ-Jay said:

Yes, that would be nice.  You have just a few days to whip up your next masterpiece!  GO! :)

 

I would invite @nanochess as well -- our other highly prolific Intelliprogrammer -- but he's disqualified on account of, you know, being the head judge.

 

     -dZ.

Wow, working with Nano feels kind of intimidating, but I'm sure would be very instructive ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, carlsson said:

cmadruga already reached his quota of maximum 3 entries, so if he makes a fourth it must be submitted under pseudonym.

So if I submit it as "cmadruga1", are we good?

Figured if I keep spamming the contest I'm bound to win something. Remember the thing with monkeys and typewriters... 🤣

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, cmadruga said:

So if I submit it as "cmadruga1", are we good?

Or "mcadruga," which is a completely different person.  Sure.

 

45 minutes ago, cmadruga said:

Figured if I keep spamming the contest I'm bound to win something. Remember the thing with monkeys and typewriters... 🤣

Haha, you joke, but in my estimation, your entries this year seem to surpass even the most ambitious ones of past years.*  :)

 

Then again, there is the point that every year the maturity of the tools and collective experience of the community increases greatly, and of course; you've been working in teams.  So a pure apples-to-apples comparison is not possible.

 

Still.  Three full and polished, production-ready games ... that's gotta be some sort of record.  Certainly an achievement! 👍

 

      -dZ.

 

 

* NOTE: I am not a judge this year, so my personal opinion does not influence the outcome in any way.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, carlsson said:

You should submit as pznqehtn, nobody will be able to tell.

Hmmm... Does that mean "I'm a dummy" in Swedish?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DZ-Jay said:

Or "mcadruga," which is a completely different person.  Sure.

McAdruga... "Not me at all! He's just my distant Scottish cousin!"

 

1 hour ago, DZ-Jay said:

Then again, there is the point that every year the maturity of the tools and collective experience of the community increases greatly, and of course; you've been working in teams.  So a pure apples-to-apples comparison is not possible.

Oh absolutely, the combination of tools, literature and community support that are available nowadays automatically give anyone a great head start. Even for a pznqehtn like me, as they say in Swedish.

Working in teams is the way to go for me. So much fun!

Appreciate the comments!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And the contest is closed now!!!


intvsteve will proceed to validate entries and post to judges in order to evaluate each one.

 

We expect to have the results in one month from now!

 

Thanks everyone!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations and thanks to all who participated!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fdr4prez said:

how many entries have been submitted?

We are waiting for official information from @intvsteve

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Greetings my Friends.

 

I report to say that I have not been able to submit this year. I honestly gave it my best shot. Depsite my personal life and work I did want to be part of this contest very much. So, I am very disappointed as I did enjoy being part of the previous contests.

 

My problem was not in any ambition, or game logic. I was coding my best IntyBASIC work yet. Unfortunately, the ROM started getting too large, and I have not been able to manage the size. I have been able to figure out ASM ORG, the CFG files or the LST files somewhat. I do understand them, and have been able to compress much of the code too with suggestions, but it becomes a challenge when it seems that every new line now creates another growth problem. I think I may have to rewrite much of the code because I suspect a particular function, which recognizes collision detection in a maze is overly complex, and bloats my program being in most lines. It works 100% but adds too much fat. Needs a rewrite.

 

In other words, my game has become "car football".

 

Hence, I ran out of time managing this. I did very much appreciate the full six months as it added very much to my project towards it's intended completion. But, I also don't want to insult the contest with unfinished stuff. The bar is definitely raised this year, and I am very impressed with what I've seen. Great work my friends, and thanks for giving the Intellivision Community that much more! I'd love to see this stuff for purchase on cartridge or digital relase soon! You got my money! 😃

 

I still want to upload my ROM when better finished, whether it's a week or a few months from now, for feedback. I did do plenty more work on my last two entries since too. Hopefully new versions are out for these as well. (Hey, I do dream of releasing something one day, so the Community's feedback will be paramount!)

 

Shameless announcement despite my non-participation here. Just like my last entry being a parody of Deadly Discs/Deadly Dogs, and the one before parodying Intellivision history in general, this entry was to be a parody of Night Stalker. I really, really wanted this one part of the gang. No, it would not have won, but would have made an interesting companion IMO.

 

Again, forgive me my friends. I did try. I don't code for a living so this is a bit harder for me, but still rewarding at any rate. I will also stick around and help grow the Community in any way I can as I grow too.

 

Thanks so much.

Geordie G.

Edited by PuzZLeR
Mostly some grammar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@PuzZLeR It's all right, thanks for giving it a shot. Looking forward to see your game!

 

I was also wondering whether @Rinka was able to submit an entry. 

 

@intvsteve any other entries not previously disclosed in this forum?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, cmadruga said:

@PuzZLeR It's all right, thanks for giving it a shot. Looking forward to see your game!

 

I was also wondering whether @Rinka was able to submit an entry. 

 

@intvsteve any other entries not previously disclosed in this forum?

I intend to get to this tonight. My schedule's been a bit hectic lately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PuzZLeR said:

Greetings my Friends.

 

I report to say that I have not been able to submit this year. I honestly gave it my best shot. Depsite my personal life and work I did want to be part of this contest very much. So, I am very disappointed as I did enjoy being part of the previous contests.

 

My problem was not in any ambition, or game logic. I was coding my best IntyBASIC work yet. Unfortunately, the ROM started getting too large, and I have not been able to manage the size. I have been able to figure out ASM ORG, the CFG files or the LST files somewhat. I do understand them, and have been able to compress much of the code too with suggestions, but it becomes a challenge when it seems that every new line now creates another growth problem. I think I may have to rewrite much of the code because I suspect a particular function, which recognizes collision detection in a maze is overly complex, and bloats my program being in most lines. It works 100% but adds too much fat. Needs a rewrite.

 

In other words, my game has become "car football".

 

Hence, I ran out of time managing this. I did very much appreciate the full six months as it added very much to my project towards it's intended completion. But, I also don't want to insult the contest with unfinished stuff. The bar is definitely raised this year, and I am very impressed with what I've seen. Great work my friends, and thanks for giving the Intellivision Community that much more! I'd love to see this stuff for purchase on cartridge or digital relase soon! You got my money! 😃

 

I still want to upload my ROM when better finished, whether it's a week or a few months from now, for feedback. I did do plenty more work on my last two entries since too. Hopefully new versions are out for these as well. (Hey, I do dream of releasing something one day, so the Community's feedback will be paramount!)

 

Shameless announcement despite my non-participation here. Just like my last entry being a parody of Deadly Discs/Deadly Dogs, and the one before parodying Intellivision history in general, this entry was to be a parody of Night Stalker. I really, really wanted this one part of the gang. No, it would not have won, but would have made an interesting companion IMO.

 

Again, forgive me my friends. I did try. I don't code for a living so this is a bit harder for me, but still rewarding at any rate. I will also stick around and help grow the Community in any way I can as I grow too.

 

Thanks so much.

Geordie G.

 

Hi, Geordie,

 

I did not know the problem was so dire that it stopped you from submitting your game.  :(

 

Next time, if something like this happens and you can't find a way to solve it, just send me a PM and I'll do what I can.

 

In any case, try to finish the game anyway and release it when you can.  I'm sure it'll be equally appreciated by everyone.

 

    -dZ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2021 at 7:45 PM, fdr4prez said:

how many entries have been submitted?

We have 7 entries in contest!!!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/1/2021 at 7:51 AM, cmadruga said:

 

@intvsteve any other entries not previously disclosed in this forum?

We have received the equivalent of the entries shown in the forum.

 

Two didn't made it, but I think Faded Quest by @Kiwi was a in-progress title for his more recent entry, and @carlsson wasn't able to continue working on his Crayfish Party game.

Edited by nanochess
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nanochess said:

Faded Quest

That game require a lot more time to build, so I went with something easier to translate over to the Intellivision.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waiting on pins and needles!  I want to play all these games as submitted! :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...