IGNORED

Elite, what a mean game!

Randy

Any Elite players out there?  One of my favorite games, I kind of got back into it, and vintage ST gaming, because of Elite Dangerous on my PS4.  ED is a beautiful game but, being online all the time, suffers from connectivity issues all the time, that always-online shite is unacceptable and I won't play those types of games unless they are FPS.  Getting back to Elite on the ST, I had good memories but forgot how damn mean the game is, particularly when starting out, no docking computer and waves of enemies swarming in the Lave system make it so hard to get out the gate, I mean, it's just so mean!  I found a copy on a disk in my old collection of ST disks and there were several saved commander files, so I booted one up and I am "dangerous" and armed to the teeth.  Really did not want to be so advanced in case I missed some missions or other game parts, still have the Cobra MKIII and beam lasers, etc.  However, I am at the other end of the galaxy and each time I have gone from one planet to the other, I get jumped by at least 3 ships and while I can effectively deal one or two out, the damn third one always kills me.  So even at "dangerous" this is a mean game, really, WTF is going on here?

I had same feeling when I try to play it few years ago - fucking hard!

but I also played as a kid back in 90s and I manage to reach to the end (or almost) and I do not remember that it was so hard. My guess is that there is some system, at the begining, that are great for trade and easy money (or some other way for quick cash). 

1 hour ago, calimero said:

I had same feeling when I try to play it few years ago - fucking hard!

but I also played as a kid back in 90s and I manage to reach to the end (or almost) and I do not remember that it was so hard. My guess is that there is some system, at the begining, that are great for trade and easy money (or some other way for quick cash). 

Hard? I remember it being much easier than other versions of the game, primarily because you can get a shot off before you get in range of the enemy's guns. And, because of that, I was always quite disappointed in the ST version. Trying to make money with the original game is probably easier than it is with ED because you don't need so much of it.

I've had ED since launch and only periodically go back into it for a session every few months. Nowhere near Elite on it.

The beginning is by far the hardest, you start with very little and to get where you can actually do something, (docking computer, better laser, money for trading, etc.) requires a lot of work and luck.  A LOT!  Right now, I do have some commander saves that give me a big leg up, but since they are "offender" status, the cops are all over me.  And by using one of those files I don't know how many special missions I may be missing,  Still, a compelling game even at this point in gaming history.

OK got some time in with the old saved game, A LOT more fun having military lasers and docking computer as well as ECM.  Still need to save at every planet as you often get jumped by 3-4 pirates/thargoid ships.  Big tip:  learn for fight by putting pirates in rear and firing your rear laser to eliminate most of them before going head2head, H2H is a loser if you are taking on 3 or more.  At the level I am playing I run into many thargoids and they can take a beating before blowing up!