IGNORED

Is it me or is Hobgoblin HARD..

Mclaneinc

Done that many a time on the C64 and Amiga, I LOVE Flashback and I played it to death with zero cheats but it was so long a game I gave up and watched the Longplay of it and realised I was nowhere near the end :)

These days I can't sit and watch the longplay even as my neck gets too painful up after a short time.

On 8/20/2020 at 6:42 AM, Mclaneinc said:

With the demo for HGII posted by XXL I decided to have a play of the first game, now I love a Ghost 'n' Goblins game variant as much as the next person and considering the sprites etc I think its a lovely game but boy is it punishing or what?

Now I knock myself for fun but I wasn't an awful player BITD and I still love a game or 3 and I get through even with the arthritis etc but I'm struggling with HG...

Certainly a challenge even with me adding a cheat which is how I don't want to play it as much as I do love a cheat...(address $0068 if interested and I know about the Ctrl L as well)

If anything its made me want to beat it more and I love the game with HGII looking superb (but as hard)..

Any games you have found just super tough?

How does this address $0068 trickery works? I'm still a total noob regarding A8 stuff!

Its the location of the number of lives, you can either use Altirra's ability to freeze that address or find the code and remove the decrement instruction with a series of NOP instructions (No Operation or EA in Hex, basically does nothing) (or give yourself a huge number of lives using that address..)

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Thanks 1

On Thursday, August 20, 2020 at 4:42 AM, Mclaneinc said:

I think its a lovely game but boy is it punishing or what?

Here's some patches I made that may make it a little easier.

Hobgoblin:

Infinite Lives = [C668A5:EAEAXX]
Kill The Timer = [81E901:XXEAEA]
Enemy Can't Shoot = [F0C48A:EAEAXX]

Better late than never.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, EddyFree said:

Here's some patches I made that may make it a little easier.

Hobgoblin:

Infinite Lives = [C668A5:EAEAXX]
Kill The Timer = [81E901:XXEAEA]
Enemy Can't Shoot = [F0C48A:EAEAXX]

Better late than never.

Sorry to bother you guys again.

As much as I'm thankful for the workarounds provided, I still can't understand how to make those changes on the game code.

I want to run the game on a real machine (600XL).

Are there any programs that allow disassembling and editing the code? I mean, on a PC with Windows or Linux...

And, once the modifications were made, how to save the modified code as a .xex file?

Thank you for all of your support!