IGNORED

Dungeons of Death for C64 - Seeking information

Ahoy!! (couldn't resist!)    I found a box of 64 stuff  I had forgotten about in a closet, despite letting my c64 collection go back in the 90's. The only info on the web says this game doesn't exist.   I remember ordering DOD from a magazine ad and that it arrived with no box.  

So, my question, is this as rare as it appears?

And, can I play this on my C64mini?  (the vic20 version is on preorder)

TIA

Ron

Dungeon1.JPG

Dungeon2.JPG

Dungeon3.JPG

Dungeon4.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, original_gamer said:

can I play this on my C64mini?

From what I can tell, it doesn't support attaching a tape recorder to it. That means in order to play the game, you would have to attach a tape recorder to a regular PC, record the audio into a WAV file and then use a program to convert it into a TAP file. Once there, you might be able to put the TAP file on a USB stick and load it on the C64 Mini. If that is not enough, you would further need to convert the TAP into e.g. T64, D64 which involves a few more steps.

• Like 1

Thanks.

I find the loading instructions particularly interesting. Those cover TRS-80 CoCo on tape and disk, VIC-20 and C64 on tape and disk, TI-99/4A on tape, Sinclair (TS-1000, TS-1500 ??) on tape, TRS-80 MC-10 (!) on tape, IBM PC on disk. Would that mean this particular game was available on all those formats, or were those generic loading instructions for every game they published? I saw on GTW that versions for TRS-80 CoCo and VIC-20 are known to exist, plus now this one for the C64.

I've had the Vic20 version of this in my hands (it's the copy that the GTW entry references), but Gamebase64 is still missing the C64 version. If you are willing to loan it out to someone to transfer, we'd be very grateful too! And I can second Frank Gasking's site GTW if you want to send it their way.

19 hours ago, carlsson said:

Thanks.

I find the loading instructions particularly interesting. Those cover TRS-80 CoCo on tape and disk, VIC-20 and C64 on tape and disk, TI-99/4A on tape, Sinclair (TS-1000, TS-1500 ??) on tape, TRS-80 MC-10 (!) on tape, IBM PC on disk. Would that mean this particular game was available on all those formats, or were those generic loading instructions for every game they published? I saw on GTW that versions for TRS-80 CoCo and VIC-20 are known to exist, plus now this one for the C64.

I believe the loading instructions and the Aardvark Adventures page are both generic.

Would have been nice for them to recognize @original_gamer as the source, since this release would not exist without his work.

EDIT: I took a new look at the GTW page, and it appears the scene release may be from the disk version, recently found.  Thus, if Onslaught's release is from the disk version, then I rescind my criticism.

14 hours ago, evg2000 said:

@original_gamer what are the steps you went through to make the wav?  have a few tapes i want to try.  tia

I had absolutely no success making a wav file and running it through audiotap, even though I have a small home recording studio.  

I finally used wav-prg 4.2.1 with these settings:

I used a simple stereo to stereo cable , with one end plugged into the line-in on a Win7 pc and the other end in the headphone out jack on a jvc tdw309 cassette deck. The line=out on the jvc didn't have enough signal.  (I also tried two other tape decks before the jvc worked)

I adjusted the line-in on the pc to max under control panel sound / record.   

hope this helps!

wav-prg settings.PNG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I located the backups for the manual and other materials and re-scanned everything!

It is now a pdf with MUCH clearer scans.

Also, please accept the protection of my two most powerful characters (located in the pdf) while you build your own characters experience.

This great game is best enjoyed with 4 REAL players (and players choice of adult beverage).

Character Information Transfer Sheet.png

Dungeons of Death.7z Dungeons of Death.pdf

• Like 1

On 8/23/2020 at 7:19 AM, OLD CS1 said:

Would have been nice for them to recognize @original_gamer as the source, since this release would not exist without his work.

EDIT: I took a new look at the GTW page, and it appears the scene release may be from the disk version, recently found.  Thus, if Onslaught's release is from the disk version, then I rescind my criticism.

Onslaught's release is made from the tape files. I know as I was the one sending the disk version found by my group mate Black Beard to GTW64 after Onslaught's release. 

Onslaught gets all originals sent in to GTW64 by the way, and it has been like that for years, so I am not surprised.

One interesting thing is that the disk version actually had protection, which the tape version did not have. We supplied a version with the protection removed as well.  

Edited by hedning
added info
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is really amazing. 

Great job digging in your attic.

Do you mind sharing these other treasures with the forum?

As any respectable collector would ask, are there any thoughts of selling it? 

Do you have any idea what this thing worth? Its a retro-rical (haha) question. I do, and its a lot! 

If you won't sell it just keep it in a clean and protected environment.

Cheers and thanks for digging up this amazing piece of history.

Kostas

• 2 weeks later...