IGNORED

Is anyone getting a PSX ODE (XStation)?

Preorders start tomorrow I believe on Castlemaniagames

I dont even have a ps1 haha , just ps2 and vita. I know ps2 with OPL does emulation ps1 which isn't great, so I've never bothered... but maybe I can hold out for a proper ODE one day for that?

Else, for most of the games I havent played on PSX that aren't on DC (for the best version of them, 6th gen leap from 5th) or Saturn / 64, I have a Vita and got in on a few PS store sales when I picked one up in 2019. I love handhelds so PSX on Vita is a child hood dream come true. 

But I am still tempted, because I am a sucker for ODE's and flashcards. It does require some soldering though for set up, it isn't just a plug and play ODE. But looks more promising that PSIO 

I'm tempted!

Right now the best solution for playing PSX titles without relying on an optical drive is a hacked PSP GO with cradle and Dual Shock 3.  The compatibility is excellent, much higher than the PSIO—I have a very large collection of JPN PSX games, and every single one works perfectly.  However, there are a ton of failure points for this solution, and it's getting difficult (or expensive) to track down the cradle and even DS3s.  The PSP GO also suffers from slightly poor video quality compared with a genuine PSX.

The PSX is up there with the NES/FC as my favorite console of all time, and I'd love to have a good ODE solution for the original hardware.  I've done some minor console mods before, and I'm honestly tempted to get an XStation and pick up a cheap PSX just as an intermediate soldering project.  I'm curious to see if the XStation will be able to save games to virtual memory cards like the PSP does.

9 hours ago, newtmonkey said:

I'm tempted!

Right now the best solution for playing PSX titles without relying on an optical drive is a hacked PSP GO with cradle and Dual Shock 3.  The compatibility is excellent, much higher than the PSIO—I have a very large collection of JPN PSX games, and every single one works perfectly.  However, there are a ton of failure points for this solution, and it's getting difficult (or expensive) to track down the cradle and even DS3s.  The PSP GO also suffers from slightly poor video quality compared with a genuine PSX.

The PSX is up there with the NES/FC as my favorite console of all time, and I'd love to have a good ODE solution for the original hardware.  I've done some minor console mods before, and I'm honestly tempted to get an XStation and pick up a cheap PSX just as an intermediate soldering project.  I'm curious to see if the XStation will be able to save games to virtual memory cards like the PSP does.

I think 5501 is the only one that supports Xstation + PS1 digital but 

if I weren't interested in PS1 digital, whats the best model out of the supported ones for xstation:

SCPH-100x, SCPH-5xxx and some SCPH-700x series consoles. Specifically, motherboard models that are supported are: - PU-7 - PU-8 - PU-18

Looks like Castlemania preorders are up now? 

Technically you don't need soldering I thought?  Just have to lift pins, or do they have to be desoldered first?

The device sounds great and all, but I've got the PSIO, and with as seldom I use that, just not in the mood for another.  I'd also need another PS1, all I've got are a couple SCPH-7501's.

1 hour ago, Greg2600 said:

Technically you don't need soldering I thought?  Just have to lift pins, or do they have to be desoldered first?

The device sounds great and all, but I've got the PSIO, and with as seldom I use that, just not in the mood for another.  I'd also need another PS1, all I've got are a couple SCPH-7501's.

I think it is both, pin lifting + soldering

Starts at 14:30 for the XStation install 

15 minutes ago, Greg2600 said:

Yeah you do have to use an iron to lift the pins.  Pass for me for now.  Also that video also features the PS1 Digital install, and honestly, they need to have one just for X-Station to avoid confusion. 

I don’t think it’s meant to be the de facto install guide. The installer just shoots videos of paid work he does in general. 

his end goal is more soldering tools and tips than end to end walkthroughs how to install products — if that makes sense. 

it’s split up evenly enough that I don’t find it too confusing

but I would hope there’s better documentation than that. I think that’s just the sneak peak 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

looks like orders go out the 14th and can take up to a week to fulfill. 

That's kinda cool

also looks like Terra Onion's MODE will support PS1 with a future firmware update and a separate purchase quick solder board that likely goes after the same points as Xstation 

PSIO must be on life support by now 

Edited by playstays_shun

On 8/21/2020 at 3:03 AM, newtmonkey said:

I'm tempted!

Right now the best solution for playing PSX titles without relying on an optical drive is a hacked PSP GO with cradle and Dual Shock 3.  

Wouldn't this be the same emulation as what's offered on a Vita? In that case, the PSTV would be as good no?

Either way, I dont like emulation that isn't FPGA / circuit level. I have a handful of games for portable mode though on my Vita I got on PSN sales. 

im also excited to bust out my newly sourced Dual Analog with the long handles and concave joysticks 

Edited by playstays_shun

56 minutes ago, playstays_shun said:

Wouldn't this be the same emulation as what's offered on a Vita? In that case, the PSTV would be as good no?

Either way, I dont like emulation that isn't FPGA / circuit level. I have a handful of games for portable mode though on my Vita I got on PSN sales. 

im also excited to bust out my newly sourced Dual Analog with the long handles and concave joysticks 

PSTV adds noticeable input latency and you're relegated to a HD TV. PSP GO is ideal because it outputs PS1 content at 240p, great for guys that want to hook to a CRT, or those that do upscaling, or both.

RE: Do you want an X-Station? For me, yes, but will have to wait a bit due to cost of the kit combined with having to pay for an install.

PSP go's video output isn't nearly as sharp as using a PS1 or PS2, unfortunately. It's perfectly usable, but you might notice it being not as sharp as it could be, and those who care about such things may want to consider using a PS1 or PS2 instead. PS3 is also an option, especially since it has HDMI output, but PS1 download games on the PSN store may not look as nice as putting the actual disc in the PS3.

42 minutes ago, KeeperofLindblum said:

I wouldn't mind the PSX ODE, and I would definitely get one if I just had throwaway money.

However, what I'm much more interested in is the PS1 Digital with the HDMI out. O_O

https://www.black-dog.tech/ps1digital.html

Yeah the ps1digital looks awesome! I love my dcdigital and cant imagine the same treatment for ps1 not being awesome

But at $160 and maybe $100 for the install, its getting a little too much for me. Will have to do OEM s-video to retrotink 2x pro for a while. 

Still tempting but.. the fact wave 1 sold out in like 3 seconds didnt give me an option anyways 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Too much work and too high cost for me personally cause the PS1 isn't a favorite of mine. I'm sure many people have the PS1 as their favorite machine and this will be a God sent to them.

I get this perspective but $99 for a fully featured ODE, even factoring in there is an install cost as well, is pretty fairly priced. I think there are parts of the optical drive hardware that are built into the motherboard therefore there will never be a plug and play solution. 

Most ODE's/flashcarts, run in the mid $100's, to lower $200's these days. 

Edited by playstays_shun

15 hours ago, playstays_shun said:

Yeah the ps1digital looks awesome! I love my dcdigital and cant imagine the same treatment for ps1 not being awesome

But at $160 and maybe $100 for the install, its getting a little too much for me. Will have to do OEM s-video to retrotink 2x pro for a while. 

Still tempting but.. the fact wave 1 sold out in like 3 seconds didnt give me an option anyways 

Yeah, the full cost of the PS1Digital is astounding... I love that it's a thing though!

The problem is I can't justify spending $200+ just to make it happen. There's so many methods you could do with $200 or less depending on how thrifty you are...

• PS1 via upscaler (retrotink)
  • PS2 via component
  • PS3 via HDMI
  • Emulation

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Definitely thinking about this.  I've never gotten a system modded before.  For a long time I was playing on the playstation mini with those truebluemini sticks on an hdtv.  Then I picked up a crt over the summer, and never having played a PS1 on a crt, I was completely floored to the point where I was drooling.  I can't believe how amazing N64 and PS1 era games look on CRT and I'm so mad that when I got back into those systems I was using LCD tech.  My PS1 still works, but you have to molest the eject button to get the lid to stay closed which is annoying, but still interested in this.