IGNORED

Buying NOS vs Used

adamchevy

I haven’t had much experience buying NOS vintage game consoles, but I have purchased a lot of used ones. Has anyone had much experience buying NOS? What would you recommend? I’m thinking that obviously it depends on the condition of the NOS item. But also since it hasn’t had any electricity move through it maybe the caps are all toast? I appreciate any comments. Thanks!

It's a gamble, if it is a system not known for aging issues with the internal components odds are in your favor you're getting something fresh that works.  BUT, if you're wanting new but know something is surely or likely failed such as a Virtual Boy (ribbon cable needs solder) the horrid crap quality caps that Sega and NEC used on basically anything, factor self or shipped off repair of the system into the price if you're not just a NOS shelf queen who stares at sealed boxes then it really doesn't matter.

• Like 1

If you're buying to play, then a NOS console won't be worth the amount of money you are going to pay to obtain it. Gone are the days of buying a NOS Dreamcast, for instance, for under $100. There's also no guarantee that that caps won't be leaking or other parts won't have gone defective in the 20+ years it's been in storage somewhere. I think NOS consoles should be avoided unless you are a hardware collector that has to have everything in mint condition.

Accessories on the other hand are a different story, depending on the price. Having a nice, fresh controller with no button or pad wear can be worth the cash if you play the system religiously (like me with the NES--I was really happy with the NOS controllers I bought a few years ago).

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1

For me it's a case of "is it cheaper than used" because very very very occasionally it is when it's something either they didn't realise the value of or want it gone fast. 

I agree with Austin that accessories and controllers might have some additional reasons to factor in. Sometimes it's just nice to know you are the only person who has used that controller. I found dried snot on one many years ago, so yeah. 

Edit: while not classic gaming as such, sometimes high Street second hand prices is silly as well, Making buying brand new cheaper. The mini Neo Geo thing used to be £30 cheaper buying from amazon than buying it second hand on the high Street. The difference between buying a new console boxed than buying one second hand is also sometimes so slight it would pay to just buy brand new or take advantage of game bundle deals. 

Edited by Mikebloke
  • Like 1

Only thing NOS that I can remember buying was a Sega Genesis... it was the model 2 version that came with the Lion King game.  This was around 2005 or so, so it wasn't terribly old, but still, was brand new.  It worked perfectly of course.  I just wish my wife (at the time) had let me keep the box.

I agree with others, that some hardware that has been known to have component failure (capacitors mainly) can be a gamble.  Used might be in worse physical shape, but can also be known as working or not.  I mean... as long as the seller is trustworthy...

And NOS controllers can be surprising if you don't remember what they felt like new.  Stiffer d-pads and buttons and such.  But as others have said, it really is nice to know that no one else has sullied it.  Wasn't there some service recently that offered, for a fee, to "break in" new controllers?  Does anyone else remember that?

Games can also be a gamble, I think, with dead batteries or disc rot or other things, but I think they're generally safer than hardware.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mikebloke said:

Edit: while not classic gaming as such, sometimes high Street second hand prices is silly as well, Making buying brand new cheaper. The mini Neo Geo thing used to be £30 cheaper buying from amazon than buying it second hand on the high Street. The difference between buying a new console boxed than buying one second hand is also sometimes so slight it would pay to just buy brand new or take advantage of game bundle deals. 

Still a fair argument to pull out so why not?  With all the bad behavior right now with scalping things it's fair enough to bring up NOS vs used in this very day too.  Effectively despite Nintendo's pleading, the 3DS(2DS) line is dead, major retail like Gamestop, BB, and many Walmart and Target don't carry the handhelds anymore and the few that do are cycling out the last not wanting to waste the space and games are relegated to left overs, second hand, and a few of the selects Nintendo still mails out.  The supposedly still for sale New 2DS XL is $99.99 but good luck buying it online NEW for under $120 without a bit of good luck as they're in that $120-140ish range now as those who can find them fast local or through online trackers are buying to make a few bucks.  There's no issue with old parts, old caps, defects, hell they're still repaired and warrantied, but that's what we're at.  Do you buy new through a clown, get lucky(I did, arrived today paid $100), buy a Nintendo refurb that's warrantied, or a second hand one for basically the same price on ebay(etc) with no warranty Nintendo gives.  It sucks, but that's where it's at now.  Games are the same too in quite a few cases, those $20 Selects are like $30-35 new on the market.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2020 at 11:45 AM, adamchevy said:

But also since it hasn’t had any electricity move through it maybe the caps are all toast? I appreciate any comments. Thanks!

I haven't experienced turning on a NOS device and having the caps blow up. But I have heard stories that it happens. Those are really about the only parts that suffer with time and inactivity, aside from batteries and  rubber bands.

• Like 1

Unused old stuff is often preferable. It's usually factory-clean and you know you have the right manuals and stuff, might even get some cool stickers.

And you get to remove those plastic films and "pull" tabs yourself, ensuring virgin enjoyment.

But used consoles can be REALLY cheap; especially if you learn how to repair a few things.

So it's mostly a financial question, unless you are focused on the rare stuff that isn't offered anywhere, then its more like hunter/gatherer.

I've been known to blow more money than I should on things like go-karts, camping, home projects, and other toys, so I wouldn't stress about that unless I really couldn't afford it.

Edited by fiddlepaddle

When I had a TI 99/4A and I wanted to try to use Atari Joysticks, I found a brand new adapter on eBay.  It arrived still sealed in its blister pack with the Y cable curled along the side of the plug.  I opened it up, tried it and found that it had a short in it.  I think I had to keep the cord somewhat bent, like it was in the package, to get it to work.  I can't remember.  So either it had an issue when it was sent or it developed an issue while sitting in the package for 30-odd years.

• Like 1

When I had a TI 99/4A and I wanted to try to use Atari Joysticks, I found a brand new adapter on eBay.  It arrived still sealed in its blister pack with the Y cable curled along the side of the plug.  I opened it up, tried it and found that it had a short in it.  I think I had to keep the cord somewhat bent, like it was in the package, to get it to work.  I can't remember.  So either it had an issue when it was sent or it developed an issue while sitting in the package for 30-odd years.

That’s exactly what I’m worried about. I think I’d be better off finding one that’s been used but kept in excellent condition. The amount $1250 would be worth it for a sealed Vectrex. Ofcourse as has been pointed out by many on this forum in the past, things are worth what people are willing to pay for them. I think that’s how house appraisals work as well, atleast back in the early 00s they did.