IGNORED

Which model Intellivision should I get?

So I'm considering purchasing my first-ever Intellivision console but I'm having trouble deciding which model to get. The only one that I've ruled out is the Intellivision II. I came close to pulling the trigger on a boxed INTV System III but it had the version with the flat keypad controllers, and I've heard those keypads should be avoided when possible. I've heard good things about the Sears Super Video Arcade due to the placement and removability of the controllers, plus it looks super retro. They seem kind of hard to track down, though. The below picture is an original boxed Intellivision that is for sale near me and they're asking $100. Was thinking it could be worth it if they came down a little in price. I definitely don't need to get a boxed unit - console plus some games would be fine, too.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

117103522_10157461046227828_2198053322379925012_n.jpg

Detachable controllers, and quality just seems better on everything overall, especially the controllers.

The only plus on a 2 is a exterior power supply but everything else on it is horrible.

I would run a small fan or laptop cooler on any one you pick for any play thats not very quick.

• Thanks 1

Assuming it works, pull the trigger on that beautiful 2609 immediately. You will be having the "original" Intellivision experience. Don't worry about "detachable" controllers. The 2609 controllers are plugged in as well -- just internally. You just have to remove some phillips head screws and pop open the case to plug/unplug them if you ever need to.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Britishcar said:

Assuming it works, pull the trigger on that beautiful 2609 immediately. You will be having the "original" Intellivision experience. Don't worry about "detachable" controllers. The 2609 controllers are plugged in as well -- just internally. You just have to remove some phillips head screws and pop open the case to plug/unplug them if you ever need to.

Yeah? $100 isn't too steep? Right I have heard that it's easy enough to remove the controllers from the original model if need be by opening 'er up.

1 minute ago, Britishcar said:

Yeap and the entire bottom of the Sears units and boards are identical to the standard 2609. I know because my Sears unit is actually a 2609 with the Sears top and detachable cable harnesses plugged into where the stock controllers would have gone. The original main board for the Sears was dead and I never kept it to work on later.

• Like 1

I pulled to trigger on an INTV System III today for $60 shipped ($45 plus shipping). It looks like it is in decent shape....just needs a cleaning. But it works according to the seller...we shall see :)

Not sure if it is the "best", but it is the most nostalgic for me. I never owned the original Intellivision models when they came out...passed on the system entirely. The INTV System III was my first Intellivision....purchased on a whim for $59.95 at TRU around 1985. Not sure what happened to that console...lost in time. But, I wanted it again. I liked the aesthetic (silver and black) as well as the power light.

Does anyone know if it is the same with opening and unplugging controllers? What is it a DB9 connection inside? That would be really convenient to add an extension cable at least to the player 1 side.

1 hour ago, eightbit said:

I pulled to trigger on an INTV System III today for $60 shipped ($45 plus shipping). It looks like it is in decent shape....just needs a cleaning. But it works according to the seller...we shall see :)

Not sure if it is the "best", but it is the most nostalgic for me. I never owned the original Intellivision models when they came out...passed on the system entirely. The INTV System III was my first Intellivision....purchased on a whim for $59.95 at TRU around 1985. Not sure what happened to that console...lost in time. But, I wanted it again. I liked the aesthetic (silver and black) as well as the power light.

Does anyone know if it is the same with opening and unplugging controllers? What is it a DB9 connection inside? That would be really convenient to add an extension cable at least to the player 1 side.

I totally respect nostalgia winning out for you! I, too, like the look of the System III. I hope your keypad is of the tactile variety. Yes, my understanding is that under the hood it's the same as the Intellivision 1, so DB-9s and extension cables should work fine. 

• Like 1

No, the controller connector on the intellivision main board is not a db9.  It's 9 pins in a row, spaced 0.1 inches apart.  Is there a term for those 9-pin female connectors on the controllers?

2 hours ago, eightbit said:

... The INTV System III was my first Intellivision....purchased on a whim for $59.95 at TRU around 1985. ...

Do you remember what other video game systems were on the shelves at toysrus at the time?

26 minutes ago, mr_me said:

No, the controller connector on the intellivision main board is not a db9.  It's 9 pins in a row, spaced 0.1 inches apart.  Is there a term for those 9-pin female connectors on the controllers?

Do you remember what other video game systems were on the shelves at toysrus at the time?

Yeah, pretty much from what I recall:

Master System

NES

Atari 7800 Pro System (maybe? I am thinking no but I recall seeing some kind of Atari system there...maybe residual 2600 stock)

C64

Vic-20 (yup, Vics were still for sale in 1985...maybe residual stock)

And, I think I saw either the Atari 400 or 800. Toys R Us (at least the one by me which now sadly sits as an abandoned building with the logo still on it) had a pretty nice video game and computer section that spanned two or three aisles. The first outer isle had all of these game consoles and computers behind glass with tickets hanging outside that you would grab and bring to the register. Pay for said system and then you had to actually leave the building and drive around to the back loading dock, give the loading dock guy your receipt and he would go fetch the console or computer for you. In later years they did that at a counter in the store that led to the back room, but for many years that's how we picked up our systems.

I remember them doing this with new games too. I had to get a ticket to buy Afterburner and Phantasy Star for the SMS, but at the time these games were released they had that inside store counter pickup to collect the games.

When I think about it, it was probably more like late 1986 when I purchased the INTV III there. I just saw it and was like "what the heck is this"? I knew nothing about the Intellivision. Nobody I knew had one, nobody ever spoke about it. When the commercials were showing in the early 80's I never really paid much attention. In late 1986 I was 11 years old, to give you an idea. I was most likely going in to see if any new Master System games were released, saw nothing, had to buy something, and saw it for $60....which was only like $10 more than what Afterburner sold for...so I said what the heck and picked it up.

I knew at that point it was way out of date, but it felt like the old stuff (Atari VCS, Colecovision) and I dug it.

Edited by eightbit

28 minutes ago, eightbit said:

When think about it, it was probably more like late 1986 when I purchased the INTV III there. I just saw it and was like "what the heck is this"? I knew nothing about the Intellivision. Nobody I knew had one, nobody ever spoke about it. When the commercials were showing in the early 80's I never really paid much attention. In late 1986 I was 11 years old, to give you an idea. I was most likely going in to see if any new Master System games were released, saw nothing, had to buy something, and saw it for $60....which was only like $10 more than what Afterburner II sold for...so I said what the heck and picked it up.

Sounds like 1986.  Nineteen-eightyfive would have looked very different.  So you had an SMS at the time.  What intellivision cartridges did you get?  They must have cost under $20 each.  What did you think of them?

The first game I picked up was "Beauty and the Beast" and I really liked it. It was simple and felt to me just like a tiny bit of a Donkey Kong rip off....but it was fun. I eventually got Astrosmash and Burgertime. I thought Burgertime was a fantastic port. Watching videos of it today and still it looks and sounds great to me. I also recall having Demon Attack. I had it for the 2600 and for the Vic and was used to how Demon Attack "should be"...and I was surprised to see that it was very very different. What a unique version of the game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sixersfan105 said:

This chatter is not helping me decide which model to get! ?

I think you should get the one that you see for $100...and do it NOW. Forget the Intellivision II in my personal opinion. Removable joysticks and low profile yes, but not worth the fact that it does not have 100% compatibility (some games actually say "Not for Intellivision II" on the boxes...Donkey Kong comes to mind) and it does not work with the voice module.

That console is in really great shape. A lot of these have dents and heavy scratches in the metal, discs ripped off..etc. Just get it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sears is best overall....controllers are great. Tandy probably looks the coolest. The original is great because its original.

That 1 for $100 if its working and good shape is an ok deal....i would try to talk them down a bit if you can....75-80. But if you dont have to ship thats a plus. Too bad the tape on the box. If it has foams thats a bonus too.

But like others say the originals, super pro, tandy and III are not a db9 on the inside...but they can be unplugged and replaced if you open up the console.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, eightbit said:

I think you should get the one that you see for $100...and do it NOW. Forget the Intellivision II in my personal opinion. Removable joysticks and low profile yes, but not worth the fact that it does not have 100% compatibility (some games actually say "Not for Intellivision II" on the boxes...Donkey Kong comes to mind) and it does not work with the voice module.

That console is in really great shape. A lot of these have dents and heavy scratches in the metal, discs ripped off..etc. Just get it!

The Intellivision 2 definitely works with the voice module,I have 3 of them.

What I like about the intellivision 2 is it matches the color of the system changer and computer module as well.

Yes,the side buttons for the controllers do suck I got to admit!

But I have a lot of flashback controllers with adapters that fixed that problem.

Get the Sears model like a lot of guys here say.?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wolfy62 said:

The Intellivision 2 definitely works with the voice module,I have 3 of them.

What I like about the intellivision 2 is it matches the color of the system changer and computer module as well.

Yes,the side buttons for the controllers do suck I got to admit!

But I have a lot of flashback controllers with adapters that fixed that problem.

Get the Sears model like a lot of guys here say.?

Good to know regarding the voice module. My knowledge on the Intellivision II is based on what I have been told in the past and have seen in video reviews. They always seem to say that the voice module does not work. One review (I think it was classic game room) actually had the voice module and two games that are compatible with it and said the same thing. Maybe it was just that his voice module didn't work ;)

I hate when false into spreads around and it is good to get actual confirmation from someone who owns the hardware and knows. Thank you!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, eightbit said:

I think you should get the one that you see for $100...and do it NOW.

I'm gonna see if I can talk them down a little on price. I think I'd love a Sears Super Video Arcade but seems to be slim pickings with availability right now. 

33 minutes ago, stupus said:

That 1 for $100 if its working and good shape is an ok deal....i would try to talk them down a bit if you can....75-80. But if you dont have to ship thats a plus.

Yeah I'm gonna see if they'd go lower. Then I could always get a Sears model down the road if the opportunity presents itself.