IGNORED

Here I go again... trying to emulate C=64...

Torr

Can someone point me towards a good emu, that ALSO has some kind of "idiots guide to..." somewhere?

I've been fiddling with CCS64 and VICE for a few days now and haven't successfully loaded even one ROM...

I've seemingly "attached" some disk images or carts or whatever... but fat load of good that does me... it doesnt autoload any programs on the disk or bring me to a basic command prompt where I can type Load /program name/ ,8 and stuff.... it's just... its maddening and it's been this way EVERY time I've tried emulating the C=64.

My C64 mini is unplayable now, plus it had issues with too many games, so it'd be nice to play using an emulator that works better.

Maybe I'm just too stupid, please don't be afraid to tell me if that's the case...

I mean, if I gave someone a copy of Gens, and a couple genesis ROMs and they couldn't figure it out, I'd say "Fuck it dude, just play Minesweeper".

I really don't understand why I'm having so much trouble with these emulators. 10-20 years ago I blamed it on technology and early software not being able to handle the emulation in an easy-to-use fashion... but it's 2020 now... the C64 mini basically works plug and play... why can't I figure out even ONE of these emulators???

Edited by Torr

I know the ROM images are fine... they're the same ones I used with my C64 mini.... like I say, pick a file, and it loads... plug and play basically.

I can't even get to any kind of actual C-64 screen with these emulators. Just windows, upon windows... with way too many options and all of them are settings with none of them being just... "START".

Fuck it. Admins?.. you can delete this thread.... I'm done trying to emulate the C-64. I'll always have my memories, and those few months that my C=64 mini was playable.

Edited by Torr

Vice starts with the c64 basic interpreter prompt, no additional bios files required.  It auto loads and auto runs disk images, auto warps during loading.  It's one of the best emulators I've used.

I'm not familiar with c64 mini so don't know if disk image files are compatible.  But even before loading anything, Vice should start with the c64 interpreter command line.

-Download LATEST Vice: https://sourceforge.net/projects/vice-emu/

-start x64sc.exe

-choose "Attach a disk image"

-navigate to an unzipped disk image you want to play

-click on Autostart

-play the game

I haven't used Vice in a while, so that's what I just did from scratch, and it works just fine. It always one of the best emus out there but now I see it also has nice menus, and a very good CRT mode.

Not sure why "Smart attach" did not work for me when used with archives...it loads them, throws the READY prompt, but when I type RUN nothing happens.

17 hours ago, Torr said:

Can someone point me towards a good emu, that ALSO has some kind of "idiots guide to..." somewhere?

I've been fiddling with CCS64 and VICE for a few days now and haven't successfully loaded even one ROM...

I've seemingly "attached" some disk images or carts or whatever... but fat load of good that does me... it doesnt autoload any programs on the disk or bring me to a basic command prompt where I can type Load /program name/ ,8 and stuff.... it's just... its maddening and it's been this way EVERY time I've tried emulating the C=64.

My C64 mini is unplayable now, plus it had issues with too many games, so it'd be nice to play using an emulator that works better.

Maybe I'm just too stupid, please don't be afraid to tell me if that's the case...

I mean, if I gave someone a copy of Gens, and a couple genesis ROMs and they couldn't figure it out, I'd say "Fuck it dude, just play Minesweeper".

I really don't understand why I'm having so much trouble with these emulators. 10-20 years ago I blamed it on technology and early software not being able to handle the emulation in an easy-to-use fashion... but it's 2020 now... the C64 mini basically works plug and play... why can't I figure out even ONE of these emulators???

I use Vice, but it's not the easiest emulator to get working, my front-end has to pass quite a long command-line to vice,  although I'm sure a lot of that can be saved in config files (like system rom locations).   There is a menu within VICE when you press F12, where you can set many options too.

one thing that's nice about Vice compared to the other emulators is that if you attach a disk when you boot, it will try to autorun it, so you don't have to type a command.

Come on guys, Vice is just like most other emulators out there. Start it, choose an image, play a game.  I can't really see how this process could be simplified*. And it should work for the vast majority of titles. Some might need joystick swap, that's the most common "problem" with C64 emulation. It's nowhere near as complex as Amiga or early Atari 8-bit.

And if you really can't handle Vice you might always try playing C64 games thorugh Retroarch (though it's definitely not simpler than the above).

*I've tried it again and you can actually drag and drop tap/dsk files onto the emu window. It works perfectly :)

Since some of you obviously didn't read my post, it's not an issue with a bad ROM, or not understanding that C64 games like to use a random controller port...

It's not seeing  ANYTHING but a blank window with File, Edit, Etc across the top, no matter what I load, or attach, or whatever, and then click start, or autorun or whatever.... just a blank window.

So I was right. Apparently I'm too stupid to use it. Not a big loss really. Helps me focus on other games I want to play.

25 minutes ago, Torr said:

Since some of you obviously didn't read my post,

I did read your post. Did you read mine?

-Download LATEST Vice: https://sourceforge.net/projects/vice-emu/

-start x64sc.exe

-choose "Attach a disk image"

-navigate to an unzipped disk image you want to play

-click on Autostart

-play the game

If you follow these steps and still get the blank screen then there's something wrong with your OS/PC. I run Win 10 on a bog standard PC and if it works here then it means it should work on your side.

21 minutes ago, youxia said:

I did read your post. Did you read mine?

If you follow these steps and still get the blank screen then there's something wrong with your OS/PC. I run Win 10 on a bog standard PC and if it works here then it means it should work on your side.

Did they change it so that you don't need the kernel rom and disk roms anymore?

The vice c64 emulator comes with an 8kB kernal rom file and 8kB basic rom file.  It should work without any additional files.  I checked both the current version 3.4 and version 2.4.

2 hours ago, Torr said:

Since some of you obviously didn't read my post, it's not an issue with a bad ROM, or not understanding that C64 games like to use a random controller port...

It's not seeing  ANYTHING but a blank window with File, Edit, Etc across the top, no matter what I load, or attach, or whatever, and then click start, or autorun or whatever.... just a blank window.

So I was right. Apparently I'm too stupid to use it. Not a big loss really. Helps me focus on other games I want to play.

If you don't get the c64 basic interpreter prompt; one possible explanation is an incompatible cartridge image that's been set to load by default.  I'd delete vice and try again until you get the basic interpreter, if you haven't tried already.  There could be an SDL incompatibility with the computer graphics system.

What operating system are you using?

Edited by mr_me

1 hour ago, youxia said:

.... then there's something wrong with your OS/PC.

I've worked tech support call centers. And I know that THIS is the response you give when you're dealing with something you don't understand.

Like I said. Mods... delete, or at least lock, this thread. It's going nowhere.

EDIT. Seriously... the next comment that is as "helpful" as the rest have been WILL get a response worthy of locking/deleting this thread.

I just want a how to guide.... if you don't have one.. fine, close the tab and read the next thread.

Edited by Torr
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, zzip said:

Did they change it so that you don't need the kernel rom and disk roms anymore?

The steps I posted are literally what I have done, on a PC which never had Vice on it. It took less than 5 minutes to do. The only reason I can think of why this is not working for OP is that some common libraries like VB are missing on his PC, though I'd expect VICE to mention they're needed if that was the case.

We all make daft mistakes and overlook simplest of things. I've done it zillion of times, the latest was today when I was trying to install Win 98 on an old PC and got stumped for 2 hours because I got my drive letters mixed up. Similarly to the OP I posted a question on forums, the difference is that instead of throwing a hissy fit and turning on people trying to help me I did consider what they were saying and realized it was my mistake.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, youxia said:

The steps I posted are literally what I have done, on a PC which never had Vice on it. It took less than 5 minutes to do. The only reason I can think of why this is not working for OP is that some common libraries like VB are missing on his PC, though I'd expect VICE to mention they're needed if that was the case.

We all make daft mistakes and overlook simplest of things. I've done it zillion of times, the latest was today when I was trying to install Win 98 on an old PC and got stumped for 2 hours because I got my drive letters mixed up. Similarly to the OP I posted a question on forums, the difference is that instead of throwing a hissy fit and turning on people trying to help me I did consider what they were saying and realized it was my mistake.

I've been running Vice in my setup for years,  and it used to be such a bear to set up that I don't change my configuration more than I need to get the latest version running, so I've got command line options being passed that give the paths to 3 or 4 different system roms.

Good to hear that they simplified it.

Look, sorry for being snappy. This is all I have to say on this matter.

I am seriously DONE with this whole C=64 thing.

I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to load even a SINGLE... thing, yes thing, not even a fucking

64 KRAM SYSTEM 38911 BASIC BYTES FREE

READY

*Blinking square*

Not even that, in ANY C64 emulator.

I've been trying off an on since around 2003-2004.

I keep saying, its 2010,.. its 20014,.. it's 2020... what the fuck ever... I've gotten the same results every time.

Every damn time.

This is not the first thread I've started over my years on this message board and they always work out the same.

I'm tapping out. I'm done.

I may have been emulating everything under the sun since the 90's. N64, CDi... those are the only other two major consoles I've never emulated older than PS2... and that's neglecting the lovely Dolphin emulator which let me play a couple of GCN games.

But you've bested me C=64, you really have my balls in a VICE.

I enjoyed you briefly with the C64 mini, but that one has controller issues which I won't get into here, which has led it IT being unplayable.

Anirog Kong.... you will be missed.

I've dealt with many tech support call centers, so I can understand why you are having trouble.

If using a fresh version of Vice from the official site with default settings, you don't get the c64 basic interpreter prompt; you could very well have an incompatibility between vice/sdl and your computer graphics system.

Edited by mr_me

• 3 months later...

A couple of months late, but...

I don't think the thread starter told us what OS is being used...unless I missed it. If it is not Windows it would make sense not to see a basic prompt in Vice. When you download Vice for Linux it does not include the basic and kernel roms. You have to add them yourself.

But, If he is using Windows maybe missing runtimes is the problem. One other good (and easy to use) emulator for Windows (assuming he is running that) would be Hoxs64:

https://www.hoxs64.net/default.aspx

Download the emulator AND download and install the runtime redistributable for your OS. Typically it would be the 64-bit runtime. Install it and then unzip and run Hoxs64.

• Like 1

If you can't get it working, you can always try using another emulator on another system. There's a C64 emulator for practically every computer and game console powerful enough to emulate it; I mostly use my Wii for C64 emulation since I can hook it up to my 1702 via composite.

16 hours ago, eightbit said:

A couple of months late, but...

I don't think the thread starter told us what OS is being used...unless I missed it. If it is not Windows it would make sense not to see a basic prompt in Vice. When you download Vice for Linux it does not include the basic and kernel roms. You have to add them yourself.

But, If he is using Windows maybe missing runtimes is the problem. One other good (and easy to use) emulator for Windows (assuming he is running that) would be Hoxs64:

https://www.hoxs64.net/default.aspx

Download the emulator AND download and install the runtime redistributable for your OS. Typically it would be the 64-bit runtime. Install it and then unzip and run Hoxs64.

They mentioned ccs64, if that's not available on modern linux than they're using windows.  Linux is unlikely for other reasons.  If it was a problem with a runtime library, I don't think they would get a vice application window.

The system rom files are included in the vice source archive as well as the windows and mac archives on the official download site.  They are also included with the retropie vice package.  If files are missing after a linux install they can be copied from any of these downloads but I wonder why they're not in the linux repository. 

I have to admit, I am completely ignorant of the C64. I've never owned or used one, though I had some friends in college that owned them. All that being said, I wanted to load some old games and see what I'd missed by never owning a C64. I downloaded an archive of disk images and VICE and started. I loaded some disk images using VICE and they loaded right up and I was playing games within seconds. I didn't "do" anything. No setup, no weird settings adjustments. Nothing. I just installed VICE, double-clicked on some images, and they loaded. I fail to understand what the OP could be doing, or not doing, that could possibly make C64 emulation so hard, at least very basic emulation like I was trying to do.