IGNORED

Coco2

double-decca

Hi 

I just resuced from eBay, a Coco2 16K 26-3134A, with matching box and a CCR-82 Tape Deck. The CC-82 Tape Deck, has some battery corrosion on the upper battery terminals, which I will replace.

All seems to work okay, the computer connected to the TV , boots into Basic and the keyboard works great.

There is a warranty seal intact on the underside of the Coco2, I was going examine the intetnal CoCo2 computer board.

If removal of the warranty seal to done, does affect the value of the computer, clearly the computer is out of warranty... 

Does the Coco2 have problems with capacitor leakage on the power supply?

I had to replace my power supply capacitors on my coco2.. many machines from that era are having their caps go..

I would say , if you have a super nice coco in box with manuals etc all original  maybe dont break the sticker if you don't  have to..

Otherwise open it up and have some fun !

I did !

Remember that if you break the sticker, the Radio Shack Computer Centre can refuse to service the machine! ?

In practical terms, you will want to upgrade the RAM to 64K and probably add a more modern video output. I highly doubt that the presence or absence of the warranty sticker will impact the value. 

On 8/24/2020 at 12:38 PM, jhd said:

Remember that if you break the sticker, the Radio Shack Computer Centre can refuse to service the machine! ?

In practical terms, you will want to upgrade the RAM to 64K and probably add a more modern video output. I highly doubt that the presence or absence of the warranty sticker will impact the value. 

totally agree. I have the exact 16k CoCo 2, completely stock. You really want a 16k and composite mod. The RF modulator on the CoCo2 is even more horrible that those on other consoles and computers.

On 8/22/2020 at 3:36 AM, double-decca said:

I just resuced from eBay

Also I don't think "rescue" is the correct term to use here?

18 hours ago, bluejay said:

totally agree. I have the exact 16k CoCo 2, completely stock. You really want a 16k and composite mod. The RF modulator on the CoCo2 is even more horrible that those on other consoles and computers.

Also I don't think "rescue" is the correct term to use here?

Glad it's not just me who thinks the CoCos have garbage RF output. I can't wait until Ed Snider makes some more CoCo 2 composite boards so I can put one in mine!

18 minutes ago, Nateo said:

Glad it's not just me who thinks the CoCos have garbage RF output. I can't wait until Ed Snider makes some more CoCo 2 composite boards so I can put one in mine!

one time my coco 2's modulator drifted so far that i got a good video with the switch in "channel 3" and the tv on channel 4.

Now I'm not getting legible video at all.

Edited by bluejay
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bluejay said:

one time my coco 2's modulator drifted so far that i got a good video with the switch in "channel 3" and the tv on channel 4.

Now I'm not getting legible video at all.

Wonder what could be causing that? Failing caps maybe?

4 minutes ago, Nateo said:

Wonder what could be causing that? Failing caps maybe?

I messed with the modulator a bit today and now I get a stable video on channel 4.(using the word "stable" a bit loosely here; getting some moire patterns. But for now, I need to get it to load from cassette, because it wont!)

2 hours ago, Nateo said:

Is it just now acting up with the cassette? Could be an issue with the SALT circuitry...

It didn't work when I first got it, it fixed itself at one point, and now it quit working again.

This is exactly my problem with cocos, they're so fun, but so darn unreliable!

Edited by bluejay