Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
double-decca

Coco2

Recommended Posts

Hi 

 

I just resuced from eBay, a Coco2 16K 26-3134A, with matching box and a CCR-82 Tape Deck. The CC-82 Tape Deck, has some battery corrosion on the upper battery terminals, which I will replace.

 

All seems to work okay, the computer connected to the TV , boots into Basic and the keyboard works great.

 

There is a warranty seal intact on the underside of the Coco2, I was going examine the intetnal CoCo2 computer board.

 

If removal of the warranty seal to done, does affect the value of the computer, clearly the computer is out of warranty... 

 

Does the Coco2 have problems with capacitor leakage on the power supply?

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to replace my power supply capacitors on my coco2.. many machines from that era are having their caps go..

I would say , if you have a super nice coco in box with manuals etc all original  maybe dont break the sticker if you don't  have to..

Otherwise open it up and have some fun !

I did !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember that if you break the sticker, the Radio Shack Computer Centre can refuse to service the machine! 🤣

 

In practical terms, you will want to upgrade the RAM to 64K and probably add a more modern video output. I highly doubt that the presence or absence of the warranty sticker will impact the value. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2020 at 12:38 PM, jhd said:

Remember that if you break the sticker, the Radio Shack Computer Centre can refuse to service the machine! 🤣

 

In practical terms, you will want to upgrade the RAM to 64K and probably add a more modern video output. I highly doubt that the presence or absence of the warranty sticker will impact the value. 

totally agree. I have the exact 16k CoCo 2, completely stock. You really want a 16k and composite mod. The RF modulator on the CoCo2 is even more horrible that those on other consoles and computers.

On 8/22/2020 at 3:36 AM, double-decca said:

I just resuced from eBay

Also I don't think "rescue" is the correct term to use here😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, bluejay said:

totally agree. I have the exact 16k CoCo 2, completely stock. You really want a 16k and composite mod. The RF modulator on the CoCo2 is even more horrible that those on other consoles and computers.

Also I don't think "rescue" is the correct term to use here😆

Glad it's not just me who thinks the CoCos have garbage RF output. I can't wait until Ed Snider makes some more CoCo 2 composite boards so I can put one in mine!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Nateo said:

Glad it's not just me who thinks the CoCos have garbage RF output. I can't wait until Ed Snider makes some more CoCo 2 composite boards so I can put one in mine!

one time my coco 2's modulator drifted so far that i got a good video with the switch in "channel 3" and the tv on channel 4.

Now I'm not getting legible video at all.

Edited by bluejay
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bluejay said:

one time my coco 2's modulator drifted so far that i got a good video with the switch in "channel 3" and the tv on channel 4.

Now I'm not getting legible video at all.

Wonder what could be causing that? Failing caps maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Nateo said:

Wonder what could be causing that? Failing caps maybe?

I messed with the modulator a bit today and now I get a stable video on channel 4.(using the word "stable" a bit loosely here; getting some moire patterns. But for now, I need to get it to load from cassette, because it wont!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it just now acting up with the cassette? Could be an issue with the SALT circuitry...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its funny , the 1372 chip in the modulator can output composite and so can the video chip ( sort of ) i went straight from the vdg and played with that..  it dosen't have to be as funky as my picture lol i wascjust having fun with it :)

Screenshot_20200506-114138_Gallery.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nateo said:

Is it just now acting up with the cassette? Could be an issue with the SALT circuitry...

It didn't work when I first got it, it fixed itself at one point, and now it quit working again.

This is exactly my problem with cocos, they're so fun, but so darn unreliable!

Edited by bluejay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...