IGNORED

recommended joystick for 800XL

TomDarth5

Hello,

Following on from my previous post where I purchased a CX24 joystick which a few of you said was uncomfortable and recommended a few different types.

I was just wondering if any of you have had any experience with the Suncom slik stick?

Is it comfortable to use and responsive? And sturdy?

suncom-slik-stik-joysticks-pair-works_1_f9793f89a3ddaa18ae1296d705d5734a.jpg

I think that was the first stick I ever bought back in the day. I no longer have it, but I wish I did. It was perfect for some games, like the Pac-Man varieties, etc., but not so great with others. I also had, and still have, the Wico Command & Control with the big red ball. It was a great stick as well, but kind of tall for some games. Between the two of those, I was set.

• Like 3

I agree with bfollowell in that joysticks are very much horses for courses.  I found the Slik Stik, Tac 2, CX40 (warn in) are great for games that want delicate movements like Archon/Pac Man.  Certain games like Warhawk need an auto fire stick like the Spectravideo turbo or Quickshot Turbo 2.  There are some joysticks like the Competition Pro, which fill the middle ground.

• Like 1

Due to a few issues with thumbs (getting older is no fun), I use a Buffalo USB joypad when using Altirra and wished

I could use the same on my 800 and 130XE as it's easier to hold and use.

So I made a USB to Atari interface using an Arduino with a USB HAT, it's configured to use the Buffalo and also I

programmed it to use an old Siatek Joypad too.

• Like 2

Let me add that the Atari Flashback 2 (surprisingly) came with nice joysticks. At least in my opinion, I think they are great, except for a tight fit in the controller ports.

Also, for some games an Sega genesis 3 button controller is a nice option.

Another option I just discover few months ago is the 8bitdo bluetooth transmitter for Genesis, with a simple mod (consisting in 1 soldered piece of wire) can be made Atari compatible.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, manterola said:

Let me add that the Atari Flashback 2 (surprisingly) came with nice joysticks. At least in my opinion, I think they are great, except for a tight fit in the controller ports.

Also, for some games an Sega genesis 3 button controller is a nice option.

Another option I just discover few months ago is the 8bitdo bluetooth transmitter for Genesis, with a simple mod (consisting in 1 soldered piece of wire) can be made Atari compatible.

I have this 8bitdo controller at home and it comes with a usb cable pity I couldn't connect it somehow - would the Genesis mod work with that?

4310200-2.jpg

5 minutes ago, TomDarth5 said:

I have this 8bitdo controller at home and it comes with a usb cable pity I couldn't connect it somehow - would the Genesis mod work with that?

4310200-2.jpg

No idea , I only got the Bluetooth receiver... is that game-pad Bluetooth? or is it using some proprietary wireless protocol?

37 minutes ago, manterola said:

No idea , I only got the Bluetooth receiver... is that game-pad Bluetooth? or is it using some proprietary wireless protocol?

Hi Yes it is Bluetooth as well as far as I remember.

I was wondering can you get a USB to Atari adapter of some sort?

Yep, Wico Command Control for some games and CX40 with the Stick Stand for others, those are mainstays. For some games, a few, my Genesis 1 controller (like Space Harrier and other Sega games) and then another good, and cheap stick ($10) from Video61 is the Kraft StarMaster that works very well with certain games, not so much with others. Those 4 are all I ever use. The StarMaster has suction cups on the bottom so I can use it one handed on my desk with games that also require the us of the keyboard.

For rapid fire action, along with any of my sticks, I have a Lazer Quick Fire adjustable rapid fire joystick extension cable.

Though back in the day I had the slik stick and liked it, I also liked the Epyx 500XJ, but it was not sturdy enough for me and the inside casing that held the micro switches in place broke to easily, so I never bought another again due to what I consider crappy build quality.

20200822_144516.jpg

20200822_144837.jpg

20200822_144532.jpg

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, mikesk8 said:

I recommend this one :) feels like an arcade stick with short throw (some might not like it). Super tough with metal stick and microswitches. 

Suzo_The-Arcade.jpg

This looks like it'd be great. There's someone selling them on etsy for $30, which is fine, but they also want $30 for shipping.  :(

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jamm said:

This looks like it'd be great. There's someone selling them on etsy for $30, which is fine, but they also want $30 for shipping.  :(

Too expensive indeed I would say :( They have a good price here in NL as were manufactured here. There was a Dutch guy on Etsy selling those (different versions) tested; he has also spares, e.g. microswitches. However, shipping is just not worth. 

In general, I would not recommend spending much, as those vintage joystick are 30 years+ old and might fail at any time. Happen to me with many good joysticks. Sometimes its easy to repair though. Good option is a new Sega Genesis/Mega drive pad; those are superb.

Edited by mikesk8
  • Like 1