IGNORED

ikonsgr's DB9 controller adapter for the 5200

socrates63

Prior to assembling my Atari 5200 SuperSystem setup, I did a little homework into the infamous 5200 controller issue. Based on the what I heard on The Atari 5200 Podcast and Wired-Up Retro, I decided early on to order the DB9 controller adapter for the 5200 made by @ikonsgr (he also sells on ebay but I can't find his ebay link right now).

Atari 5200 Podcast

Wired-Up Retro

The adapter arrived a few days ago from Greece (it's times like this when I love how technology has brought us closer together to share a hobby). Today, I got a chance to use it with my Atari 7800 controller (made by Retrogameboyz) and a few games. Now I was aware that 7800 controllers would not work perfectly with this adapter and the 5200, but that's the DB9 controller I had on hand (Genesis arcade stick on the way).

I tried three 5200 games (via AtariMax cartridge). Berzerk didn't like it -- the man wouldn't move and continuously fired shots. In Moon Patrol, the joystick worked well, and the fire button too, but both 7800 buttons registered to fire the gun only -- no jump button. Pac-Man worked flawlessly.

The conclusion of my limited testing? I'm very happy as I had expected. Since nearly all 5200 games do not require analog controls, the ikonsgr adapter is a very affordable solution to enabling digital joystick/gamepad on the 5200 platform. Once the Genesis arcade stick arrives, my 5200 setup will be complete. Atari 5200 controller issues are really overblown and overstated IMO and shouldn't stopped anyone who wants to experience arcade action at home on the beautiful Atari 5200 SuperSystem.

DSC07101.JPG

• Like 3

My 5200 controller inspiration! I recently subbed your channel. You've been extremely helpful as I put together my 5200 setup.

I was trying out one of these custom 7800 controllers and it was hit or miss with the ikonsgr adapter. I wasn't expecting it to work but wanted to try it anyway.

DSC07079.thumb.JPG.ef74c3bcfd6d103210ec0c3fde07d2b7.JPG

The other day, I picked up the Genesis arcade stick, and it worked perfectly.

DSC07110.thumb.JPG.80f18b2ed3a568ae7bc2637a49e999cf.JPG

Edited by socrates63
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ave1 said:

Yeah, you'd need a 7800 to 5200 "Redemption" adapter to get those custom controllers fully compatible.

Glad you have that nice Sega joystick so you can play many of the 5200 games. Get two and enjoy some Robotron and Space Dungeon!

Why yes, I do have a second Sega arcade joystick on the way. How'd you know? :)

I don't suppose there's already someone who makes a "Redemption" adapter?

1 hour ago, doubledown said:

Challenge accepted ? :

8HoliP.png

or if you prefer a twin:

rOfk1J.png

So you are telling me those have ikonsrg adapters inside them? I'm about 99.999 percent sure they don't and you're just using this as another vessel to advertise your super pricey controllers. Those controllers you make have NOTHING to do with this adapter so I have no clue why you posted that at all.  

21 minutes ago, Shawn said:

So you are telling me those have ikonsrg adapters inside them? I'm about 99.999 percent sure they don't and you're just using this as another vessel to advertise your super pricey controllers. Those controllers you make have NOTHING to do with this adapter so I have no clue why you posted that at all.  

Your direct quote...that I was referring to (that I quoted):  "Best way to play the 5200, IMO."

Indicating that in your opinion, using an adapter, in additional to a controller, such as say a Genesis d-pad controller, or whatever DB-9 ended digital controller you're using, is the "best way to play the 5200" (your words).  I simply challenged that, by showcasing 2 separate examples, of 2 "full-featured" and "all inclusive" arcade/joystick digital controllers that I've built, that require no external adapters, were built with arcade components, and whereas the keypad and S/P/R buttons are right at your finger tips, not 3'-6' feet away from you, hanging off of some dongle.  In my opinion, this is the "best way to play the bulk of the 5200 library." And no my controllers do not use the ikonsrg adapters...but that wasn't the point.  Now had you said that your adapter was the "best way to play the 5200 with an ikonsrg adapter", I wouldn't have challenged it, as I have no reference.

5 minutes ago, doubledown said:

Your direct quote...that I was referring to (that I quoted):  "Best way to play the 5200, IMO."

Now had you said that your adapter was the "best way to play the 5200 with an ikonsrg adapter", I wouldn't have challenged it, as I have no reference.

So you twist my words around to be able to advertise your joysticks in this thread? Gotcha. :roll: Welcome to the ignore list.

Indicating that in your opinion, using an adapter, in additional to a controller, such as say a Genesis d-pad controller, or whatever DB-9 ended digital controller you're using, is the "best way to play the 5200" (your words).  I simply challenged that, by showcasing 2 separate examples, of 2 "full-featured" and "all inclusive" arcade/joystick digital controllers that I've built, that require no external adapters, were built with arcade components, and whereas the keypad and S/P/R buttons are right at your finger tips, not 3'-6' feet away from you, hanging off of some dongle.  In my opinion, this is the "best way to play the bulk of the 5200 library." And no my controllers do not use the ikonsrg adapters...but that wasn't the point.  Now had you said that your adapter was the "best way to play the 5200 with an ikonsrg adapter", I wouldn't have challenged it, as I have no reference.

Just put him on ignore like I did.  Your work is always awesome.

@socrates63 - With your Genesis arcade stick...and the adapter...do you find that all digital games are properly playable?  I know I have read that some 3rd party games can have control issues (depending on the console), like Bounty Bob Strikes Back, Gyruss, and Popeye...have you tried any of these yet?  

34 minutes ago, doubledown said:

@socrates63 - With your Genesis arcade stick...and the adapter...do you find that all digital games are properly playable?  I know I have read that some 3rd party games can have control issues (depending on the console), like Bounty Bob Strikes Back, Gyruss, and Popeye...have you tried any of these yet?  

I also have 2 sticks like that.  They work fine.

3 hours ago, doubledown said:

I played Gyruss, Berzerk, and Moon Patrol and it worked fine.

2 hours ago, socrates63 said:

I played Gyruss, Berzerk, and Moon Patrol and it worked fine.

But you haven't tried Bounty Bob Strike's Back or Popeye...I'd be curious?  I think it depends on the current status/calibration of a particular console's Pokey chip, if the problem will be present or not.  It should have nothing to do with the joystick...so long as it is working, and is a type of controller that is supposed to work with the adapter.  And usually the control (or lack of control usually) problems only occur with 3rd party games, not those published by Atari, like Berzerk or Moon Patrol were.  

But you haven't tried Bounty Bob Strike's Back or Popeye...I'd be curious?  I think it depends on the current status/calibration of a particular console's Pokey chip, if the problem will be present or not.  It should have nothing to do with the joystick...so long as it is working, and is a type of controller that is supposed to work with the adapter.  And usually the control (or lack of control usually) problems only occur with 3rd party games, not those published by Atari, like Berzerk or Moon Patrol were.  

Popeye works fine.

I don't know why but launching Bounty Bob file from AtariMax cartridge results in a black screen. AtariMax said it's loading and then just a black screen. Maybe I have a bad bin file. I tried starting the game with the 5200 controller connected directly to the console (took out the adapter) and same thing.

16 minutes ago, socrates63 said:

Popeye works fine.

I don't know why but launching Bounty Bob file from AtariMax cartridge results in a black screen. AtariMax said it's loading and then just a black screen. Maybe I have a bad bin file. I tried starting the game with the 5200 controller connected directly to the console (took out the adapter) and same thing.

You have to use the hacked version of Bounty Bob for it to work on the AtariMax cart. The hacked version is 512k.

Mitch

• 5 months later...
On 8/28/2020 at 5:02 PM, Mitch said:

You have to use the hacked version of Bounty Bob for it to work on the AtariMax cart. The hacked version is 512k.

Mitch

I tried using the 'Merged' version from AA on my AtariMax, and while it boots, it doesn't respond to right movement with my machine. Where can one find the 512K version?