IGNORED

Which EEPROM programmer to use?

amiman99

I'm new to EEPROM programming and need an advice.

I'm looking into buying a cheap programmer:

TL866II Plus

XP8710 USB Programmer

Sofi  sp8 USB Programmer

I want to program MSX roms to a real cart, I think using 27c512, 27c256 and 27c128 eeproms.

I think the TL866II will work, but the other ones are cheaper, the question is, will the xp8710 and sofi sp8 work with above eeproms?

Thanks

5 hours ago, amiman99 said:

I think the TL866II will work,

The TL866 II will definitely work, as I've used my own to program 27C64's, 27C128's and 27SF512's all within the last two months. It's got a huge library of supported chips.  Unfortunately I can't speak to any of the others. But if you just plan to program EPROMs and EEPROMs with the ZIF socket, and don't need any adapters for CPLDs and the like, you can buy a bare board for about $50 give or take.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/XGecu-TL866II-Plus-Programmer-for-SPI-Flash-NAND-EEPROM-MCU-PIC-AVR-ship-from-US/323729666027?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TL866II-Plus-USB-BIOS-Programmer-For-15000-IC-SPI-Flash-NAND-EEPROM-MCU-PIC-AVR/123987814025?

3 hours ago, amiman99 said:

One more thing, what is a replacement for 27c256 to eeprom? I don't have uv light eraser.

28f256, 28c256, 29c256 or just get a 64k eeprom chip and double your 32k binary to fill it as the 64k eeproms are super cheap and plentiful. 27c512 and 27e512 from winbond are what I would recommend.

10 hours ago, fdr4prez said:

Buy a UV LED, a resistor and use a 9v battery, and point it right in the window 

Or leave it out in the direct sun for a day or two 

That won't produce nearly enough UV flux to erase an EPROM in any reasonable period of time (I've tried it with my bench power supply set to limit current to the 20mA limit for most consumer UV LEDs).  Someone else tried it, with real math and Science!™ - it'll take about 48 hours, minimum, and you won't necessarily be 100% erased. 

https://charlesouweland.wordpress.com/2017/12/28/improvising-an-eprom-programmer/

Also - unless you're on the equator and have almost zero cloud cover, it'll probably take several days to several weeks to erase a chip in sunlight. 

Better to just buy a $25 eraser from eBay. Certainly more efficient and a better use of time for most of us.

12 hours ago, amiman99 said:

One more thing, what is a replacement for 27c256 to eeprom? I don't have uv light eraser.

Get some 27SF256 - they're super cheap, available from numerous sellers on eBay and AliExpress. Or just use 27SF512's and double-up your ROM to fill the space. 

1 hour ago, pcrock said:

I Use Willem programmer to burn any 27XX. Works great to me.

About the chips you can use 27SFXX is a great and cheap way for you!

Willem programmers are the bottom of the barrel but they do work for what they are. For only a couple bucks more you can get a TL866 as mentioned a couple times in this thread. The TL866 and any of it's variants\successors are far superior to those entry level Willem PCB only programmers. 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 8:50 PM, Shawn said:

Willem programmers are the bottom of the barrel but they do work for what they are. For only a couple bucks more you can get a TL866 as mentioned a couple times in this thread. The TL866 and any of it's variants\successors are far superior to those entry level Willem PCB only programmers. 

I do agree with you but in Brazil a TL866 costs much more than a couple bucks. It is a very expensive device.  
The Willem is the bottom of the barrel but to work with 27XX chips it works good and fast.
If wou want to program all others varieties of chips then the Willem is not good even.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got the eeproms from China, and was able to program few chips. Works like a charm.

Thanks for the tips.

What eeproms I can use for use on Atari 2600 carts? I would like to make some homebrew carts for 2600. Is it possible to desolder the ROM from a commercial cart and put eeprom in it's place?

6 hours ago, amiman99 said:

I finally got the eeproms from China, and was able to program few chips. Works like a charm.

Thanks for the tips.

What eeproms I can use for use on Atari 2600 carts? I would like to make some homebrew carts for 2600. Is it possible to desolder the ROM from a commercial cart and put eeprom in it's place?

Not without adding a hex inverter and only up to 4k. You would need to be using 2532 eproms for the easiest method, 2732 works as well but there is more work to be done. Anything over 4k will need a custom made PCB with supporting logic in the flavor of bankswitching to properly run each specific size and requirements of the program.  Also, I don't think that burner supports 2532's or 2732's but I could be wrong on that. It might not burn the most commonly used PLD's for the logic either (22v10b) but you would have to check on that. I know the TL866 didn't.

4 hours ago, Shawn said:

Not without adding a hex inverter and only up to 4k. You would need to be using 2532 eproms for the easiest method, 2732 works as well but there is more work to be done. Anything over 4k will need a custom made PCB with supporting logic in the flavor of bankswitching to properly run each specific size and requirements of the program.  Also, I don't think that burner supports 2532's or 2732's but I could be wrong on that. It might not burn the most commonly used PLD's for the logic either (22v10b) but you would have to check on that. I know the TL866 didn't.

Something like this wold work with for 2532?

https://www.8bitclassics.com/product/atari-2600-2k4k-pc-board/

Adapter for 2732: https://www.ebay.com/itm/4Pcs-2732-to-2532-EPROM-adaptor-4-Pcs/254357145910?hash=item3b38de0936:g:lasAAOSwdhdcEyNi

Is there a EEPROM equivalent for the 2532 EPROM? I don't have UV eraser, and I'm not sure if I want to buy another device just to erase the chip.

Thanks

• 3 months later...
On 8/24/2020 at 8:50 PM, Shawn said:

TL866II WILL NOT program 2732 chips and will NOT program 2716 chips commonly used for Atari 2600 (2k or 4k games). That programmer not reaches 21v (and above) vpp voltage required by this eproms.

Willem is better to do that in this case.

Willem do the job.