Jump to content
Taylor the Gaming Guy

Any ideas for SG-1000, MSX, or Sord M5 games for ColecoVision?

Recommended Posts

Just want to hear any news about new games for the ColecoVision, whether it's Pixelboy, Opcode, CollectorVision, SGM, SGM2, etc. You can comment down any type of news or type of games you want for the ColecoVision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go to Pixelboy’s website for news of games that he has in development and plans to release.

 

Go to Opcode’s Subforum here and his website for info and join his mailing list.

 

Go to CollectorVision‘s Subforum here for all the latest news and their website for additional info.

 

Most, if not all, Homebrewers will usually post info here as well.
 

Also checkout their Facebook, Twitter, etc. pages for info.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NIAD said:

Go to Pixelboy’s website for news of games that he has in development and plans to release.

 

Go to Opcode’s Subforum here and his website for info and join his mailing list.

 

Go to CollectorVision‘s Subforum here for all the latest news and their website for additional info.

 

Most, if not all, Homebrewers will usually post info here as well.
 

Also checkout their Facebook, Twitter, etc. pages for info.

 

Okay, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Taylor the Gaming Guy said:

I'm also wondering if anybody is doing Ascii's game, The Castle. Either the MSX port or SG-1000.

The Castle has been already released for Colecovision ,  i think it is by Collectorvision.

 

castle-colecovision.jpg

Edited by youki

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, youki said:

The Castle has been already released for Colecovision ,  i think it is by Collectorvision.

 

castle-colecovision.jpg

I searched it up and came to Electric Adventures. Thanks for the response. I was also able to seek Steve Begin's other things like Mr. Do's Wild Ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't someone port a downgraded Metal Gear I to the MSXI?

 

It makes me wonder if one could port the NES version to the ColecoVision. The way the sprites look definitely makes it seem possible and they aren't very far in power, just that the Famicom has tile game support built in (and it's mandatory) which works well for this style of game. It doesn't really look like it uses much in the way of graphical enhancements in the carts it looks very close to a native Famicom game outside some of the backgrounds. I think it's possible even without the SGM without much sacrafice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Leeroy ST said:

Didn't someone port a downgraded Metal Gear I to the MSXI?

 

It makes me wonder if one could port the NES version to the ColecoVision. The way the sprites look definitely makes it seem possible and they aren't very far in power, just that the Famicom has tile game support built in (and it's mandatory) which works well for this style of game. It doesn't really look like it uses much in the way of graphical enhancements in the carts it looks very close to a native Famicom game outside some of the backgrounds. I think it's possible even without the SGM without much sacrafice.

I barely even know if Metal Gear was released for the original MSX, just only MSX2. Maybe Opcode should add in the V9938 / V9958 and MSX2 codes onto the Super Game Module 2. Also if I'm not mistaking, the ColecoVision has some code with the NES / Famicom itself, maybe from this website: https://rec.games.video.classic.narkive.com/h7k24NV0/cvb-could-colecovision-games-play-on-the-master-system

Also, ColecoVision is playable on SG-1000 and Master System, just find some of the zips here: https://www.smspower.org/forums/9867-SG1000ToColecoVisionPorts

Edited by Taylor the Gaming Guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Taylor the Gaming Guy said:

I barely even know if Metal Gear was released for the original MSX, just only MSX2. Maybe Opcode should add in the V9938 / V9958 and MSX2 codes onto the Super Game Module 2. Also if I'm not mistaking, the ColecoVision has double power with the NES / Famicom itself, maybe from this website: https://rec.games.video.classic.narkive.com/h7k24NV0/cvb-could-colecovision-games-play-on-the-master-system

Also, ColecoVision is playable on SG-1000 and Master System, just find some of the zips here: https://www.smspower.org/forums/9867-SG1000ToColecoVisionPorts

 

I said I believed I heard that someone downgraded it to work on a MSXI.

 

Also the Famicom and Coleco are pretty similar in power aiming for two different game design philosophies, I don't believe any console released before 1986 is double the power of the NES.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Leeroy ST said:

 

I said I believed I heard that someone downgraded it to work on a MSXI.

 

Also the Famicom and Coleco are pretty similar in power aiming for two different game design philosophies, I don't believe any console released before 1986 is double the power of the NES.

 

 

Okay, thanks for telling me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In fact there's a "downgraded" Metal Gear for MSX1 🙂. I mean, not exactly the original script; but with the same mood you can find Prisoner of War. Superb game!

 

 

Edited by jltursan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Naturally it is a totally original game coded from scratch, nothing to do with the original Metal Gear if not the inspiration and the atmosphere 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding the Sord M5, I remember that PowerPac was ported to ColecoVision. Otherwise I'm not sure if the library contains much not already on ColecoVision. Also it is a very small scene for homebrew, and just currently people have started to look into porting more MSX1, SG-1000 and ColecoVision games to the Sord.

 

Also the reference to the Usenet discussion 15 years ago is not very useful as it clearly was written with tongue in cheek as an attempt to pull legs of unaware readers. The Famicom has a different CPU, different graphics system, different sound, different inputs even than the ColecoVision has. While there are semi-automatic tools to convert code between different architectures, a lot of hand work and complete rewrites are required to get it to run. Without having looked closer at the technical differences in how to program the 9939 (MSX2) vs the 9929 (MSX1), I think it would be a much lesser task to convert any MSX2 code to CV than convert any NES/Famicom code to CV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're in the mood to port an MSX homebrew to the ColecoVision, may I suggest Night Knight? It's a recent release similar to Miner 2049er that looks kinda fun.

 

Otherwise, I would suggest porting "Do! Run Run" (known as Super Pierrot on the MSX) which looks rather good when compared to the arcade version. Do change the title screen to match the arcade game, please.

 

There's also The Fairyland Story on MSX which may be interesting to port, given that it has many levels. Fans of Bubble Bobble may enjoy that one.

 

A port of Lunar Ball could be interesting, or maybe Konami's Boxing.

 

Just my two cents.  :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Pixelboy said:

If you're in the mood to port an MSX homebrew to the ColecoVision, may I suggest Night Knight? It's a recent release similar to Miner 2049er that looks kinda fun.

 

Otherwise, I would suggest porting "Do! Run Run" (known as Super Pierrot on the MSX) which looks rather good when compared to the arcade version. Do change the title screen to match the arcade game, please.

 

There's also The Fairyland Story on MSX which may be interesting to port, given that it has many levels. Fans of Bubble Bobble may enjoy that one.

 

A port of Lunar Ball could be interesting, or maybe Konami's Boxing.

 

Just my two cents.  :)

 

I'm really wanting to see that, speaking of Lunar Ball, it was released by Pony too. I have ideas for homebrew, how about Final Justice, Swing, and Crusader, I want to see that too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Pixelboy said:

If you're in the mood to port an MSX homebrew to the ColecoVision, may I suggest Night Knight? It's a recent release similar to Miner 2049er that looks kinda fun.

Night Knight is one I think I suggested elsewhere.  Looks to me like a really fun game and one I'd love to see on the ColecoVision.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mass Tael/Ascii games already released for the ColecoVision: Telebunny and Sasa. I have been thinking about port Poppaq the fish, but it seem like the game is a bit to simple to be fun?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CrazyBoss said:

Mass Tael/Ascii games already released for the ColecoVision: Telebunny and Sasa. I have been thinking about port Poppaq the fish, but it seem like the game is a bit to simple to be fun?

Hi there CrazyBoss, nice conversions. I think it is a good idea to put it on there, just try. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would love to see an SG-1000 PORT of hero and bomb jack. Both have great colors/sprites/gameplay and of course as with most SG games fantastic music and sounds

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Neogeoman said:

Would love to see an SG-1000 PORT of hero and bomb jack. Both have great colors/sprites/gameplay and of course as with most SG games fantastic music and sounds

Dude, I've been thinking the same thing, maybe OPG (Opcode Games), TP (Team Pixelboy), or CVG (CollectorVision) can do that, please make this happen, I've been wanting this to happen. Even Sega-Galaga, Zoom 909 or Zaxxon would be really good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...