IGNORED

Any ideas for SG-1000, MSX, or Sord M5 games for ColecoVision?

Yes, Dragon Slayer VI runs on the MSX2 and came of 5 double sided 3.5" floppy disks, theoretically 3 - 3.5 MB of data. Sure, with bank switching or loading from a flash memory that may not be an issue on the ColecoVision with some kind of expansion. Perhaps more suitable for the CollectorVision Phoenix in that case?

I see that Dragon Slayer IV however exists in a MSX1 MegaROM cartridge version. Generally if you browse for titles on Generaion MSX, you should probably limit your search to titles that run on MSX1 and possibly cartridge or sometimes tape based software. One single sided 3.5" disk is 360K, a double sided is 720K and then multiply by number of disks to get an idea of size. I'm not saying it would be impossible, but far more work than a "simple" change of I/O and memory pointers...

I forgot Dragon Slayer VI was MSX 2.  It's been a while since I've last played it.  I agree it would be a wonderful game to port for the Phoenix.

Dragon Slayer IV (Or Legacy of the Wizard on the Nes) is a regular MSX game and might be a "easier" port for the Colecovision.  :)

18 hours ago, Pixelboy said:

Why? Rock'n Bolt was released on ColecoVision by Telegames back in the 80s, and it's a very nice version too.

From what I understand the Telegames version is kind of a rare bird. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯   unless I was given the wrong intel?

Edited by Bobby Nelson

14 minutes ago, Bobby Nelson said:

From what I understand the Telegames version is kind of a rare bird. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯   unless I was given the wrong intel?

No, it's indeed rare, but if you're willing to settle for a homebrew port of the SG-1000 version, why not just try to get a repro of the ColecoVision version?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pixelboy said:

No, it's indeed rare, but if you're willing to settle for a homebrew port of the SG-1000 version, why not just try to get a repro of the ColecoVision version?

That's a fair question for sure. My answer probably doesn't reflect very many people...most likely only me (which obviously isn't anything to base a business on) but since I'm probably never going to pursue buying an SG-1000 I have been really enjoying being able to get SG-1000 conversions to play on my Colecovision. Whereas the Sg-1000 can only play that small library of games it's neat that I can get these SG-1000 games to play along with all of the Colecovision games. But like I said, that's just me. 

7 hours ago, Bobby Nelson said:

Whereas the Sg-1000 can only play that small library of games it's neat that I can get these SG-1000 games to play along with all of the Colecovision games. But like I said, that's just me. 

Well, although it's not a game I would publish (or even buy as a gamer), I think it would be neat to see this SG-1000 game ported:

Translate all the little parts of Japanese text and make other little graphical touch-ups, rework the controls to make good use of the Super Action Controllers, and this could be renamed "Super Action Golf".  :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Pixelboy said:

Well, although it's not a game I would publish (or even buy as a gamer), I think it would be neat to see this SG-1000 game ported:

Translate all the little parts of Japanese text and make other little graphical touch-ups, rework the controls to make good use of the Super Action Controllers, and this could be renamed "Super Action Golf".  :) 

OH! Brilliant Idea! I just ported this to MSX just yesterday! I'll see what I can do about it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Taylor the Gaming Guy said:

Different font, it starts off with the grey sky, and you're in the river.

hum ok,  seems just a reordering of level and may be change in color scheme.   I'm not sure it worth a port...    may be an Hack of the Colecovision version would be fun.

Edited by youki

18 minutes ago, Ikrananka said:

How about porting the MSX version of Manic Miner to the CV?  According to Retro Gamer magazine the MSX version is about the best 8-bit conversion from the Spectrum original that was done.

And then follow it up with Jet Set Willy.  :) 

• Like 1

Just now, carlsson said:

I might underestimate typical CV games but I think something like Turboat (MSX & SVI-328) could've fit the library in 1983.

My suggestion of a platformer, which has some similarities to Lode Runner but not a direct copy is Boogie Woogi Jungle.

Good ideas, good ideas. I'm actually working on Seleniak right now for the SGM.