Jump to content
Taylor the Gaming Guy

Any ideas for SG-1000, MSX, or Sord M5 games for ColecoVision?

Recommended Posts

Yes, Dragon Slayer VI runs on the MSX2 and came of 5 double sided 3.5" floppy disks, theoretically 3 - 3.5 MB of data. Sure, with bank switching or loading from a flash memory that may not be an issue on the ColecoVision with some kind of expansion. Perhaps more suitable for the CollectorVision Phoenix in that case?

 

I see that Dragon Slayer IV however exists in a MSX1 MegaROM cartridge version. Generally if you browse for titles on Generaion MSX, you should probably limit your search to titles that run on MSX1 and possibly cartridge or sometimes tape based software. One single sided 3.5" disk is 360K, a double sided is 720K and then multiply by number of disks to get an idea of size. I'm not saying it would be impossible, but far more work than a "simple" change of I/O and memory pointers...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot Dragon Slayer VI was MSX 2.  It's been a while since I've last played it.  I agree it would be a wonderful game to port for the Phoenix.

Dragon Slayer IV (Or Legacy of the Wizard on the Nes) is a regular MSX game and might be a "easier" port for the Colecovision.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Pixelboy said:

Why? Rock'n Bolt was released on ColecoVision by Telegames back in the 80s, and it's a very nice version too.

 

From what I understand the Telegames version is kind of a rare bird. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯   unless I was given the wrong intel?

Edited by Bobby Nelson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Bobby Nelson said:

From what I understand the Telegames version is kind of a rare bird. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯   unless I was given the wrong intel?

No, it's indeed rare, but if you're willing to settle for a homebrew port of the SG-1000 version, why not just try to get a repro of the ColecoVision version?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Pixelboy said:

No, it's indeed rare, but if you're willing to settle for a homebrew port of the SG-1000 version, why not just try to get a repro of the ColecoVision version?

 

That's a fair question for sure. My answer probably doesn't reflect very many people...most likely only me (which obviously isn't anything to base a business on) but since I'm probably never going to pursue buying an SG-1000 I have been really enjoying being able to get SG-1000 conversions to play on my Colecovision. Whereas the Sg-1000 can only play that small library of games it's neat that I can get these SG-1000 games to play along with all of the Colecovision games. But like I said, that's just me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bobby Nelson said:

Whereas the Sg-1000 can only play that small library of games it's neat that I can get these SG-1000 games to play along with all of the Colecovision games. But like I said, that's just me. 

Well, although it's not a game I would publish (or even buy as a gamer), I think it would be neat to see this SG-1000 game ported:

 

 

Translate all the little parts of Japanese text and make other little graphical touch-ups, rework the controls to make good use of the Super Action Controllers, and this could be renamed "Super Action Golf".  :) 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Pixelboy said:

Well, although it's not a game I would publish (or even buy as a gamer), I think it would be neat to see this SG-1000 game ported:

 

 

Translate all the little parts of Japanese text and make other little graphical touch-ups, rework the controls to make good use of the Super Action Controllers, and this could be renamed "Super Action Golf".  :) 

 

OH! Brilliant Idea! I just ported this to MSX just yesterday! I'll see what I can do about it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Taylor the Gaming Guy said:

Different font, it starts off with the grey sky, and you're in the river.

hum ok,  seems just a reordering of level and may be change in color scheme.   I'm not sure it worth a port...    may be an Hack of the Colecovision version would be fun.

 

Edited by youki

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about porting the MSX version of Manic Miner to the CV?  According to Retro Gamer magazine the MSX version is about the best 8-bit conversion from the Spectrum original that was done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ikrananka said:

How about porting the MSX version of Manic Miner to the CV?  According to Retro Gamer magazine the MSX version is about the best 8-bit conversion from the Spectrum original that was done.

And then follow it up with Jet Set Willy.  :) 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Taylor the Gaming Guy said:

How about Seleniak?

Heed my advice: Stay away from Madonna Mark II (or whatever he likes to call himself these days) and his games. I tried working with him and I got burned.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might underestimate typical CV games but I think something like Turboat (MSX & SVI-328) could've fit the library in 1983.

 

My suggestion of a platformer, which has some similarities to Lode Runner but not a direct copy is Boogie Woogi Jungle.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, carlsson said:

I might underestimate typical CV games but I think something like Turboat (MSX & SVI-328) could've fit the library in 1983.

 

My suggestion of a platformer, which has some similarities to Lode Runner but not a direct copy is Boogie Woogi Jungle.

 

Good ideas, good ideas. I'm actually working on Seleniak right now for the SGM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Pixelboy said:

Heed my advice: Stay away from Madonna Mark II (or whatever he likes to call himself these days) and his games. I tried working with him and I got burned.

 

Big OOF

I'll take your advice there.

Edited by Taylor the Gaming Guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...