Rev

The Amico constructive critisism thread

33 minutes ago, cmart604 said:

Well you released the most infamous Inty game of all so there's that...

Space Cant?

6 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Yeah you will need internet to download the physical games. So it's probably like an RFID steam key type deal. I would be surprised if there's a mixture of different types of formats. Maybe some boxes, tiny carts, cards, figurines?

I'm curious to see what they do. I always liked the Amiibos and thought they were neat. I don't like how it isn't like a traditional cart and in essence a higher priced digital game. But if there were a few cool figurines (EWJ) I could see getting some of them.

So I’m on a wait and see as well. I wonder when the physical boxes for games and console will be shown off?  After all. They should of been in production as release was just 6 weeks or so from now. 

Would you feel better if the game was on flash storage but you still had to go online for authorisation?

One advantage to their physical games is that you can resell them and transfer the license.  Not sure if you will be able to do that with the digital versions.

9 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Would you feel better if the game was on flash storage but you still had to go online for authorisation?

One advantage to their physical games is that you can resell them and transfer the license.  Not sure if you will be able to do that with the digital versions.

Call me old school I guess. I don’t stream movies or music. Still buy Dvd/blue ray, music cds, physical games, only a few exceptions I’ll download something, Amico will be one exception.  

hypothetical. What happens to Amico download codes in 10+ years when the servers or system is down. How do you resell or transfer game.

A DS/3DS or Switch game could be resold indefinite and still work with no need of a transfer. 

But as I said, this is really just my preference. I’m sure in grand scheme of things I’m in the minority on physical products these days, so it’s fine. 

Edited by Rev

17 minutes ago, Rev said:

Call me old school I guess. I don’t stream movies or music. Still buy Dvd/blue ray, music cds, physical games, only a few exceptions I’ll download something, Amico will be one exception.  

hypothetical. What happens to Amico download codes in 10+ years when the servers or system is down. How do you resell or transfer game.

A DS/3DS or Switch game could be resold indefinite and still work with no need of a transfer. 

But as I said, this is really just my preference. I’m sure in grand scheme of things I’m in the minority on physical products these days, so it’s fine. 

Flash media goes bad in 5-10 years anyway, so you'd be in the same boat. We're seeing it with some of the 90s CD games as well.

It's all about piracy.   Not sure how big a concern piracy is but they have the right to protect themselves.  If there's ever a day when Amico is no longer supported, you'll probably have creative options to access more games.

Edited by mr_me

9 minutes ago, Rev said:

That would be why I wouldn't probably buy any of the physical unless there was a cool figurine. I don't have a problem with it being digital only. And reselling has never been something I've done so transferring the license wouldn't be good for me but I could see how some would like that.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mr_me said:

It's all about piracy.   Not sure how big a concern piracy is but they have the right to protect themselves.  If there's ever a day when Amico is no longer supported, you'll probably have creative options to access the games.

I discussed this with Bill and some other folks over in the Switch forum a while ago. Basically, at some point for *many systems* Near Mint collectors will be trading NIB games that may not work and piracy is the Most likely source for ongoing play. It could, in fact, be more of a problem with 90s disks than SD media. I brought up this issue with Tommy myself a while ago on the Q&A thread (I am a big supporter of unending access to a game) and he said he "had me covered", which would be something he can't talk about yet. He's used that phrase a couple times with long-term game availability - the network goes down and your Amico dies and have to get a new one. It's quite amazing 50 year old 2nd gen game carts are still working (for the most part) 50+ years later.

Edit: There was recently a discussion with someone whose CDs (could've been Dreamcast or Sega CD) weren't working anymore due to bit rot and the solution was repros being sold on Etsy. Also, the download only aspect of Amico is not something I'm a fan of, but I face the same problem with many, many download only games I own from other systems. It is more convenient and frequently cheaper, but loses something of its permanence.

Tommy has stated that if the company dies, all the games already downloaded to the Amico will continue to play.

2 hours ago, Rev said:

This is probably not a criticism, more of my personal preference. 

Physical Amico games. 

• Haha 3

Yes, once an amico game is installed you'd never need internet access to play it.  The question is what happens when your amico dies.  If they allow you to backup your amico and restore it to another one offline; that works.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Swami said:

Flash media goes bad in 5-10 years anyway, so you'd be in the same boat. We're seeing it with some of the 90s CD games as well.

Good point. So as long as I can download the games onto Amico and not have to connect to Internet to be doing constant game updates and some kind of mandatory online connectivity to play the games in 10 years I’m fine. 

But also remember, I can pop in an Atari or Intv cart from the 70’s and nearly every time it will still work. 

But what if in 10 years, the Amico is broken. And servers are long gone, will I be SOL?

Edited by Rev

19 minutes ago, Lathe26 said:

Tommy has stated that if the company dies, all the games already downloaded to the Amico will continue to play.

Say I buy 5 Amicos. 

Can I download a game and put on each console? Or are downloads per system. Probably so. 😜

3 minutes ago, Rev said:

Good point. So as long as I can download the games onto Amico and not have to connect to Internet to be doing constant game updates and some kind of mandatory online connectivity to play the games in 10 years I’m fine. 

But also remember, I can pop in an Atari or Intv cart from the 70’s and nearly every time it will still work. 

But what if in 10 years, the Amico is broken. And servers are long gone, will I be SOL?

Keep up, Rev. haha.

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

That would be why I wouldn't probably buy any of the physical unless there was a cool figurine. I don't have a problem with it being digital only. And reselling has never been something I've done so transferring the license wouldn't be good for me but I could see how some would like that.

I would be fine if physical release had this:

-Nice RFID card, not just a piece of paper.

-Game manual.

-Ds or switch style case.

-Swag such as: Figure, patch, keychain, etc etc 

5 minutes ago, Swami said:

Keep up, Rev. haha.

Never

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Rev said:

Say I buy 5 Amicos. 

Can I download a game and put on each console? Or are downloads per system. Probably so. 😜

Slightly off topic, but I worry more about very limited run physical only games of under 100 units that may never find their way to being accessible to anyone in the distant future.

5 minutes ago, Rev said:

Say I buy 5 Amicos. 

I think I remember reading that you can play the game you bought on one console at a time. Same as if you'd bought one game cartridge BITD.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Swami said:

Slightly off topic, but I worry more about very limited run physical only games of under 100 units that may never find their way to being accessible to anyone in the distant future.

A super limited Amico physical variation?    I hope not. 

35 minutes ago, Rev said:

One of the touted features is to be able to bring your games to your friend with your controller, so I guess you could temporarily play your games on any Amico you own.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Rev said:

I would be fine if physical release had this:

-Nice RFID card, not just a piece of paper.

-Game manual.

-Ds or switch style case.

-Swag such as: Figure, patch, keychain, etc etc 

The rfid will be in the swag.

4 hours ago, Rev said:

This is probably not a criticism, more of my personal preference. 

Physical Amico games. 

Correct me if I’m wrong. From what I gather, Amico physical game releases that are planned will be a case with a download card, number, or RFID thing. And NOT an actual game card or SD card with the actual game on it. 

This type of physical release in on other systems such as the Switch. I never buy those and not sure if I’ll buy them on Amico. It’s basically just a display case. But will have to wait until it’s actually revealed, maybe I can be persuaded to the dark side. After all, I buy empty Mattel Intellivision boxes. 

Whatever form the physical media comes in,I hope it involves cool booklets,retro figurines or other doo -dads and gadgets as well as a nice game box.

A game disc or cartridge would be great too if you can put them in the Amico to use them as well.

Lots of wait and see !

46 minutes ago, Lathe26 said:

That is correct.

40 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Yes, once an amico game is installed you'd never need internet access to play it.  The question is what happens when your amico dies.  If they allow you to backup your amico and restore it to another one offline; that works.

As long as the servers are up you could buy one and probably put your account on it. It will be after 10 to 20 when servers shut down that physical media/backups will be a factor.

3 hours ago, Rev said:

Say I buy 5 Amicos. 

Oh wow,that is a great question. 

I hadn't even thought of that! 

9 minutes ago, wolfy62 said:

Oh wow,that is a great question. 

I hadn't even thought of that! 

Maybe as it was brought out above.  You can take the controller and play temporarily on a different console. Which makes sense. It would mimic you using a cartridge in a secondary console. 

• Like 4