IGNORED

Season 18 Round 2 of 15 - Yie Ar Kung-Fu

asponge

Up next by request is the old school fighting game Yie Ar Kung-Fu.  I couldn't find much in the way of a manual, but this one's pretty straight forward.  Kick and punch your opponent until you knock them out.  Then do it again.  There are five different opponents.  The game loops after the fifth and the difficulty increases.  As far as I know the game will continue to loop forever if you have the skills to keep going.  Have fun!

382457519_YieArKung-FuCartridge.png.0703c085bc7d56336cac381fcfead297.png 745678422_YieArKung-FuScreenshot.png.3b10b24f53c1013de6518215b5fc1ea8.png

Game Rules:

Version 1.4

Select Level 1

Manual

Score Post Deadline: Sunday September 6 at 11:59 PM CDT.

AtariAge High Score:

None

Scores as of 9/5:

Magmavision2000   174,900
mbd30             167,700
Razzie.P          164,800
empsolo            83,000
asponge            69,700
tman03             29,500
roadrunner         20,100
AtariSphinx        16,200
fakecortex         10,700
jblenkle            8,100

Season Standings:

Scoreboard.png.9eb229189ca773514ea3daa072cffb62.png

General HSC Season Rules:

• To participate, just post a score to the thread. Anyone can join in at any time.
  • A picture or screenshot is encouraged when posting a score but not required.
  • The season is 15 rounds long.
  • Games will be posted on Sundays and run two weeks through Sunday at 11:59 PM CST.
  • Do not exploit game glitches, take advantage of 1-up loops or intentionally die in order to replay a level.
  • If "point pressing" is not specified in the game rules you should be moving forward in an attempt to complete/loop the game and not "camping" for points.
  • No emulator save states, slow-mo, rewind, etc.
  • No cheats, e.g. Konami code, Game Genie, etc.
  • Turbo controllers are allowed.
  • Round points are awarded according to the following chart:
    1110848006_ScoreChart.png.e4e6c238b16cc1de0a8133d7d8dfa42d.png
  • Like 3

Not a great score -- made it to the final opponent after looping once -- so figure I'll get it started. 

I've never played this game in any form, and now that I've played a few rounds, I'm not entirely sure what's happening here.  Can't tell if the collision detection is simply atrocious, or if that's just part of the game design, forcing the player to accurately judge the distance/location of the hitbox and use the correct move to land hits, similar to Karate Champ.

I think I'll have some fun with this one once I've figured it out.

YAKF_001.jpg.5bcdc78d4a96a83abc6722401b4e868f.jpg

• Like 2

Not my best score, but still a great start.

This & it's arcade counterpart (which is vastly different) are my favorite fighting games from the 80s.

20200823_124107.thumb.jpg.dfe91a8e45e9ffcd8b6679c68bec1d5a.jpg

Tip(s): Sweep kicks and jump kicks are worth 300 points. If you win a match without getting hit, you'll get an additional 5000 points.

Edited by Magmavision2000
  • Like 1

I think I hit my personal kill screen for this game. The stick guy (can't remember his name) is just too fast for me, and can throw attacks quicker than me.

20200823_154540.thumb.jpg.ff83dfa68159acde9970e35518fafb2a.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mbd30 said:

Wow, this is much harder than the arcade version. The collision detection is awful. Your kicks and punches seem to connect only at random, but your opponents can sure hit you.

It's all about timing. If you jump kick from a slight distance, you'll be able to hit the opponent almost every time.

• Like 1

Important info about this game that should probably be included in the rules. Make sure you download ROM revision 1.4. I had downloaded revision 1.2, and jump kicking enemies from a certain distance stun locks them in place so that you can keep looping the game indefinitely, or at least until the ROM crashes with a "CPU Jam" error which is what happened to me after I got over 300k. I was going to post my score but then decided to check if I got a bad ROM. I'm glad I did.

Version 1.4 addresses this issue so at least the game isn't broken.

Edited by mbd30
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, mbd30 said:

Important info about this game that should probably be included in the rules. Make sure you download ROM revision 1.4. I had downloaded revision 1.2, and jump kicking enemies from a certain distance stun locks them in place so that you can keep looping the game indefinitely, or at least until the ROM crashes with a "CPU Jam" error which is what happened to me after I got over 300k. I was going to post my score but then decided to check if I got a bad ROM. I'm glad I did.

Version 1.4 addresses this issue so at least the game isn't broken.

Hey, can you post a video demonstrating the stun-lock? I need to make sure that my cartridge version doesn't do this.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Magmavision2000 said:

Hey, can you post a video demonstrating the stun-lock? I need to make sure that my cartridge version doesn't do this.

Just jump straight up and jump kick from a certain distance. If the enemy doesn't move so that you can keep repeating until he dies then it's the earlier revision.

I also don't know if this is an issue with the original cart or if it's just a bad ROM. But it could be earlier versions of the carts as well.

Edited by mbd30

I see what you mean now.

I tried it on mine, and I was able to pull it off, but I also was (kind of) able to do it on the 1.4 ROM (It worked, but you had to constantly try it over and over again, since the opponent backs away every now and then).

Either way my score is now forfeit.

I wonder if the Famicom online ROM is 1.4?

3 minutes ago, Magmavision2000 said:

I see what you mean now.

I tried it on mine, and I was able to pull it off, but I also was (kind of) able to do it on the 1.4 ROM (It worked, but you had to constantly try it over and over again, since the opponent backs away every now and then).

Either way my score is now forfeit.

I couldn't get the stun lock to work in 1.4. The best I can do is hit the first opponent several times in a row before he backs off. But it works in 1.2 every time.

It's up to asponge whether he wants to do a rules change, but I didn't feel right submitting the score that I got that way.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mbd30 said:

It's up to asponge whether he wants to do a rules change, but I didn't feel right submitting the score that I got that way.

Version 1.4 was specified under the game rules when I originally posted.  It's rare we have different versions like that, but next time I'll make sure I call more attention to it.  Sorry that you wasted time with the wrong version.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, asponge said:

Version 1.4 was specified under the game rules when I originally posted.  It's rare we have different versions like that, but next time I'll make sure I call more attention to it.  Sorry that you wasted time with the wrong version.

Really! I didn't notice. Now I feel like an idiot, lol.