IGNORED

Popeye 7800: Mini-game

darryl1970

13 minutes ago, Synthpopalooza said:

So ... still thinking:

One 16 channel plus one 8 for music, all at $Ax ... the last POKEY and the TIA can be sfx.

Is 16-bit sound more precise for the melody line too, or does it allow additional wave type/filters? I agree that TIA would be a nice option for sound effects.

16 bit gets a lot closer than standard 8-bit for the melody.   At standard tunings with $Ax 8-bit you get about a range of C5 before tuning errors.  However, @bizarrostormy has come up with a neat workaround which extends this range in 8-bit considerably,  involving sliding the whole scale up a few cents.  I'll leave him to link the thread.  :)

In $Cx distortions, 16-bit is also invaluable.  Standard 8-bit $Cx only let's you do bass frequencies, but at 16-bit the entire range can be used, and the sound has a NES pulse wave quality to it.  $2x triangle works too, though with some tuning drift on the high end.  Some of the music I did in Millie and Molly uses the $Cx distortions in 16-bit

Edited by Synthpopalooza

As for filters ... there are two such:

Hi pass, which will work from third to first channel, or fourth to 2nd.  In $ Ax distorrion, you can get sid type swirling effects, NES style variable duty cycle pulse wave, or a number of different timbres.  The higher channel's waveform masks out elements from the first.  This is useful in 16-bit mode as well, I have managed to create that swirling bass hit from Defender by setting this in double 16-bit and using all four channels.

The second is 2-tone which works only on the first two channels and not in 16-bit mode.  The second channel is a frequency carrier and the first channel adds a modulo to the frequency.  The old Atari XL computers used this for cassette I/O.  POKEYOne does not use this function sadly.

2 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

16 bit gets a lot closer than standard 8-bit for the melody.   At standard tunings with $Ax 8-bit you get about a range of C5 before tuning errors.  However, @bizarrostormy has come up with a neat workaround which extends this range in 8-bit considerably,  involving sliding the whole scale up a few cents.  I'll leave him to link the thread.  :)

The thread is here. Warning: it’s technical on the music theory side. I plan to write something for a broader audience once the tables are more mature.

Direct link to the tables here.

As Synthpopalooza mentioned, the arcade spinach music drops the bass line when the harmony comes in. If I’m hearing it right, it puts the harmony in the lower octave, a good trick to disguise that it’s only two channels. It is in C and only goes down to C3, so the C (high range) table, even in 8-bit, is ideally suited. That gives us at least a couple of options:

1. Mimic the arcade precisely, and have two POKEY channels for sound effects
  2. Show ‘em what we’ve got. Flesh out the bass line, put the harmony and melody in the same octave, and still have a channel left for sound effects and TIA for footsteps

I’ll try to cook something up.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Synthpopalooza said:

There is actually a C2 and a couple of F2 in there as well.  The C2 is right on the end.

Again, not sure how I missed those, they’re plain to hear. But I only hear one F2, right before the repeat — is there another?

No harmony for those two, so hopefully can switch to 16-bit for them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Whoah! Some huge progress has been made with Popeye, looking forward to playing all the new levels, great work @darryl1970!

- James

Have a POKEY waiting on this one. Cart now please!

Edited by sramirez2008
  • Like 3

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 10:03 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Whoah! Some huge progress has been made with Popeye, looking forward to playing all the new levels, great work @darryl1970!

- James

:-o  Holy crap!  This is shaping up to be the best and most faithful version of Popeye for any home system!  I want the boxed version in the AtariAge store yesterday!  Take my money now!  :lust:

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

EXCLUSIVE POPEYE 7800 PLAYTHROUGH

TOMORROW ON ZEROPAGE HOMEBREW!

UPDATE: SHOW WILL BE ON WED NOV 4th!

ZeroPage Homebrew will be playing the EXCLUSIVE WIP Update to Popeye 7800 on tomorrow's (Wed Nov 4) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 2AM GMT! Darryl has expanded his mini-game out to the FULL three levels of Popeye Arcade and we will be playing through the full game tomorrow with game information and background from the developer! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

423997957_20201102-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.02ff039dcb73292194c5afdbfecebae2.jpg

437591421_7800-Popeyev2.thumb.png.0a3e954a7b1ce8b270d88daca10c6ff6.png

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 5