IGNORED

.CAR or .ROM loading in 1088XEL?

Smokeless Joe

According to the Ultimate 1MB, Incognito and 1088XEL-U1MB Firmware Manual:

"From version 3.10 onwards, 8K ROM and CAR file support has been dropped and will be superseded by full cartridge emulation under SIDE3."

While I wait for the SIDE3, what are my options for loading a .CAR or .ROM file on a 1088XEL with a XEL-CF3?  

Specifically, I want to load the MAC/65 1.02 with DDT .ROM file and still have access to the CF drive.  Thanks!

43 minutes ago, Smokeless Joe said:

what are my options for loading a .CAR or .ROM file on a 1088XEL with a XEL-CF3?  

A multi-cart or an original cartridge. U1MB has never been able to emulate banked cartridges (aside from those using the native banking scheme: SDX and the loader) but on the 1088XEL you have an open cartridge port which is usable alongside the HDD. The soft-loaded 8K ROMs are no loss since you can flash such content to a BASIC slot and it'll work better than when running from RAM.

1 hour ago, Smokeless Joe said:

Specifically, I want to load the MAC/65 1.02 with DDT .ROM file and still have access to the CF drive.  Thanks!

Absent a mulit-cart (UNO, Ultimate, AVG, TheCart!, and hopefully in just a couple more weeks, SIDE3), you're going to be stuck with file versions (which I think only come with BUG/65 not DDT), original OSS carts, or something like Steve Tucker's modern reproduction carts.