IGNORED

FOUND: 486-Pentium Laptop

bluejay

Looking for a working 486-Pentium era laptop. Here are detailed descriptions on what I want.

Minimum requirements:

Working and no major missing parts that affect the functionality

Floppy OR CD-ROM drive

66mhz 486 CPU

TFT active matrix LCD

Serial, parallel, ps/2 ports.

What I want:

Working flawlessly and missing no parts

Pentium 133mhz CPU

TFT Active Matrix LCD

Serial, parallel, ps/2 ports.

Any reasonably sized internal hard drive or compact flash adapter

Floppy AND CD-ROM drive

Working battery

Sound Blaster compatible internal sound card

External PS/2 mouse

MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 95 installed

Compaq, Toshiba, or IBM

Obviously laptops that meet the "What I want" section more will take priority over those that don't. I'm willing to pay at maximum $75 shipped, but that depends on the specifications of the laptop. Thanks in advance!

P.S. I might have forgotten to write something down on the list so please list the specs of the laptop if you are willing to sell. Thanks!

FOUND

Edited by bluejay

I got a 100mhz thinkpad works fine but its a bit beat up

100mhz pentium, 48 mb ram, 1.4gb hard disk 

active matrix lcd but its got some rot going on around the edges but its not totally gone and its not seeming to be getting worse in the 3 years I have had it 

floppy and 4x cd rom, but they share a bay ESS audio drive, no battery 

its got 98 on it now but I can put 95

ill get pictures as soon as i get the baby off my lap

Edited by Osgeld

1 minute ago, wierd_w said:

It's missing the power adapter-- but there's this one on ebay right now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-Satellite-305CDS-Laptop-Retro/174347124194?hash=item2897e5fde2:g:yOIAAOSwMnJfC6Ad

One of the "Generic laptop power adapter" kits from walmart would probably work.

I don't much like passive matrix lcds...

I hear you--  Active Matrix was "new and hip" back then, so getting one of what was rare bitd is going to be tough... I will see if they have any compaq armadas... Just dont expect to do fancy high color.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Compaq-Armada-1592DMT-64mb-Ram-3-2Gb-HDD-Windows-98SE-12-1-Display-CDROM/133473673968?hash=item1f13a6a2f0:g:hYgAAOSwGGNfGzO6

Bam.  It has active matrix.

Edited by wierd_w

3 minutes ago, wierd_w said:

I hear you--  Active Matrix was "new and hip" back then, so getting one of what was rare bitd is going to be tough... I will see if they have any compaq armadas... Just dont expect to do fancy high color.

I'm not looking for anything too fancy; if I were I'd just stick with my modern laptop. I'm looking for something that'll play games as well as a hard drive for my C128 using 64hdd.

I mean I'd get a passive matrix laptop if it were cheap, but for $95 I'd look for one with an active matrix lcd.

Edited by bluejay

I used to own an armada 1530DM back in the day.  Used it until it straight up died.

It had a NeoMagic Magicgraph based video chipset, which could only do 2D accelleration. It could not do more than 16bit color, but WAS active matrix.  I expect that linked item I put the link for above probably has similar hardware inside.  As long as you are just doing old DOS games, it should be fine.  As I recall, it had an ESS audiodrive based sound chip, which could do SB emulation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wierd_w said:

I used to own an armada 1530DM back in the day.  Used it until it straight up died.

It had a NeoMagic Magicgraph based video chipset, which could only do 2D accelleration. It could not do more than 16bit color, but WAS active matrix.  I expect that linked item I put the link for above probably has similar hardware inside.  As long as you are just doing old DOS games, it should be fine.  As I recall, it had an ESS audiodrive based sound chip, which could do SB emulation.

This is pretty much the specs for the Thinkpad osgeld offered me but he broke the hard drive cable or something.