IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 13 - Game 7 - Pitfall!

22 minutes ago, Intelligentleman said:

I just learned that every screen you advance via underground tunnel is equivalent to three screens up above... ?

yeah that bit is confusing. the manual also adds to go left, which was mentioned here. and of course, draw a map...which i'm sure is *super* easy when the underground counts as 3 above ground. i think we have to implement some non-euclidean geometry to accurately draw this thing ?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, fakecortex said:

yeah that bit is confusing. the manual also adds to go left, which was mentioned here. and of course, draw a map...which i'm sure is *super* easy when the underground counts as 3 above ground. i think we have to implement some non-euclidean geometry to accurately draw this thing ?

Is it wrong that the potential to draw maps and figure out the perfect above/below route makes me want to play *more* than I did before?  ;-) 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, fakecortex said:

Okay, example after minimal "mapping"...   If you go left, the 3rd screen has a shrinking lake and a log up top and a scorpion down below, that's the first screen you'd go to if you went left underground from the beginning, skipping the two intervening screens.  The 6th screen going left has a snake, a ladder, and a wall underground on the left, that's where you'd get to on your 2nd screen if you went underground.  No funky time-space warping required.

So you can go left for the first 6 screens and face a hell of a lot of obstacles, or go underground, hop one scorpion, and come up in less time with less risk.  If memory serves, from there it's a matter of making sure you don't bypass a treasure by going underground (or circle back to it) and avoid the "dead ends" where the wall is on the wrong side underground.  Not sure how you do that without mapping, but probably can at least spot some obvious ones like the very first one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Mapped out to about 70 screens and then just ran for it... Lol. 

29k with 15 minutes left is a pretty easy starting pattern by going left and taking just 2 underground bits. Don't want to spoil it for others by posting here, but happy to PM that opening to anyone interested. 

20200824_175017.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, BiffMan said:

Mapped out to about 70 screens and then just ran for it... Lol. 

29k with 15 minutes left is a pretty easy starting pattern by going left and taking just 2 underground bits. Don't want to spoil it for others by posting here, but happy to PM that opening to anyone interested. 

20200824_175017.jpg

Activision Patch Beetches!!! ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Rickster8 said:

1st Entry - Played this one alot as a kid. ?

Nice start,

A very good game, especially seeing it as a kid...

I remember being facinated by Pitfall! the alligators and the sophisticated *platform* gameplay when I was about 5 yrs old. My oldest brother borrowed it from a friend, we just had Odyssey2 at that point.

I recall being pretty good at it, but I just couldn't jump passed those creepy alligators. ?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

I ran out of time in the game prior to this run.

But the very last treasure taunts me from above...

F82F1D89-BB8C-4A36-B3D4-568C2FA31713.jpeg

Nice. I've gotten to 91k, but then I'm out of time and like 6 treasures short.... :( If you had gotten that gold bar you would have been at 113,858 which would be very hard to beat. 

• Thanks 1

Those scorpions make my heart skip a beat when I jump each one, lol.

Love to watch those old commercials.  They're hilarious!  I love how the dudes in the first commercial just happen to have a TV and a 2600 hooked up in the jungle, lol.  Thanks fakecortex!

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Haha 1

I think I may have discovered an alternate control scheme hidden and active within the controller.

Turn it sideways with the disc on the left. Now use ENTER to run left, 6 to run right, 9 to climb up, 3 to climb down. 

You use your index fingers to hit the side buttons. It's like an early NES controller.

EDIT: this also seems to work with the 0, 8 and 9 keys if that's more comfortable. The top row isn't ideal because the CLEAR key will reset your game instead of moving left.

EDIT 2: actually the 0,8,5 config won't work. For some reason you can't press jump any run simultaneously. ENTER, 9, 6, however, allows for it. Weird.

33D1014C-BA41-4421-9605-3DCA90595EF0.jpeg

Edited by Intelligentleman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Intelligentleman said:

I think I may have discovered an alternate control scheme hidden and active within the controller.

Turn it sideways with the disc on the left. Now use ENTER to run left, 6 to run right, 9 to climb up, 3 to climb down. 

You use your index fingers to hit the side buttons. It's like an early NES controller.

EDIT: this also seems to work with the 0, 8 and 9 keys if that's more comfortable. The top row isn't ideal because the CLEAR key will reset your game instead of moving left.

33D1014C-BA41-4421-9605-3DCA90595EF0.jpeg

Hmmm, that is interesting.  Not sure if I have the dexterity to pull that off though, lol.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Hmmm, that is interesting.  Not sure if I have the dexterity to pull that off though, lol.

Lol yeah at my age it's like trying to teach an old dog new tricks. Thanks for the info, but I'm sticking with the classic way of using the InTV controller, sore thumbs and all.... ?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Intelligentleman said:

I hear you. I've been playing around with it, and it's not bad, actually, but I still like the normal way better. What's weird is why it was included at all...

Yeah that is weird.  I tried to pause the game a couple times and noticed that the keypad buttons made Harry jump.  Wonder why they chose to do that.

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Yeah that is weird.  I tried to pause the game a couple times and noticed that the keypad buttons made Harry jump.  Wonder why they chose to to that.

That's exactly how it happened to me! And yeah, I mean it's an entirely workable (perhaps not preferable) secondary control option. That concept alone is pretty novel for the time period.

Edited by Intelligentleman
  • Like 1