IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 13 - Game 7 - Pitfall!

I played Pitfall a lot in my childhood, when it came out. But my mistake at that time was that I played it like a usual Jump 'n Run game.  I never found treaures in the underground.

The maximum in this way is about 75.000, I think.

Now I know that you have to memorize the stages and shorten your way to reach 120.000. But in my age I don't have the time and stamina to do this.

Of course it's a classic, but no top game.

Avoiding the enemies is too easy, and I don't like that a video game ends like a hockey match after a period of 20 minutes.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mangia-Boy said:

I played Pitfall a lot in my childhood, when it came out. But my mistake at that time was that I played it like a usual Jump 'n Run game.  I never found treaures in the underground.

The maximum in this way is about 75.000, I think.

Now I know that you have to memorize the stages and shorten your way to reach 120.000. But in my age I don't have the time and stamina to do this.

Of course it's a classic, but no top game.

Avoiding the enemies is too easy, and I don't like that a video game ends like a hockey match after a period of 20 minutes.

I think a lot of the limitations on these games were due to the fact they had very limited ROM to work with on the cartridges. Pitfall is a pretty amazing game for what they had to work with back then. It would be awesome if it went on longer or ended a different way, but they probably didn’t have many options. So for now, we get to kill our thumbs and enjoy it 38 years later right here in the HSC!

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 3

I think I'm hitting a wall with this one. I have 58 screens left to map, and I don't know how much faster I can get through it. Jumping those damn crocs is my downfall. The timer doesn't help things either. It pushes me to go faster and I have to force myself to slow down so I don't make mistakes. Mapping has been fun tho, so my goal is to just keep having fun and take a break when it isn't anymore ?

187291897_Pitfall!2020-08-2910_44_36.thumb.png.07e67c4a384e01d6112c2b0a0421c0b0.png

• Like 7

6th Entry - Should have been a perfectly round 108k, but my head got dinged ever so slightly by a rolling log coming up the ladder. Monk is NOT happy..... ?

If I cannot get any faster through the field, then this will most likely be my last entry for this contest. 

PF(107998)S13.jpg.018af9f6afef4bcdb49f2443ad3c4837.jpg

• Like 7

Score Update: Anything missed? Chime in thanks.

Pitfall!

1. 114,000 INTELLIVISION SPARTAN +2 +1 Record tie

1. 114,000 IntyFanMatt +2 +1 Record tie

3. 107,998 Rickster8 +2

4. 77,765 BiffMan +2 Patch

5. 77,271 Ace24 +2

6. 64,316 roadrunner +2

7. 64,171 Player One +2

8. 85,895 fakecortex +2

9. 29,379 Intelligentleman +2

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, JacobZu7zu7 said:

Score Update: Anything missed? Chime in thanks.

Pitfall!

1. 114,000 INTELLIVISION SPARTAN +2 +1 Record tie

1. 114,000 IntyFanMatt +2 +1 Record tie

3. 107,998 Rickster8 +2

4. 77,765 BiffMan +2 Patch

5. 77,271 Ace24 +2

6. 64,316 roadrunner +2

7. 64,171 Player One +2

8. 85,895 fakecortex +2

9. 29,379 Intelligentleman +2

Yeah...you're screwin' with me, I know I should be a few spots higher ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7th Entry - Lol this is about as perfect as not perfect Rickster can be... You know what TFS stands for? Too Frickin Slow!!!! Lol that's me.... I actually had 10 seconds left and with no more treasure for miles I just stopped because with my dang luck I'd hit a rolling log and blow my perfect 108k score.... Lol and Monk is very happy with this score... Nice, round and even.... ?

PF(108000)S13.jpg.046340c6979fca446e002841a3f636b8.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Rickster8 said:

7th Entry - Lol this is about as perfect as not perfect Rickster can be... You know what TFS stands for? Too Frickin Slow!!!! Lol that's me.... I actually had 10 seconds left and with no more treasure for miles I just stopped because with my dang luck I'd hit a rolling log and blow my perfect 108k score.... Lol and Monk is very happy with this score... Nice, round and even.... ?

PF(108000)S13.jpg.046340c6979fca446e002841a3f636b8.jpg

Very nice! You’re right there!!! 2 more treasures I think! 

At least Mink is happy!!

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

Very nice! You’re right there!!! 2 more treasures I think! 

At least Mink is happy!!

Monk has OCD and you spelled his name wrong so he is NOT happy.... ???

Edited by Rickster8
Formatting
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, hoosierdadee78 said:

41,635. I’ve never been great at this game yet it’s still fun to play. I’ve always wanted to play the second one. Were there ever any plans for them to make Pitfall 2 for the Intellivision?

Pitfall 2 was released in 84 for Atari, after the video game crash of 83, so Intellivision was already closing it’s doors. If the crash had never happened, I’m sure it would’ve been ported over to the Inty, eventually.

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 2

Never really played the Activision games as a kid.  The screen where you have to jump on the snapping alligators to cross the water still gives me anxiety!

Didn't know there was a "perfect score" by getting 32 treasures, or that the game was a deterministic speed run.  Would like to play it more, but its hard with a keyboard in an emulator.  Might build a little Raspberry Pi arcade machine to plug into the TV to play games I don't have on cart.

Don't think I can do much better than this today.

IMG_5020.jpg

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, gar0u said:

Never really played the Activision games as a kid.  The screen where you have to jump on the snapping alligators to cross the water still gives me anxiety!

Didn't know there was a "perfect score" by getting 32 treasures, or that the game was a deterministic speed run.  Would like to play it more, but its hard with a keyboard in an emulator.  Might build a little Raspberry Pi arcade machine to plug into the TV to play games I don't have on cart.

IMG_5020.jpg

Yeah it's a pretty frustrating game. Bring on Star Strike, I'm ready for this one to end..... ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gar0u said:

I don’t play on emulation, but is there any way you can plug a controller into your emulator? Would be a lot easier since you only have to run and jump...and release from vines. 

By the way, just about all of the Activision titles are excellent games, especially Dreadnaught Factor...one of my top 5 games for the system. 

Edited by IntyFanMatt