IGNORED

Best Atari 2600 game books

Spector

I've enjoyed reading Brian Matherne's Atari 2600 homebrew books which act as a good reference guide for the notable releases of the last twenty odd years. But are there any books out there that go through the original back catalogue from the 80s, picking out the best games with reviews and screenshots? There's something to be said for reading a physical book even now :)

Edited by Spector
  • Like 3

I've also noticed that Michael D. Salzman has written a lot of paperbacks in his "Unauthorized Atari Companion" series that are very similar in style to the Brian Matherne books I was talking about earlier, and they cover individual software houses as well as arcade conversions in general:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=unauthorized+atari+companion&i=stripbooks&ref=nb_sb_noss

I think they look quite good, but judging by the sample pages, the writing is terrible! Virtually every sample page has grammatical and/or spelling errors that make it look like it was written in high school. Surely someone has told Mr Salzman about this so he can fix them? They are so amateurishly written. Such a shame because I would be interested in purchasing some of his books otherwise.

Edited by Spector
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Spector said:

I think they look quite good, but judging by the sample pages, the writing is terrible! Virtually every sample page has grammatical and/or spelling errors that make it look like it was written in high school. Surely someone has told Mr Salzman about this so he can fix them? They are so amateurishly written. Such a shame because I would be interested in purchasing some of his books otherwise.

I have a love/hate relationship with these books. I've purchased several of them and love the idea and the look of them. However, I agree that the writing isn't always the best. Issues sometimes extend beyond spelling and grammar. Sometimes his information is wrong and other times it seems as if he only played a game for a very short period of time (or read wikipedia as some lines are taken nearly verbatim) in order to write something about it. However, I do think that his skills have improved over time and the books, especially the monthly magazines, have a certain charm to them. I like the brevity of each topic and it's easy to pick up and put down (because you get to a natural stopping point) when I only have a few minutes.

Here are a couple of examples from the Unauthorized Sports Almanac...

Grand Prix - "the computer controlled cars are mostly random". FALSE: They are same every time. Memorizing the best path is the best way to a quicker time.

Home Run - It's difficult to take a guy writing a sports book seriously when he writes, "Your team is one point behind".

Overall I like the books though. As I mentioned, there's a certain charm to them and have a folksy newsletter feel. In addition, they're not very expensive. I'd recommend picking a couple up to see if you like them (which I never thought I'd say after reading the first one).

Edited by cvga
  • Like 2

As far as the Michael D. Salzman books are concerned, I started out with the zines which are mini game magazines in full color.  They are nice, but short, so I went for a few of his books.  I recommend the following:

The Unauthorized Atari 2600 Arcade Companion Volume 1

The Unauthorized Atari 2600 Arcade Companion Volume 2

The Unauthorized Atari 2600 Activision Companion Volume

These are the ones that cover the best Atari 2600 games.  They are really written to give you an intro, history, and strategic tips for each of the games.

• Thanks 1

On 8/25/2020 at 11:54 PM, cvga said:

I have a love/hate relationship with these books. I've purchased several of them and love the idea and the look of them. However, I agree that the writing isn't always the best. Issues sometimes extend beyond spelling and grammar. Sometimes his information is wrong and other times it seems as if he only played a game for a very short period of time (or read wikipedia as some lines are taken nearly verbatim) in order to write something about it. However, I do think that his skills have improved over time and the books, especially the monthly magazines, have a certain charm to them. I like the brevity of each topic and it's easy to pick up and put down (because you get to a natural stopping point) when I only have a few minutes.

Here are a couple of examples from the Unauthorized Sports Almanac...

Grand Prix - "the computer controlled cars are mostly random". FALSE: They are same every time. Memorizing the best path is the best way to a quicker time.

Home Run - It's difficult to take a guy writing a sports book seriously when he writes, "Your team is one point behind".

Overall I like the books though. As I mentioned, there's a certain charm to them and have a folksy newsletter feel. In addition, they're not very expensive. I'd recommend picking a couple up to see if you like them (which I never thought I'd say after reading the first one).

Not much to add, I have the Activision Companion-it's almost a "daily" for me, just picking it up and checking stuff out-I very much enjoy it, but the grammar is a bit amusing at times!

Hehe, on Grand Prix in particular-the cars ARE seeded the same, but your speed dictates how fast you encounter them-a player going for a very fast time will see the exact same car pattern every time, for slower drivers it will "seem" different, tho as you said, it really isn't.

I'd actually like to see that one in particular "flushed out" a little, spelling/grammar corrections, a checklist of Patch Scores, and even possibly a small extended strategy section on each game, co-written by someone very good at each particular game.

Dibs on Dragster!!!

:D

No, that's the honest, to reiterate-it leaves a bit to be desired, but I still "couldn't do without it".

*Edit*

Interestingly, there is a note in the front of the book for people to email him about errors...

:D

Edited by Rogerpoco

I was the lead on this book for Prima back in 2017, Atari Flashback: The Essential Companion: https://amzn.to/32BJ3SK

It was meant as the official companion for the Atari Flashback 8 consoles out at the time, but it covers Atari 2600 history and 67 first party Atari 2600 games in some visual detail, including how to play them.

51EksjB-DIL.jpg?w=308&ssl=1

Edited by Bill Loguidice
Added cover photo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I was the lead on this book for Prima back in 2017, Atari Flashback: The Essential Companion: https://amzn.to/32BJ3SK

It was meant as the official companion for the Atari Flashback 8 consoles out at the time, but it covers Atari 2600 history and 67 first party Atari 2600 games in some visual detail, including how to play them.

51EksjB-DIL.jpg?w=308&ssl=1

OK, I was remiss not to mention this-it's my *other*daily.

Seriously?

WOW!

It's a GREAT book, the detail is perfect, it explains game settings, etc, I have recommended Atari players pick it up, whether they were playing Flashback or not, it's really a great, valuable book!

Again, WOW!

You Rock!!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I got this book for Christmas a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it. The writing is excellent. I remember thinking that it probably would have sold better if it didn't appear to be directly tied to the Flashback 8 console (maybe it sold more because of that though - who knows). Either way, I highly recommend this book!

• Like 2

Thanks for the nice comments about the book. I'm not really sure how well it sold because I did that one for a flat fee and we had less than two months to finish it (hence all the other writers). It really couldn't have been solely a general Atari 2600 book because the whole reason it existed was to support the Atari Flashback 8, which is also one of the reasons why it only had first party Atari games in it (to get Atari's blessing). However, as you know, how it was written, it really was a general Atari 2600 book, just with a few pages talking about the Atari Flashbacks and how controls mapped to them, etc. In any case, considering all of the obstacles, I was pretty happy with how it turned out overall.

It was a bit outside the usual Prima comfort zone so I don't think they marketed it as well as they could have (not that many of the big publishers I've written books for have been great with promotion, frankly), but they were obviously interested in trying different things at the time since this was not too long before the whole book division went under and they pivoted to be just a website. 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2020 at 2:35 PM, Spector said:

I've also noticed that Michael D. Salzman has written a lot of paperbacks in his "Unauthorized Atari Companion" series that are very similar in style to the Brian Matherne books I was talking about earlier, and they cover individual software houses as well as arcade conversions in general:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=unauthorized+atari+companion&i=stripbooks&ref=nb_sb_noss

Every book encourages corrections.  Those who have submitted corrections have not only been thanked but also rewarded.

• Like 2

On 8/27/2020 at 6:13 AM, atarifan88 said:

As far as the Michael D. Salzman books are concerned, I started out with the zines which are mini game magazines in full color.  They are nice, but short, so I went for a few of his books.  I recommend the following:

The Unauthorized Atari 2600 Arcade Companion Volume 1

The Unauthorized Atari 2600 Arcade Companion Volume 2

The Unauthorized Atari 2600 Activision Companion Volume

These are the ones that cover the best Atari 2600 games.  They are really written to give you an intro, history, and strategic tips for each of the games.

Thanks!

Very well balanced criticism.  Thank you.  But why buy something so "amateurishly written" when you can get issues 20, 21, and 22 of the Throw Back 'Zine for free from now until Sunday evening?  https://www.patreon.com/posts/40952588  Enjoy and thank you for the plug! 

• Like 1

Oh and for the record, Brian's books are based on mine, not the other way around.  The content and formatting, particularly in his early books are based on mine, further I've designed all the covers for his books except for the Christmas/winter themed ones.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, salzmafia.com said:

Every book encourages corrections.  Those who have submitted corrections have not only been thanked but also rewarded.

Very well balanced criticism.  Thank you.  But why buy something so "amateurishly written" when you can get issues 20, 21, and 22 of the Throw Back 'Zine for free from now until Sunday evening?  https://www.patreon.com/posts/40952588  Enjoy and thank you for the plug! 

Oh and for the record, Brian's books are based on mine, not the other way around.  The content and formatting, particularly in his early books are based on mine, further I've designed all the covers for his books except for the Christmas/winter themed ones.

Oh no!!!  :)

Fair enough, I wrote that line about the writing being amateurish without thinking about the writer actually reading my comments! There are quite a few mistakes though. In saying that, having looked at your kindle download of issue 20 where you talk about Space Invaders, the standard is clearly higher. Maybe I was unlucky and looking at bad pages, I don't know. But thanks for giving us those downloads to begin with. 

If it's any consolation, at least understand that when I criticised your books, it was because I thought they were worth talking about. They are informative and give really useful advice on the dipswitches and skill levels of each game. It acts as a reference guide to the games as well as a review. I have already got the kindle version of your first Arcade Compilation guide, and I may now go for the other one too. The Parker Brothers one looks tasty as well. But one piece of English language advice: "it's" only has an apostrophe when it is an abbreviation of "it is". Don't use an apostrophe otherwise ie. "on its own". There! I had to say it! :) 

15 hours ago, salzmafia.com said:

Brian's books are based on mine ... further I've designed all the covers for his books except for the Christmas/winter themed ones.

The cover art on all of these books is truly excellent. You did a great job on them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spector said:

Oh no!!!  :)

Fair enough, I wrote that line about the writing being amateurish without thinking about the writer actually reading my comments! There are quite a few mistakes though. In saying that, having looked at your kindle download of issue 20 where you talk about Space Invaders, the standard is clearly higher. Maybe I was unlucky and looking at bad pages, I don't know. But thanks for giving us those downloads to begin with. 

If it's any consolation, at least understand that when I criticised your books, it was because I thought they were worth talking about. They are informative and give really useful advice on the dipswitches and skill levels of each game. It acts as a reference guide to the games as well as a review. I have already got the kindle version of your first Arcade Compilation guide, and I may now go for the other one too. The Parker Brothers one looks tasty as well. But one piece of English language advice: "it's" only has an apostrophe when it is an abbreviation of "it is". Don't use an apostrophe otherwise ie. "on its own". There! I had to say it! :) 

Thank you.  If you email me corrections that you noticed, I'll let send ya something nice ?

• Like 1