IGNORED

GOEX Questions

TGB1718

1 hour ago, uko said:

Hi,

I suppose this won't help you a lot, but only confirm the need to get manufacturer support:

I have just installed a GOEX yesterday in my STE, and it has accepted all .ST files (downloaded or generated with Hatari) that I have put directly on a blank SD card.

I have not put configuration files at all on the SD Card. 

Hope you will solve this problem !

Ha, I think I have been using mine wrong.  I always set them up with the AUTOBOOT thing, and then it only lists what is configured.  I always thought it was a trade off of the HxC because you just dump files on that too, but you have to convert to HFE first, which seems to take 3 times as much space.

• 9 months later...

Use the jog dial controller to select the disk image. If you have plugged the (optional) OLED display, then the disk image name you've selected is displayed.

I never used other alternatives such as Gotek before, but installing and using the Goex has been very straightforward for me... Sorry that you encounter problems.

Hope this helps.

I do not have any kind of menu, but the name of the selected image is displayed on the OLED display. Using the jog dial makes change the image, and the name changes on the display. Can't remember if I have to click on the jog dial then.

Maybe there are design errors, I can't tell. I'm just saying that happily it took me only few minutes to install it and make it work .

1 hour ago, IndyJones1023 said:

How do I get to some sort of menu in which to use the dial? As I said, it boots straight to the first alpha disc image. And wait until you see my video. Lots of design errors.

Have you ever used an original Gotek or HxC Floppy drive?  They're kind of terrible to try to fit into everything (especially the ST / Amiga where standard 3.5" bay holes aren't really a thing) and the GOEX fits this particular use very well.  Also if you have one in an Amiga, it comes with the headers right on it for OSD use, which is awesome!  Weird that this topic popped up today, as I'm working on finding a good 3D print for holding my 1.3" OLED display so it'll show the disks.

But to get it to work, basically you have to boot with a management program, that you then add in which disks you want mounted where.  Then you just use the jog dial to move between floppy images.  The design is fine.

4 minutes ago, IndyJones1023 said:

I'd appreciate an answer. I'm not trolling. There is a severe lack of documentation for this product. I put up my review video on FB and it's getting a lot of negativity.

If you want an answer, then post a proper, polite question, instead of a so negative statement.

For starters, there is no much design in the GOEX beyond the physical and mechanical adaptation. The software and firmware are generic for the Gotek, not specific for the Goex. The GOEX uses Flashfloppy firmware and, depending on the version, some HxC software. So if you have issues with the software, in first place check the Flashfloppy wiki and the HxC documentation.

To make the menu easier to use, you need to change the settings in FF.CFG

the defaults are not very good, try this, copy the attached to the root of you SD card.

It will stay on what you have selected, just rotate the wheel to what you want, press the wheel to select.

works the same for directories.

Just as a mention, I never got mine to work, I think it's just a faulty unit, I have a "real" hard drive which

works fine, so discounting the "bad DMA" thing.

My "Real" floppy disk drives are a bit unreliable, probably due to their age, but occasionally work for reasonable periods

so I think everything is ok with my STE, also tried on an old STM and it didn't work there either. 

FF.CFG

1 hour ago, TGB1718 said:

To make the menu easier to use, you need to change the settings in FF.CFG

the defaults are not very good, try this, copy the attached to the root of you SD card.

It will stay on what you have selected, just rotate the wheel to what you want, press the wheel to select.

works the same for directories.

Just as a mention, I never got mine to work, I think it's just a faulty unit, I have a "real" hard drive which

works fine, so discounting the "bad DMA" thing.

My "Real" floppy disk drives are a bit unreliable, probably due to their age, but occasionally work for reasonable periods

so I think everything is ok with my STE, also tried on an old STM and it didn't work there either. 

FF.CFG 9.47 kB · 1 download

Huh, I ordered 2 and pretty sure they are both running fine when I checked.  Have you tried different Flashfloppy firmwares?  I am trying to remember, but I think the cable has to be twisted as well.

Just now, leech said:

Huh, I ordered 2 and pretty sure they are both running fine when I checked.  Have you tried different Flashfloppy firmwares?  I am trying to remember, but I think the cable has to be twisted as well.

Yes, I updated Flash Floppy several time, in fact did it to the latest today.

I managed to get a copy of Procopy loaded from my B: floppy drive and used the analyse function on the

GOEX, as usual, the drive light comes on, and I hear the "step" through the tracks, but it says the drive

is unformatted, that's using known working images.

I suspect it's not reading the data as the GOEX seems to simulate drive functions, but I always get disk errors.

I'm going to make a patch board between the STE and the GOEX and scope the signals, then compare the same

signals using a floppy containing the same disk and see what I get.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I finally got my Goex working. I have the LED screen. But isn't there supposed to be a way to use the Goex without it? Some sort of display on the monitor? I have gone thru the wiki and searched online but can't seem to find any info on this.I finally got my Goex working. I have the LED screen. But isn't there supposed to be a way to use the Goex without it? Some sort of display on the monitor? I have gone thru the wiki and searched online but can't seem to find any info on this.

Mine refuses to read any of the disk images, I verified all the images before putting them on the SD card,

when I access the drive, the light comes on, I hear the simulated step noise, but all I get is read errors, I have an

STE and STM and it's the same on both.

Edit: should have said, I have the small OLD display and I can select various images, but the same result

regardless of which image I select.

Edited by TGB1718
Update

4 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

Mine refuses to read any of the disk images, I verified all the images before putting them on the SD card,

when I access the drive, the light comes on, I hear the simulated step noise, but all I get is read errors, I have an

STE and STM and it's the same on both.

Edit: should have said, I have the small OLD display and I can select various images, but the same result

regardless of which image I select.

Weird, it was literally plug and play for me (1040 STe and Mega STe).  Reversed floppy cable maybe?  Normal floppy drive still working (might be a bad controller chip?)

49 minutes ago, leech said:

Reversed floppy cable maybe?

No, double checked for correct connection (drive LED lights all the time if reversed)

50 minutes ago, leech said:

Normal floppy drive still working (might be a bad controller chip?)

I can read some floppy's but it's unreliable in both ST's that why I think the floppy drives are faulty

also my old STM (coincidentally) had a bad floppy chip bitd and was replaced under warranty and they

put a chip socket in, I have 2 1770 controller chips which are almost identical to the 1772 except they

have a slower step rate, I swapped one in and had the same result.

1 hour ago, IndyJones1023 said:

Here's my final video on my GOEX woes.

Oh, I see what your issues basically are.  You have the OLD style floppy drive with the giant disk button.  That's why it was 'too short' is due to you having an older model.  I didn't have any of those issues with my 1040STe.  I don't own any that have the giant button floppy drive.  Does the top part of your case also have the cut out for the fat button floppy?

Sadly, 3D printed stuff is pretty weak, and you just need to be careful with mounting it.  I haven't had any issues with the two GoEX drives that I own.  Was thinking I should have ordered some for my Amigas, as they are nicer than the typical Gotek ones.

Edited by leech

Things to note about the GoEX.

1) It's one model that needs to meat Amigas and STs.

2) Agreed, they really should state when you're ordering the one with the long button, that you'll likely need a longer floppy cable and power extension.

3) I actually ordered mine without the OLED screen, as I wanted a larger one, and at the time he didn't sell those.  So I bought some on the side, but still haven't designed a proper holder for them.  Would be nice if he posted the 3D print plans.

4) To get to a menu to autoboot, you'll need the autoboot.hfe for the ST in there... but a better solution (as I use these all the time on the Amiga) is to configure your FF.CFG file on the SD card so that you can just select the disk images you want, they'll show up on the little OLED screen, and you can put them in alphabetical folders, and go through them with the scroll wheel (which is a lot nicer to use than the typical knob or buttons on most Goteks).

One of the actual best features of the GoEx is how well they fit based on the 3d printed cases.  Downside, as you showed, is their a little too easy to break off.  I haven't had that particular issue (mine it's just the front flap comes off the bottom, but that's to be expected, as they're just wedged together from what I can tell.  Artifact of how you have to design things for 3d print). 

At least you got yours to work eventually, even if it were a pain.  Enjoy it!  I still should set mine up.

14 hours ago, IndyJones1023 said:

Here's my final video on my GOEX woes.

Thanks for the video, as I haven't managed to get mine to work, I never tried to mount it in the STE,

but the front panel came off mine almost as soon a started trying to use it, I thought maybe I did some thing,

but seeing your video it's obvious it just very poor build quality, like you some glue sorted out, but really

shouldn't happen.

I'm going to give it one more try with different SD cards, just in case it's some incompatibility issue, if that

fails, in the bin it goes (lesson learnt).             

6 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

Thanks for the video, as I haven't managed to get mine to work, I never tried to mount it in the STE,

but the front panel came off mine almost as soon a started trying to use it, I thought maybe I did some thing,

but seeing your video it's obvious it just very poor build quality, like you some glue sorted out, but really

shouldn't happen.

I'm going to give it one more try with different SD cards, just in case it's some incompatibility issue, if that

fails, in the bin it goes (lesson learnt).             

Ha, send it to me instead of binning it.  So the front panel is fine to come off, it just sort of wedges in the gaps there anyhow, and should hold in place when you put the top on (unless you have a Falcon or have cut a hole).