IGNORED

MAME HSC - ROUND 5/10 - MID-SEASON QUADRUPLE HEADER

To mark the half-way point in the season, this round we're going to play (4) games.  To give everyone a bit more time to work on the games, the duration of this round will be extended an additional week for a total of (3) weeks.

Following this round, we'll have the planned mid-season redemption round where players can submit improved scores on already played games.  The details will be spelled out in the thread for that round.  

Game on!

CYN 

This round's game 1 of 4:

Rush'N Attack

ROM Name: Rush 'N Attack (US)

ROM File: rushatck

Picked by: Cynicaster

DIP settings (changes from default shown in RED )

Lives: 3

Bonus: 50k 100k 100k

Difficulty: Normal

This round's game 2 of 4:

Tumble Pop

ROM Name:  Tumble Pop (World)

ROM File: tumblep

Picked by: hero2billions

Allow Continue: No

Difficulty: Normal

This round's game 3 of 4:

Star Castle

ROM Name: Star Castle (version 3)

ROM File: starcas

Picked by: S.BAZ

This round's game 4 of 4:

Eyes

ROM Name: Eyes (Digitrex Techstar)

ROM File: eyes

Picked by: MAME Offender

Bonus: 50k

Rules:

• Please change your DIPs to the settings listed.  If you're unsure how to do this, please ask
  • Screenshots required
  • No continues
  • No save states
  • No cheats
  • Any working version of MAME can be used, but the ROMs provided for this competition will be verified to work on MAME v0.139.  The "user interface" version of MAME v0.139 can be downloaded at: http://www.progettosnaps.net/mameui/

Competition ends: Sunday September 13, 11:59pm PST

Previous Round Results:

Devil World

youxia

100.0%

Razzie.P

98.1%

MAME Offender

74.5%

Cynicaster

61.6%

AtariWarlord

56.5%

Floyd Turbo

50.6%

hero2billions

36.7%

jblenkle

35.2%

roadrunner

31.9%

S.BAZ

0.0%

The Speed Rumbler

Razzie.P

100.0%

Cynicaster

35.4%

Floyd Turbo

28.1%

AtariWarlord

22.7%

youxia

19.6%

hero2billions

13.3%

roadrunner

8.5%

jblenkle

6.5%

S.BAZ

0.0%

MAME Offender

0.0%

Standings to Date:

Razzie.P

72.23%

MAME Offender

43.50%

Cynicaster

37.13%

youxia

33.87%

hero2billions

25.82%

AtariWarlord

20.80%

Floyd Turbo

16.41%

S.BAZ

11.68%

roadrunner

11.36%

jblenkle

7.45%

eyes.zip rushatck.zip tumblep.zip starcas_samples.zip starcas.zip

Edited by Cynicaster

A note about Star Castle - you'll notice there are 2 files for it attached to the first post.  

Starcas.zip is the main rom file you need to play the game, but if you use this ROM by itself, there will be no sounds while you play.  In order to get sounds, you need to download the samples file, which I've also attached.  

Download starcas_samples.zip and place it in your \mame\samples folder.  Once it's in there, rename it to also be starcas.zip.  I changed the name to starcas_samples.zip prior to uploading so that the two files can be distinguished from one another.  

• Like 1

Mixed bag, this round, but that's cool I guess. Out of this lot only Star Castle feels a bit iffy, because of the controls. Not sure why, maybe analog buttons on my DS4 do not agree with it.

A dreaded maze game is here, finally, but it's actually not so bad. You can shoot! :) So that's something at least, even though I struggle with controls as always. And I really like the sfx.

Tumble is awesome, never played before but it seems really cute, playable and addictive - bit like Rainbow Islands.

I've played Green Beret (sorry, I'm from Europe) a lot on microcomputers, without getting far of course. Some of the ports are actually pretty good. It is a classic, no doubt. I never knew it had different name in the US, and it was fun to learn it was chosen because of the Cold War shenaningans. (Rush'N Attack = Russian Attack *eyeroll*)

2 hours ago, youxia said:

Tumble is awesome, never played before but it seems really cute, playable and addictive - bit like Rainbow Islands.

Snow Bros too. I think it even has some of the same characters.

On another note, I've never played Star Castle before. Is it typical that you're not able to see the shots you fire? 

Star Castle  I'm lost

Tumblepop It's been in my favorites folder for a decade, but this will be my first time playing alone and with only 1 credit.

My fanbase is dwindling. New computer/accounts/passwords blahblah.Hope the one letter change in the name doesn't matter

Edited by Hero2millions
  • Like 1

Rush 'N Attack -- 246,060

Finally finished the first round (It just loops with increased difficulty) so figured it's a good "starter" score.

Every time I died on this run was caused by the same BS error -- I meant to turn around, and accidentally jumped.  Thinking about mapping "up" to a button to prevent that.  That sort of thing allowed?  Or we like to keep it as close to the original control scheme as possible?

RNA_004.jpg.1e9452e460fdb6573b54982122cd62fd.jpg

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 12:25 AM, Razzie.P said:

Rush 'N Attack -- 246,060

Finally finished the first round (It just loops with increased difficulty) so figured it's a good "starter" score.

Every time I died on this run was caused by the same BS error -- I meant to turn around, and accidentally jumped.  Thinking about mapping "up" to a button to prevent that.  That sort of thing allowed?  Or we like to keep it as close to the original control scheme as possible?

RNA_004.jpg.1e9452e460fdb6573b54982122cd62fd.jpg

The only rules related to controls are the ones to ensure the game selections are ones everybody has a fairly equal chance of being able to play with what they have.  

How you choose to use that controller to play the game is entirely up to you.  I'm certainly not going to cry "unfair advantage" to somebody who wants to use a button to climb ladders in Rush'N Attack.  :D

On 8/26/2020 at 12:25 AM, Razzie.P said:

I use my dedicated 4 Way joystick for this game.  Nothing more frustrating the trying to turn around and jumping.  

9 hours ago, Floyd Turbo said:

I use my dedicated 4 Way joystick for this game.  Nothing more frustrating the trying to turn around and jumping.  

Ooh... I need to look into getting one of those.  Any recommendations, or you have a custom built?

Currently, I use a XBox One controller at my main PC, and I have a Hori Fightstick connected to a emulation setup, but they both kind of frustrate a bit when 4 way controls are needed.

RushnAttack

4th board.  

I especially love it when you push up to jump and your character climbs up a ladder instead of attacking.   My favourite thing about this game...15986446532683864623615514453990.thumb.jpg.74947c35529faabefc10ec510a428ea4.jpg

0 0's

Wow, this game has the worst sound effects ever created.

15986278197904270142841538823014.jpg

Edited by M.A.M.E Offender
Added RushnAttack score.

Star Castle 4,050. In my humble opinion, I think whoever suggested the game (lookin' at you S.BAZ) should give us an idea how to play it. Not looking for tip freebies but it would be nice to know about some of the quirks that make it so hard to play (starting with my earlier question of why you can't see your own lasers).

Star Castle.png