IGNORED

Are platformers the only ColecoVision games with continuous music playing in the background?

Leeroy ST

While common and growing on computers at the time, the ColecoVision was the first major console to start the shift into music continually playing in the background of console games, influencing competitors to do the same (thunder castle INTV for example) however, of the select handful of games that have continous music playing I notice they are all platformers/platform style games (as far as I have seen). One of which (Smurf RIGC) has 3 tracks! (4 if you include completion theme iirc, been awhile). Most others may have level jingles or intros at best.

So looking at OFFICIAL releases, I wanted to ask if anyone knows of any games in other genres that also have continous music playing or is it only just the few platform style games?

Appreciate any insight on this, 

(Also is Smurf RIGC the only one with multiple tracks for a bonus?)

Edited by Leeroy ST
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, doubledown said:

Arcade ports like Venture and Gyruss have music constantly playing throughout the game-play.

I though Venture was specific areas because some rooms had zero music? Still a good suggestion.

I completely forgot about Gyruss thanks. It's pretty good too, though I'm sure my TV is messing with the quality a bit.

Are there any others?

Edited by Leeroy ST

2 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

I was thinking Mouse Trap and (the aforementioned) Venture, and Looping,...And Frenzy...And Mr. Do!  And Chuck Norris SuperKicks, and Burger Time, and Carnival...And No it's not just platformers...

Well that's why I made the thread!

Good on ya, forgot about Mr.Do, SUperkicks, and Burgertime. Never had Carnival but that's also another one with background music continously playing!

Although Looping is just a music sting in the middle of the stage and the rest doesn't have any tunes.

And I though Frenxy was more of like a "noise" for otto instead of music?

And I play Mouse Trap from time to time so I am baffled I forgot that one!.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

PS...Might be worth noting that some music is a lot better than others...But anyway, I think the ColecoVision was mostly following the path of arcade games as its main raison d'être,   and arcade games were experimenting with more music as time went on...

Well of course, different priorities for the developers.

But I don't really agree with your second point, Arcades had already started adopting music for years before the Coleco came out and it was starting to become very common. I;d say by 1983 when Coleco was pushing that a bit more arcades were already loaded with them, and then you saw the transition to laserdisc games to help with that as well.

Atari followed arcades and basically stayed mostly stagnant, 2600 games attemptiong such things were later likely developers were influenced and later tried to see what they could get out of it, and the 5200 seemed to pick up on it after the CV as they were competing.

But anyway there's more games than I originally believed of varying quality, if there's anymore let me know! 

Actually a 5200 list would be interesting to though the number would be likely smaller.

For Frenzy, they just programmed some random "music" unlike the arcade game, but I think they figure that's music.  For Looping, I consider it that the music plays for the main and important part of the game, though you're right it's not (technically) continuous...Personally I like a break from music in games sometimes, but I always thought of it as "a game with music"...

(Another thought) Not sure where you'd put Omega Race.  It has an intro, then bassline (or beat depending on your viewpoint) but then wraps up when you die...So I'd say it's more advanced than Space Invaders or Asteroids, but not constantly full like Mouse Trap.

1 hour ago, Leeroy ST said:

I though Venture was specific areas because some rooms had zero music? Still a good suggestion.

I completely forgot about Gyruss thanks. It's pretty good too, though I'm sure my TV is messing with the quality a bit.

Are there any others?

I haven't played it in a while, but it seems to me that only the wall room of the first level has no music.  Instead it has the sound of the walls sliding.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 5:00 PM, ChildOfCv said:

I haven't played it in a while, but it seems to me that only the wall room of the first level has no music.  Instead it has the sound of the walls sliding.

I tried looking at some videos there may be two rooms that are quite so yeah, you are right it seems to just be certain cases.