IGNORED

Any interest in a GIMP club?

Karl G

We have users and potential GIMP users here, since it's one way to create indexed PNG images for use with 7800basic. Unfortunately, although the GIMP is powerful, it has a bit of a learning curve. I was wondering if there would be any interest in a club to ask/answer questions, and share tips? This wouldn't be limited to just 7800basic users, of course.

I don't know if I'd be the best one to lead it, since I'm a GIMP novice myself, but I can do so if there's interest, and no one else wants to be the one to create/run the club.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, gambler172 said:

seems,that i am too stupid to use Gimp ?

I felt that way myself - I struggled making indexed PNGs for use with 7800basic. Apart from that, I think it's just a matter of getting used to the interface and how to do things with a non-trivial application. It's as powerful as Photoshop in the right hands, but it has its own workflow.

Anyway, would you be interested in such a group to share tips as well, or do you intend to continue to steer clear of it? ? 

On 9/1/2020 at 1:35 PM, gambler172 said:

seems,that i am too stupid to use Gimp ?

hoorible to use...i wish there was an easier sprite maker

I don get what issues are you having or how it could be easier indeed, just create an empty 16x16 or whatever image, draw your sprite using 3 color plus background and change the image mode to indexed 4 colors max.

Then export it as png

That's all.

Edited by vhzc
typo

1 hour ago, vhzc said:

I don get what issues are you having or how it could be easier indeed, juts create an empty 16x16 or whatever image, draw your sprite using 3 color plus background and change the image mode to indexed 4 colors max.

Then export it as png

That's all.

Now there's a useful tip already.  ;-)

In my case I was making it too complicated. I first followed a tutorial step by step that also involved associating it with a 7800 palette, but that didn't work for me. I then tried making indexed PNGs from scratch, but couldn't figure out why I wasn't able to draw any pixels on the background. That turned out to be because I needed to add colors to the colormap, which started with only the background color. It didn't occur to me that starting in RGB mode, then switching to indexed after drawing the image would work.

Also, there are other operations that don't seem to work the way I expect compared to other image-editing apps I've used. E.g. expanding the canvas size, then selecting part of the existing image and moving it onto the new part of the canvas. I figured a place to share tips among users with similar needs could be handy.

Anyway, it seems like there is probably enough interest to create it, but I first wanted to see if someone more experienced than me wanted to lead the club. If not, I can do so, since I don't suppose it matters that much if the club. owner isn't the most experienced user.

5 minutes ago, Karl G said:

Now there's a useful tip already.  ;-)

In my case I was making it too complicated. I first followed a tutorial step by step that also involved associating it with a 7800 palette, but that didn't work for me. I then tried making indexed PNGs from scratch, but couldn't figure out why I wasn't able to draw any pixels on the background. That turned out to be because I needed to add colors to the colormap, which started with only the background color. It didn't occur to me that starting in RGB mode, then switching to indexed after drawing the image would work.

Also, there are other operations that don't seem to work the way I expect compared to other image-editing apps I've used. E.g. expanding the canvas size, then selecting part of the existing image and moving it onto the new part of the canvas. I figured a place to share tips among users with similar needs could be handy.

Anyway, it seems like there is probably enough interest to create it, but I first wanted to see if someone more experienced than me wanted to lead the club. If not, I can do so, since I don't suppose it matters that much if the club. owner isn't the most experienced user.

Since the final color is determined by the palette in the code, is not necessary at all to associate it to a 7800 palette. Usually the color I use in the sprite design are not the same I finally use in the game.

But when I want to use the same in PNG and in the game sprite then I use a screenshot of the color palette from a7800 emulator and I copy the color with the color picker tool.

2050604350_Capturadepantalla_2020-09-02_17-40-11.thumb.png.0d901b385fcd58d62e9390c344b4badb.png

I have used Gimp for a long time, so If people have some doubt  I will be glad to help I what I can.

Even if my english is not so good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, vhzc said:

E.g. expanding the canvas size, then selecting part of the existing image and moving it onto the new part of the canvas. I figured a place to share tips among users with similar needs could be handy.

After you expand the canvas you should make the layer match the image size. In the menu Layer -> Layer to Image Size

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1