IGNORED

Help appreciated fixing up an ebay purchase.

Mikebloke

Hi everyone. I've tried scouring the forum for some insight in some issues with an ebay purchase I recently grabbed. 

I'll include some pictures too. 

I grabbed this one because:

1) it had a box and I wanted a box

2) my rf wire is dodgy and I don't think it was original anyway, I often used my 7800 wire but it pops out the back of the intellivision because its not intended for it. 

3) mine has a big fat 2 labelled on it with permanent marker. Not sure why! 

4) controllers looked nicer

5) possibly good for modding composite. 

It did come untested without a power wire, that's fine I have about a dozen I can use. It does boot up, and some games work perfectly fine, but most don't. 

Sometimes the colours are way off, pink instead of white, red instead of green. Take soccer for example as pictured. Moving right controller on the start screen sometimes resolves the palette or at least gets it closer. Often it just crashes to the fabled green screen of death. 

Some components have appeared to leaked. Gentle tugging of wires doesn't appear to change any result. 

I do have a multimeter available, I'm just not technical enough to know where to stick it! 

Any help appreciated to get this back into working order. 

DSC_0608.JPG

DSC_0609.JPG

Is this a PAL unit? I've not seen one without RF shielding on it and I'm not familiar with that extra board that is wired in on the upper right? Yeah you have to be in PAL land as I just noticed the extra caps and different arrangement of the power supply board and I've not seen a transformer in one that isn't fully enclosed. Interesting...and it looks way more complex as well.

Yes, I believe most if not all pal units come with this "daughter" board as described in other threads. It's a bit of a curious one, if player 1 starts the soccer game it's possible to play an entire game and not have a problem.. 

Homebrew games seem to work well other than the colour issues. Interestingly the start screen appears to work in standard pal colours but need to double check later when I fish my current system out of storage. 

Looks like a uk pal intellivision.  They are different in other pal countries and revisions.  That extra daughterboard handles the colours so the problem could be there.  Could also be the stic. The colour bars on the title screen should be white, yellow, light green, dark green, tan, red, blue, black.

You can start by checking the voltages coming out of the power supply board.

https://console5.com/wiki/Intellivision

Edited by mr_me

Good to know it's a UK one at least! I'm based in the UK too BTW, though I imagine some foreign units finds its way here time to time. 

I might try unscrewing it all, I notice the leakage has possibly gone down one of the holes on that daughter board to the main one underneath, I'll try and work out if that has gone onto anything important. 

With a bit of fiddling I have found I crash to green screen a little more often. 

The leaking green thing is a 4.433618 MHz crystal oscillator for the PAL colour signal. There's corrosion on the resistor next to it that should be fixed. Try replacing that crystal and trimming it.

Gameplay crashing issues are usually logic board issues, most commonly the RA-3-9600 RAM chip. If only player 2 is having issues, it could be the AY-3-8914 sound chip. If you have a working unit, try swapping these chips. These chips are the same as the ones in the 2609 NTSC North American Intellivision, only the STIC chip is different of the logic chips (and the replacement of the NTSC color chip with the PAL daughter board).

- James

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/27/2020 at 4:40 AM, HunterZero said:

The leaking green thing is a 4.433618 MHz crystal oscillator for the PAL colour signal. There's corrosion on the resistor next to it that should be fixed. Try replacing that crystal and trimming it.

Gameplay crashing issues are usually logic board issues, most commonly the RA-3-9600 RAM chip. If only player 2 is having issues, it could be the AY-3-8914 sound chip. If you have a working unit, try swapping these chips. These chips are the same as the ones in the 2609 NTSC North American Intellivision, only the STIC chip is different of the logic chips (and the replacement of the NTSC color chip with the PAL daughter board).

- James

Thanks for this! I will admit I haven't looked at it since, and part of me is thinking of just replacing the top case with my working one and switch the controller cases, but this will go a long way into solving the problem.

Thanks again.