IGNORED

Just got my TIPI/32K

Keneg

On 8/28/2020 at 11:30 PM, dgrissom said:

You don't use a web browser with the \\Tipi file share.  You normally use "Windows Explorer".

A possible fix:

I found that enabling "SMB 1.0/CIFS Client" allowed me access to the TIPI share. 

This is enabled by selecting it in the "Turn Windows features on or off".  If it is off, then selecting it will turn it on (see the attachment).  After clicking OK, Windows will load additional drivers.  After rebooting your machine, hopefully the \\TIPI directory will be visible.

You can see the share from Windows File Explorer under the the network section.  Of course, I mapped it to my drive "T"  ?

Note: If it is already "on" then you will have to do more research.  ?

BTW, this is the only way that I can see my usb-drive folders on the drive attached to my router.

As long as hackers don't know your system and/or network passwords you should be safe.  However, you have to be the judge if this meets your needs.  There is a good article at:   

https://securityboulevard.com/2018/12/whats-the-problem-with-smb-1-and-should-you-worry-about-smb-2-and-3/#:~:text=At the root of this,stream to send false commands.

With that said, for me, the benefits far outweigh the risks...

Advantages:  

• Much, much faster than the web interface. (I use both, but prefer working directly with the share.)
  • Easier and faster to set up your TIPI file system folders and files. "Drag and drop."
  • Easier to find your files (BASIC and EA5 executables).
  • Easy to drop properly formatted disk images directly into directories (.dsk) and have it break the files out automatically. (Kind of magical!)
  • It's the easiest way to get your TIPI printed files (PDF) for review or hard copy the printouts.
  • It also allows uses to use Notepad or Notepad++ to write/edit BASIC/extended BASIC code using "TidBit" on your pc.  When you save it to your TIPI folders, the TIPI will automatically translate it to stock BASIC.
  • TIPI folders and files can be used with Classic99 to load and save files.
  • Finally, IMO, its the most practical way to back up your files and file structure to your PC. A power outage can corrupt your TIPI/Rpi's image.  I find it difficult to extract my sd card from my Speech Synth case and do an image backups.  For me, it is easier to use the newest image to re-flash and then copy my files back to the card from my PC or my Linux machine.

Note:  I use SSH with "Putty" and "Terra term" to help manage my Rpi Zero W. However, my TI file manipulation is done through "\\Tipi".

Don't know if this will help? but it works for me with my TIPI/32K.

Annotation 2020-08-28 115827.jpg

I re-read this today.  Didn’t notice before that you did this from the file explorer.  Just tried it and it works.  Seems much faster than tipi:9900 on Edge also.

Edited by Keneg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Keneg said:

I re-read this today.  Didn’t notice before that you did this from the file explorer.  Just tried it and it works.  Seems much faster than tipi:9900 on Edge also.

After turning it on.  Did you try to disable it and see if your TIPI share disappeared?

I have to keep my SMB1.0 enabled to use my USB storage router share.

However, when I test disabled it, I noticed the TIPI stayed online.

Just wondering?

Broke down and ordered a FinalGROM99 yesterday.  I like the TIPI/32k, but just not a lot I can do without Extended BASIC  and Assembler/Disassembler.  BuyI got those off eBay would probably cost as much as the FG99.  So I am buying it.  Then I want to try out the various programming languages that will run on the TI.  I may try some of the cross compilers later, but I want to see what I can accomplish on the native hardware first.  With the FG99 and TIPI/32k I should be able to do everything I want to.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Keneg said:

Broke down and ordered a FinalGROM99 yesterday.  I like the TIPI/32k, but just not a lot I can do without Extended BASIC  and Assembler/Disassembler.  BuyI got those off eBay would probably cost as much as the FG99.  So I am buying it.  Then I want to try out the various programming languages that will run on the TI.  I may try some of the cross compilers later, but I want to see what I can accomplish on the native hardware first.  With the FG99 and TIPI/32k I should be able to do everything I want to.

A wise decision ?

2 hours ago, Keneg said:

You'll probably outgrow the 32k within a year of tinkering with the TI, wishing you could do more.

When that happens, its time to upgrade to the SAMS 1mb memory.

https://www.arcadeshopper.com/wp/store/#!/Sidecar-SAMS-with-44pin-header-for-TIPI/p/176285041/category=22255086

• 2 weeks later...