IGNORED

Just got my TIPI/32K

Keneg

Actually decided to order 2 8GB SD cards.  More likely to keep things updated that way.  If I back up all the files I see using tipi:9900 and then copy them back once I install the original image on the new SD and expand the file system, will that restore my configuration and all?

also, after I removed the TIPI from the speech case, I hooked up a mouse.  Makes it a lot easier to use Stuart’s web browser, but the pointer is very sluggish.

12 hours ago, Keneg said:

Actually decided to order 2 8GB SD cards.  More likely to keep things updated that way.  If I back up all the files I see using tipi:9900 and then copy them back once I install the original image on the new SD and expand the file system, will that restore my configuration and all?

also, after I removed the TIPI from the speech case, I hooked up a mouse.  Makes it a lot easier to use Stuart’s web browser, but the pointer is very sluggish.

Yes, once you flash a new card and expand the card, you'll be able to restore everything.  But instead of using the web interface, for a complete restore you may consider mapping your TIPI to your PC over your home network, that way you can highlight the entire contents of the SD card in one swoop and drag it to a folder on the PC and copy it back later as seen below.

1 hour ago, wierd_w said:

Using windows 10?

Microsoft implemented a security policy that is on by default that prevents you from connecting to peer level shares. You will have to disable that policy first.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4046019/guest-access-in-smb2-disabled-by-default-in-windows-10-and-windows-ser

OK I read all of that.  It seems to say that enabling this to work would make my computer less secure.  If that is true, I’m not interested in doing it.  If it can be done securely, please tell me how.  Or would just using a different browser work?

Edited by Keneg

Here's the deep dive:

Remember the WannaCry worm, that was encrypting people's file shares, then demanding ransom?  It spread through unauthenticated SMB shares that were foolishly exposed over the internet. When authentication is used, a strong crypto key session is enabled by the handshake using the kerberos protocol. (IIRC)--  With unauthenticated users, which are intended to be only done inside a well insulated local LAN that never touches the internet in any capacity, this is not necessary, and undesirable-- the whole point of an unauthenticated share is for simplicity.

The SAMBA server baked into the Pi most certainly *CAN* be set up to use authentication, but that would be more work on the TIPI maintainer's plate to have to maintain.  A guest share that is writable is very easy to configure; it just requires the unauthenticated users policy to be disabled on windows 10 to be used, otherwise windows 10 will staunchly refuse to allow a connection to be made.

This policy was implemented due to the spread of things like WannaCry.  This is one of those "I Know what I am doing, and am aware of the risk" type situations.  You can disable the policy, or you can deep-dive into the samba config file on the raspberry pi, create a samba user and password, and configure the share appropriately so that windows is happy with the connection.

Otherwise, your computer will just simply refuse the share.

Options are:

Don't use the SMB share, and use something like sftp (over ssh) to the pi. Pretend you are living in 1990, and are using an FTP client.

Turn off the security policy, and use windows explorer.

SSH into the pi, alter the samba config files and create a username and password for an authenticated user, then log in with those credentials on the network to map the share. THEN use explorer to manage the files.

Use linux, because it does not give a damn about such things, and will just connect to the SMB share without issue.

Edited by wierd_w
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, I think I will just keep using tipi:9900.  ?

I like your name.  Maybe you or someone else here can answer a couple of other questions I have.

1.  I noticed that when I run a program using “call key” in a loop.  The LED on the TIPI bLinks rapidly.  Is this because the TIPI is monitoring the keyboard to know when to respond?

2.  The normal 16k of RAM is actually video RAM and my understanding is that the video chip can only “see” 16k.  So when a 32k RAM expansion is added, do we have 48k of RAM, or does it free up the video RAM and we have 32k available for programs.  This wouldn’t necessarily be bad, because then we can use all of video RAM to store screens and sprites.  I have just been wondering about this for a while.

30 minutes ago, Keneg said:

1.  I noticed that when I run a program using “call key” in a loop.  The LED on the TIPI bLinks rapidly.  Is this because the TIPI is monitoring the keyboard to know when to respond?

I've wondered about this myself... I think what's probably happening is:

Before TI BASIC looks up a CALL in it's GROM(s), it first checks for CALLs pointed to by HEADERS, such as can exist in CARTRIDGES and DSRs. This allows TI BASIC's built-in CALLs to be replaced/upgraded and allows for new CALLs such as CALL TIPI, to be added.

So doing any CALL from TI BASIC, accesses TIPI's DSR ROM.

:ponder:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Keneg said:

Thanks for the answers.  What about my memory question?

cut and paste from the FAQ at https://www.arcadeshopper.com/wp/category/tifaq/   

What is 32k ram expansion and how do I get one? Are bigger memory cards available?

The 99/4a came with 16k VDP ram on board. This is memory shared with the Video Display Processor and Basic.  It can not be used for running assembly language or GPL programs. They run from cartridge or expansion memory.
32k ram expansion gives you additional memory for Extended basic, assembly language programs and GPL programs. It also is required for most of the utilities and fun 3rd party/homebew stuff.
Editor Assembler requires 32k ram expansion.
The 32k can not be duplicated in multiple cards/expansions so if you want to use another device that provides 32k you must remove or disable the existing 32k device.  (this is a issue with the nanopeb/cf7 device as they can not easily have their 32k disabled and so therefore can not share the buss with other 32k ram expansion easily)
more technical info on vdp ram: http://www.unige.ch/medecine/nouspikel/ti99/vdpram.htm

basically.. no basic and xb will both use the vdp ram until it is exhausted, xb will address 32k as additional storage space for stack and code if it detects it.. other ram cards that are larger work differently for the most part they are useless in basic with a few exceptions like RXB (rich's extended basic) that supports the SAMS memory cards which include 32k + up to 1mb (so far) of bankable ram .. there's other topics if you search for SAMS that discuss this.. and in the FAQ too

1 hour ago, Keneg said:

Thanks, so once I get a FinalGROM99 so I have XB, I will have 48k minus whatever is being used by the screen to work with?   

Sort of. XB switches to using 24K for the program storage, and puts only run-time variables etc in the VDP RAM. Do a SIZE command

once you get XB. It shows you the two amounts free. 

The "missing 8K" is left unused, and is available  for loading extensions, written in assembly language. 

• Like 2

Thanks, you exactly answered what I wanted to know.  I just checked the mail and a lot of books and manuals I got from eBay arrived.  Some software manuals, a couple of books with type in programs, two tapes, and a diskette.  I learned to program my VIC20 and C128 by typing in programs from magazines.  I would have to debug and sometimes modify them.  Teaches you a lot about the computer.  Not sure what I will do with the tapes and disk.  May someday buy a cheap tape deck and a cable, but a disk drive isn’t going to happen unless I run into a killer deal at a yard sale or flea market.  This finally gives me something to do with the machine since I can enter, save, and load BASIC programs.  I also have the original users guide beginners BASIC coming.  I read the users guide online, but really need it readily available at the TI.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Keneg said:

OK I read all of that.  It seems to say that enabling this to work would make my computer less secure.  If that is true, I’m not interested in doing it.  If it can be done securely, please tell me how.  Or would just using a different browser work?

You don't use a web browser with the \\Tipi file share.  You normally use "Windows Explorer".

A possible fix:

I found that enabling "SMB 1.0/CIFS Client" allowed me access to the TIPI share. 

This is enabled by selecting it in the "Turn Windows features on or off".  If it is off, then selecting it will turn it on (see the attachment).  After clicking OK, Windows will load additional drivers.  After rebooting your machine, hopefully the \\TIPI directory will be visible.

You can see the share from Windows File Explorer under the the network section.  Of course, I mapped it to my drive "T"  ?

Note: If it is already "on" then you will have to do more research.  ?

BTW, this is the only way that I can see my usb-drive folders on the drive attached to my router.

As long as hackers don't know your system and/or network passwords you should be safe.  However, you have to be the judge if this meets your needs.  There is a good article at:   

https://securityboulevard.com/2018/12/whats-the-problem-with-smb-1-and-should-you-worry-about-smb-2-and-3/#:~:text=At the root of this,stream to send false commands.

With that said, for me, the benefits far outweigh the risks...

Advantages:  

• Much, much faster than the web interface. (I use both, but prefer working directly with the share.)
  • Easier and faster to set up your TIPI file system folders and files. "Drag and drop."
  • Easier to find your files (BASIC and EA5 executables).
  • Easy to drop properly formatted disk images directly into directories (.dsk) and have it break the files out automatically. (Kind of magical!)
  • It's the easiest way to get your TIPI printed files (PDF) for review or hard copy the printouts.
  • It also allows uses to use Notepad or Notepad++ to write/edit BASIC/extended BASIC code using "TidBit" on your pc.  When you save it to your TIPI folders, the TIPI will automatically translate it to stock BASIC.
  • TIPI folders and files can be used with Classic99 to load and save files.
  • Finally, IMO, its the most practical way to back up your files and file structure to your PC. A power outage can corrupt your TIPI/Rpi's image.  I find it difficult to extract my sd card from my Speech Synth case and do an image backups.  For me, it is easier to use the newest image to re-flash and then copy my files back to the card from my PC or my Linux machine.

Note:  I use SSH with "Putty" and "Terra term" to help manage my Rpi Zero W. However, my TI file manipulation is done through "\\Tipi".

Don't know if this will help? but it works for me with my TIPI/32K.

Annotation 2020-08-28 115827.jpg

• Like 2

On 8/25/2020 at 9:33 PM, arcadeshopper said:

SAVE TIPI.FILENAME to save

OLD TIPI.FILENAME to load

Obviously replace FILENAME with your filename of choice

You likely need a disk manager

DM2K is on ftp.whtech.com/TIPI/DM2K

you can load this with call tipi("PI.http://ftp.whtech.com/TIPI/DM2K")

once it is loaded you can type in TIPI.

and get a catalog of the drive

If you are using TI BASIC or TI Extended BASIC check out a simple program I wrote that will allow you to see the files and folders on your TIPI from console BASIC.  

It's small and fairly robust.

• Like 1

Enabling SMB1.0 also re-enables many exploitable holes in your network. SMB1.0 was developed before the (commercial) internet was a thing, and is a relic of the past, from a bygone era when people on the internet mostly knew how to behave themselves.  You know, BEFORE the eternal september.

The real reason why you need to enable it for samba to work like that, is that MS changed how they do network announcing.  It used to be that the master browser would accept messages from all hosts on the network, because they would do a broadcast advertising their shares, and then name resolution would be accomplished with WINS.  However, SMB2.0 and newer uses a protocol much closer to apple's Bonjour protocol. SAMBA on Linux has not yet adopted this new announce method, but fully supports SMB2.0 and SMB3.0 core protocol.  Since the only thing you get out of enabling SMB1.0 is being able to use the hostname to find the share, the enabling of the feature is not really worth the greatly increased risk.  Just reserve an IP address for your Pi at your router, and have it be assigned a static IP address, then access the share via that IP address.

Example:

\\192.168.0.128\Tipi

Then you can live without the added security risks.

Edited by wierd_w

1 hour ago, dgrissom said:

If you are using TI BASIC or TI Extended BASIC check out a simple program I wrote that will allow you to see the files and folders on your TIPI from console BASIC.  

It's small and fairly robust.

I will download and try that soon.  Thanks.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Keneg said:

Weird_w I will try that, sounds much safer than enabling SMB 1.0.

If that doesn't work,  you might try enabling it,  map/view the drive then disabling it (all SMB1.0 setting unchecked).

Windows can be weird?  I disabled the SMB1.0 and my TIPI drive was still there. (Windows 10 Pro with 2004 updates).

I know that I have tried the IP address method in the past and it failed. (However, I am getting old and may have dreamed it.)

I still have to keep the SMB client active on on my machines access my router's file share. (Its and older ASUS router with the latest firmware.).

Dgrissom,  I tried DIRW today.  At first I thought there was a problem because both 1 and 2 showed the contents of my BASIC directory.  Then I realized that I had BASIC mapped to DSK2 and Auto was turned on.  Turned Auto off on the TIPI and it works fine.  So I switched things around so BASIC is mapped to DSK1. It now works right with AUTO set on.  Good program.  I need to examine it to learn how it works.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keneg said:

Dgrissom,  I tried DIRW today.  At first I thought there was a problem because both 1 and 2 showed the contents of my BASIC directory.  Then I realized that I had BASIC mapped to DSK2 and Auto was turned on.  Turned Auto off on the TIPI and it works fine.  So I switched things around so BASIC is mapped to DSK1. It now works right with AUTO set on.  Good program.  I need to examine it to learn how it works.

You can use a simple number as input number "1",2" or "3" or Text "DSK1.", "DSK2", etc.

Text: "TIPI" or or "TIPI.XXXXX.YYYYYY" where "XXXXX" or "YYYYYY"= your folder name(s).  Use a period to separate the folder names using TIPI.

It occasionally errors out (there is no error trapping in console BASIC) especially if it hits a true non-TIPI/TI file.  In most cases, for me, it's "PDF" files that I occasionally store in my TIPI directories. 

Note: There is a bug in the counter on Dir/File(s) on successive runs.  Also, the Used:/Free values are not completely accurate (on my nanoPEB it actually shows the diskette size and free sectors.)  I don't feel too bad as Super Extended BASIC can't properly decipher those values on TIPI directories as well.

BTW, it's based on the original BASIC "CATALOG" program that TI provided with their disk controllers.

I used a wide format with symbols to designate folders to keep more data on the TI's display.

Feel free to play with the code and fix the bugs  ?

• Like 1

Thanks.  You also answered a question I had.  I wondered if you could have subdirectories more than one level deep and, if so, how you would access them.  Very nice.  I don’t think either Commodore or Atari supported directories in there 8-bit computers.