IGNORED

What's the best/worst version of Lemmings "Pachelbel's Canon"?

bluejay

Admittedly the Lemmings "Pachelbel's Canon" only barely resembles the original version, it doesn't stop it from being a super addictive tune. I don't know; maybe it's this is too specific to be a thread but I like the music so here goes.

Anyways I've listened to pretty much every version, and I have to say, the AdLib version is my favorite. Every other version seems a bit funky to me. I dunno, maybe it's because I'm used to the AdLib version.

The least favorite is definitely the Sega Master System and Sega Game Gear version. They only barely resemble what was originally a nice tune. Sorry Sega, but I'd rather play in silence than listen to that crap.

People seem to hate the C64 version a lot but personally I don't think it's too bad. The bass line is a bit too loud but other than that I'd say it's pretty solid.

So what's your favorite/least favorite version of Pachelbel's Canon on Lemmings?

*finds a youtube video with every version all in one*

So far, I rather like the SNES version, but that's kinda cheating. the SNES's SPU is basically a digital sampler. (an 8 channel, 16bit @ 32khz digital sampler.) The win95 version is pretty similar to the SNES version.  Of the actual true bona-fide chiptune renditions, I like the Adlib and Amiga versions.

Some of the other 8bit systems' versions have the tempo all wrong, others have subdued instruments, or over the top/plinky treble.

Edited by wierd_w

HVSC lists this tune as "lemming1" by Tim Wright & Brian Johnston, without any reference to Pachelbel's Canon in D.

While I agree that the bass progression resembles it, so do a lot of popular songs including "I should be so lucky" by Kylie Minogue, "Go West" by Pet Shop Boys, "Streets of London" by Ralph McTell, "Don't Look Back in Anger" by Oasis and so on.

In our concert band, last fall we played a variation of Invierno Porteno by Astor Piazzolla. At the end it changes style, and according to both the soloist and the conductor it was inspired from Winter (L'inverno) by Vivaldi but all I could hear was Canon in D. After listening to Vivaldi, I can't really claim to see the likeliness but perhaps Piazzolla mixed the two into one.

10 hours ago, wierd_w said:

*finds a youtube video with every version all in one*

So far, I rather like the SNES version, but that's kinda cheating. the SNES's SPU is basically a digital sampler. (an 8 channel, 16bit @ 32khz digital sampler.) The win95 version is pretty similar to the SNES version.  Of the actual true bona-fide chiptune renditions, I like the Adlib and Amiga versions.

Some of the other 8bit systems' versions have the tempo all wrong, others have subdued instruments, or over the top/plinky treble.

I don't really like the snes version actually. Mainly because of the staccatos. I like the AdLib and Win 95 versions because they feel smooth. But that's not the case with the snes.