IGNORED

The problem with Cave In

Alena

42 minutes ago, tman03 said:

Hi. I am an autistic teen and I am utterly offended by Cave In supporting Autism Speaks. We do not have a problem, we have a gift, and I urge the admins to investigate into this problem

It's great that you consider it a gift. Are you of the opinion that those at the severe end of the spectrum, who require caregiving for life, are blessed with a gift?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

:? 

I see people attacking William Shatner, who supports this charity, all the time about this on Twitter. At one time Autism Speaks had finding a cure for autism as part of their mission statement, which upset a number of people who don't think a cure is needed. As of 2016 it's no longer in their mission statement.

Autism Speaks’ board of directors voted in late September to modify the organization’s mission statement, marking the first such change since the nonprofit was established in 2005.

The new iteration is shorter and strikes a markedly different tone. Gone are terms like “struggle,” “hardship” and “crisis.” Also absent is any mention of seeking a cure for the developmental disorder.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

But the motivation of the homebrew author is all positive, so IMO you should try to discuss with him first and not directly escalate this to the admins.

Looks like Cave-In was released in 2010, long before the mission statement changed.

We do not know how long Steve is supporting Autism Speaks. 

BTW: @tman03 Store reviews should be for the game and nothing else. Giving a good game a 1* review, just because you do not like where the royalties go is IMO not the right way to criticize. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

We do not know how long Steve is supporting Autism Speaks. 

BTW: @tman03 Store reviews should be for the game and nothing else. Giving a good game a 1* review, just because you do not like where the royalties go is IMO not the right way to criticize. 

I deleted the review.

..Al

• Like 8

Any parent with a child severe enough that the child will never gain verbal communication and never be self-sufficient, may not view the situation as a blessing, as you do. I do not say this to be provocative, but with the hope to add a bit of nuance to the discussion.

Nobody here is rallying to stamp out the scourge of Aspergers, and the reality is the charity has long since dropped the "cure" angle. My understanding is they do provide financial support to families with children on the severe side the spectrum, and they're doing so now, not in some impending future where we've figured out how to integrate people with these most severe cases into society.

I have no horse in this race. I just think it's worthwhile for people of differing opinions to try and take each other's perspectives into account. I'm a bit old fashioned that way.

• Like 6

I know there are many people who consider Autism Speaks to be a hate group. They may have gotten better since I last researched them, but I would personally choose to steer clear of them. I definitely would not assume ill intent from anyone who supports them, however. I agree that a public call out like this is not the way to handle it, either.

Here is an article from 2013 that talks about some of the issues with the group for those who are interested in learning more:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/emilywillingham/2013/11/13/why-autism-speaks-doesnt-speak-for-me/

• Like 3

As an autistic man I am not a fan of Autism Speaks. I have several reasons for my distastes, so I'll try to keep things brief.

• Historically they have not have many autistic people on its board of directors. As of now, only 1 out of 28 board members are autistic.
  • Very little of their money actually goes towards helping families- only 1%. By contrast, nearly half of their budget is spent on "raising awareness".

I get that the author's support comes from a good place, but I think he should consider donating to a different charity.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bluswimmer said:
  •  By contrast, nearly half of their budget is spent on "raising awareness".

How is raising awareness something bad? Isn't it something good if "normal" people are informed and understand autism? Or do they spread wrong information?

We are talking (because tman03 was brutally assaulted and "damaged" by this charity) about a very wide range of biological issues. Positive attributes combined with negative, minor to needing constant care.  The person who choose to make a deal out of this seems to feel very strongly about his situation, but he does not speak for all.  There are people suffering out there who would prefer a cure.

8 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

How is raising awareness something bad? Isn't it something good if "normal" people are informed and understand autism? Or do they spread wrong information?

“Raising awareness” is 501(c)(4) is lawyer speak that allows you to spend non-profit social-welfare funds to promote the non-profit itself. There are many non-profit “charitable” organizations whose sole purpose is to raise awareness of their organization, just to stay in business. These charities regularly spend large percentages of their yearly operating expenses (70%-85%) on keeping their charity alive rather than going to whatever their cause is.

12 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Most critics will direct you towards "Autism Every Day", an Autism Speaks-sponsored 2006 documentary which features a bunch of disgruntled parents of autistic children. Of note, one mother admits to contemplating a murder-suicide involving her autistic daughter.

Another infamous video which they produced was "I Am Autism", which was released in 2009. This video personifies autism as a villainous voice. The narration resembles that of the 1954 short film "Taming the Crippler", which was about polio.

I concede that both of these examples are pretty old, but today they continue to portray autism in this sort of way, albeit in less public forms. Starting last year, the organization has started to use Sesame Street to promote its "100 Day Kit," which appears to suggest that a diagnosis of autism may provoke feelings similar to a death in the family.

• Like 1