IGNORED

What were some of your favorite video game tunes for games released before 1985?

Leeroy ST

44 minutes ago, electricmastro said:

Namco definitely had some of the best arcade music back in the day:

Except for Xevious... the "music" that plays during gameplay is such a short loop that I would have rather had no music during the game. On reason why I want the PC Engine port of the game... it is expanded and has actual music during gameplay.

This annoying POS:

compare that to this... not that this is amazing music but it's so much better than a 3 second loop

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

15 minutes ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Except for Xevious... the "music" that plays during gameplay is such a short loop that I would have rather had no music during the game. On reason why I want the PC Engine port of the game... it is expanded and has actual music during gameplay.

This annoying POS:

compare that to this... not that this is amazing music but it's so much better than a 3 second loop

Yeah, even when being notable one of the earliest games composed by a female composer, I still wish Yuriko Keino would have expanded on the music more.

On 8/26/2020 at 7:30 PM, mr_me said:

Intellivision League of Light (1983)

Wait, are you saying this demo scene thing is actually from 1983? That’s astonishing.

Some amazing music in this thread. Here are some more favorites of mine:

Pooyan! (1982)

This music always makes me happy.

Time Pilot (1982)

It is only a short snippet but it always makes my day.

Is Asteroids (1979) the first video game to have real music? Even if it is just a ripoff of the Jaws theme it is still amazingly effective:

(Check out Rebooteroids for Jaguar for an amazing musical reworking of the classic theme)

I guess it was really Space Invaders (1978) and its barely-a-tune that has been remixed to great effect in modern versions:

Nintendo’s Radar Scope (1980), basically Juno First without the movement, is pretty catchy in the same two-note vein:

Tron (1982) has one full track and a few small samples from Wendy Carlos’s superb score for the film, and it will live in my head forever:

As somebody with a soft spot for FM cheese, Journey (1983) has always been a favorite of mine. I’d love to see THIS game released on Arcade Archives!

I am not an Atari home computer expert but Tail of Beta Lyrae (1983) recently played by the HSC caught my ear:

Exodus: Ultima III (1983) is another home computer masterwork:

Bonus: as a 1985 game it might be after the cutoff but you have to hear the amazing SG-1000 music for Zaxxon:

Gyruss cameout in '83 so guess I'll go with that! Sounds ahead of it's time. Also love that catchy little tune that plays whenever you beat the level in Congo Bongo for Atari 5200 ? The Burgertime theme is also epic,and the theme of Mr.Do's Castle...

Edited by lushgirl_80
  • Like 4

Also thought about the opening for ET and how great it is..

Fitting for HSW's masterpiece! :rolling::love: The song also in the first cutscene of Ms.Pac-Man. I turn that up  on my Arcade1UP to full volume! Also the theme song of Disco No.1.

• Like 2

Lots of great titles already mentioned.  I must also give music props to...

Wizard of Wor

Food Fight, especially the "Instant Replay" theme:

Crystal Castles...

...whose music was recreated surprisingly well on the Atari 2600:

And finally, something I still hum now and then, Elevator Action:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...