IGNORED

(European) TI-99/4 or TI-99/4A with 6-DIN via GBS8200 to VGA

globeron

The European consoles have a 6-pin DIN plug for video/audio and normally connects to a PAL modulator box and antenna cable to a TV (I only have 2 of these and output is okay, but not that sharp). Also I have a SCART version, but in Asia it is very hard to find a monitor/TV with it as it is more for the European market, but there are TVs with Component input.

The European TI-99/4 and TI-99/4A Video/audio connections are Component output (Yp / Pb / Pr) and with a self-made cable it works on the TV (I have 3x European consoles here).

For another (Geneve 9640) project I had a spare GBS8200 board (these are quite cheap around USD 20) and has Component input as well. 

You need to use the yellow button panel 'SW' button to select Component input and now you can output to VGA as well. It gives a reasonable sharp output. For the sound you can use a converter from tulip (cinch/ component connector) to 3.5mm audio and connect to a speaker with Aux input (or to the TV/monitor if it is supported).

(Maybe not that good as the F18A, but now you output to VGA and still use the original video chip 9918 (/4) or 9928 (/4A).

20200828_201031.jpg

20200828_200909.jpg

20200828_200902.jpg

20200828_200616.jpg

20200828_200608.jpg

20200828_203707.jpg

Edited by globeron
  • Like 3

Main problem that I found with my european TI-99/4A is that component output is not standard and therefore the colours are not correctly shown in the TV/monitor. I tried several TRC/LCD monitors and the problem is the same. I also installed an RGB mod but I only got a black&white image.

The only solution for me was to modify the PHA-2036 to have composite video. Isn't the best image quality but at least I can see the colours correctly on TRC and LCDs monitors.

15 hours ago, Papalapa said:

Main problem that I found with my european TI-99/4A is that component output is not standard and therefore the colours are not correctly shown in the TV/monitor. I tried several TRC/LCD monitors and the problem is the same. I also installed an RGB mod but I only got a black&white image.

The only solution for me was to modify the PHA-2036 to have composite video. Isn't the best image quality but at least I can see the colours correctly on TRC and LCDs monitors.

I have the same issue that colours are not correctly displayed. Maybe with the GBS8200 there are pots to change colours, i have not tried it, or with the Genie device program the chip directly to do adjustments.

I have also done this before and works

http://www.ti99.com/ti/index.php?article151/signal-composite-sur-l-interface-pal-pha2036

But I was trying to find an alternative to the modulator.

If you have the PHA2037 SCART it is sharp

It looks humeur and ciro are selling these:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://atariage.com/forums/topic/295278-interface-pha2037-mini-project-pal-rgb-scart-for-eu-6-pin-ti-994a/&ved=2ahUKEwjKt4vE2MHrAhW0oekKHSdOBGwQjjgwAHoECA8QAQ&usg=AOvVaw0hCbIwyDrQ5pc4kf0FLoEC

• Like 2