IGNORED

New Atari800MacX version 5.3.0

pedgarcia

@tsom, I replied on the github issue, but it looks like it is the "D: patch" that is causing the issue with floppies.  It looks like the patch is not working with the new atari800 core, or I made a mistake merging it.  I will need to take a look at it.

On the CapsLock behavior you are seeing, is this new?  None of that code has changed recently.

1 hour ago, atarimac said:

@tsom, I replied on the github issue, but it looks like it is the "D: patch" that is causing the issue with floppies.  It looks like the patch is not working with the new atari800 core, or I made a mistake merging it.  I will need to take a look at it.

On the CapsLock behavior you are seeing, is this new?  None of that code has changed recently.

I don’t recall changing no the setting for the D patch, but it’s possible. I’ll not touch it anymore :)

As far as caps lock, I’ve always had issues typing lowercase.

thanks!

Edited by tsom

14 hours ago, atarimac said:

For myself, I previously had just been playing games, so if it was there, I wouldn't have noticed.

It was when I started using it to compile/edit code this past weekend (AMAC+MEDIT) that I noticed.

@tsom and @bhall408, one issue is that the SDL library only returns a keydown CAPSLOCK key event every other key press (it returns a KEYUP for the other one).  There was a hack in the 4.x versions that worked with the old SDL 1.x library, but when I moved to SDL 2.x it no longer works.

I have a fix for that issue, but there is still something wonky about it when in 800XL emulation.  It sometimes works on reboot, and sometimes not.  It does always seem to work if you do two Ctrl-CAPSLOCK presses (to take it in and out of block character capslock), and then do a CAPSLOCK.   I'm looking farther, but since it's 800XL specific, I think something must be amiss in the POKEY emulation.  I wonder if the base atari800 has this issue, I may have to build it on Linux and find out.

16 minutes ago, atarimac said:

I'm looking farther, but since it's 800XL specific, I think something must be amiss in the POKEY emulation.  I wonder if the base atari800 has this issue, I may have to build it on Linux and find out.

If it is SDL related/a bug in SDL, would it be reasonable to use the native Mac OS routines for keyboard handling, but continue to use the SDL library for the rest of what you are using it for (presumably game controllers, video, etc)

On 9/10/2020 at 8:47 AM, bhall408 said:

@pedgarcia

Feature request - could the "Atari/Mac Linefeed Translation" option under ATR Disk Edit (cmd-E) be enhanced to *also* translate the tab character between Mac and Atari? That would come in super handy for moving source code back and forth (I use tabs extensively in both ASM and C code).

@atarimac - previously should have tagged you ;-)

@bhall408, I don't think it's a SDL bug now.  It turns out it has to do with how I'm handling International keyboards with the new SDL 2.  So this broke starting in 5.0, I'm just amazed no one has mentioned it till now.  Mixing in Mac native in that part of the code wouldn't be an easy change at this point, since all of that part of the emulator is in C, not Objective-C or Swift.

I'll figure it out, but it may be a week or two, since I'm also in the middle of adding Ultimate 1MB/SIDE2 support to the emulator as well.  I'll also add your other feature request to the list.  

• Like 1

It turns out it wasn't as bad to fix as I thought, caused by Yoda's brother:  Oh, duh!  The issue was with the way I read the keyboard with SDL, I use a method that makes international translation easier.  The only issue is that it takes into account the state of the Caps Lock key.  So the characters were getting forced to caps on the Mac side, I just had to reverse that effect.  

@skr, @tsom, and @bhall408, I have sent you PM's about doing some testing for me.....

• Like 1

19 hours ago, atarimac said:

It turns out it wasn't as bad to fix as I thought, caused by Yoda's brother:  Oh, duh!  The issue was with the way I read the keyboard with SDL, I use a method that makes international translation easier.  The only issue is that it takes into account the state of the Caps Lock key.  So the characters were getting forced to caps on the Mac side, I just had to reverse that effect.  

@skr, @tsom, and @bhall408, I have sent you PM's about doing some testing for me.....

Thumbs up! Looks good!