IGNORED

RS 232 interface hooked to PBI - relevant?

plz34

Hi,

so I got this serial interface device which gets hooked to PBI and I havent seen anything like it online. From what I can gather it has a baud controller and a quartz, which clocks it to 19.2 baud but technically the controller could go to around 100. It also has a 9 pin port which I believe gets plugged into the joystick port to get 5v there if necessary. Since connections over PBI are pretty fast as opposed to SIO, etc, I thought this might be of interest.

https://imgur.com/a/wOyUBTg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hello plz34

It was made in Germany.  I hope it's not (based on) the ARGS RS232 interface, as those guys only made stuff that was incompatible with just about everything (on the Atari 8 bit side).

Sincerely

Mathy

Ah yeah that seems to be it, 6551 being said controller.

A Super I/O card for the Incognito would be nice. There is card slot power and signals, as well as PBI.

Serial port(s), Paralell port(s) Other? ports... TeleVideo RS-422? There are many possibilities.

Z380 on board... The possibilities are endless when you look at NZ-COM for CP/M.

This is just brainstorming for a new card. Research NZ-COM and Z-System.

:)

Edited by Kyle22
More info.

Oh for sure. Its sad that there hasnt been done more with it. The BBC micro had an official co-processor port, which could hook anything to it, x86, 68k, today they use raspberries, etc. Kinda envious about that. The PBI could probably do similiar stuff.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, plz34 said:

Ah yeah that seems to be it, 6551 being said controller.

IIRC the 6551 chip is the same used in the Blackbox and MIO but they provide drivers in ROM, you could try the ATRs for the ARG 232 interface on the following webpage:

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=ARGS RS232 Cartridge

Edited by BillC

Yeah... the BlackBox & MIO Serial was nice: reliable 19200bps serial with hardware flow control (patches to help...) and PBI driver in ROM. Worked beautifully without having to use a hacked OS ROM.

Also PBI based printer+spooler, and of course bootable hard disk drives and SIO device swapping. BlackBox could even provide hardware UltraSpeed SIO support without OS ROM modifications.

The ARGS PBI stuff usually required a patched OS ROM...

• Like 1