IGNORED

Looking for Diner

Scathe

Doesn't matter if it's loose, CiB, or anywhere in between. I've been checking eBay off and on for a few weeks and it never seems to come up (except once, $125 + $13 shipping for a CiB, which was more than I wanted to go). If anyone knows anyone selling, let me know. Thanks!

Honestly, it took me two years of waiting patiently and consistently checking eBay in order to get a complete in box copy of Diner at a fair price. (I ended up paying $65.). It does come up, but as has been mentioned, there are a lot of people on eBay trying to gouge you, so just be patient and it will eventually come up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks all. Still checking every day. Hopefully it pops up for a decent price soon. I've still only seen the one for $125 show up there, and one for $43 USD in Australia, but the seller said it would be $30 USD to ship to the USA. Also got an offer from someone on here for $65 for a loose one, but I'll just wait it out.

2 minutes ago, Scathe said:

Thanks all. Still checking every day. Hopefully it pops up for a decent price soon. I've still only seen the one for $125 show up there, and one for $43 USD in Australia, but the seller said it would be $30 USD to ship to the USA. Also got an offer from someone on here for $65 for a loose one, but I'll just wait it out.

You may want to take that $65 offer.  Diner is getting increasingly rare to find, and you may be waiting a very long time to find one that will cost less than that.  That's actually not too bad of a price.

Edited by IntyFanMatt

1 minute ago, IntyFanMatt said:

You may want to take that $65 offer.  Diner is getting increasingly rare to find, and you may be waiting a very long time to find one that will cost less than that.  That's actually not too bad of a price.

That okay, if I never find one for less than like $40 max then I'm fine with never having it.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Scathe said:

That okay, if I never find one for less than like $40 max then I'm fine with never having it.

Sadly, the only way you can find one for less than $40 would be to find a bundle that has it, buy it, and sell off the remaining games to hopefully make the majority of your money back. I have not personally seen one go for less than $40.

Hope you find it though! fingers crossed for you..

Are you guys talking about loose or CiB? For loose, it averages about one sale per month on eBay and so far this year, each of those has been between $19 and $60: https://www.pricecharting.com/game/intellivision/diner#completed-auctions-used

Granted, most have been higher than $40, but none have been over $60, and deals for under $40 do seem to happen, if only a couple times a year (or at least, only a couple times THIS year; last year it routinely sold for no more than $30).

Edited by Scathe

5 minutes ago, Sinjinhawke said:

That's been up for quite some time. I definitely don't expect that to ever sell at that price, but who knows?

A lot of people on eBay definitely try to take advantage of situations where they're the only person selling a particular item. I guess they figure if someone is desperate enough to get that manual, they might be willing to pay just about anything for it. I still doubt they'll be successful, but listing stuff on there costs nothing, so I guess they must figure it's worth a shot.

Also of note about Price Charting: if anything, the Price Charting averages and "sold for" amounts are higher than reality. PC has no way of knowing when a best offer was taken, or what the actual price was if a best offer was accepted. Also, eBay prices are naturally inflated by sellers anyway because of eBay taking a 10% cut of the sale. I generally take about 10% off of the PC average to account for best offers, and another 10% off if I'm buying outside of eBay because a seller outside of eBay isn't trying to make up for eBay's fees. So for this example, I would put the 'outside of eBay' value of Diner at around $34, and the eBay value at around $37-$38. I'm willing to pay a little more than that because it's one that I really want, but $40 is still my max (on or off of eBay). That's basically how I arrived at the number mentioned above.

Edited by Scathe

2 minutes ago, Scathe said:

Also of note about Price Charting: if anything, the Price Charting averages and "sold for" amounts are higher than reality. PC has no way of knowing when a best offer was taken, or what the actual price was if a best offer was accepted. Also, eBay prices are naturally inflated by sellers anyway because of eBay taking a 10% cut of the sale. I generally take about 10% off of the PC average to account for best offers, and another 10% off if I'm buying outside of eBay because a seller outside of eBay isn't trying to make up for eBay's fees. So for this example, I would put the 'outside of eBay' value of Diner at around $34. I'm willing to pay a little more than that because it's one that I really want, but $40 is still my max (on or off of eBay). That's basically how I arrived at the number mentioned above.

It seems that Diner is becoming more and more rare these days.  It all depends on how bad you want it, to be honest.  If you don't want it right away, just wait it out and see.  But you may be waiting a very long time, or forever for that matter, lol.  You never know.

1 minute ago, IntyFanMatt said:

It seems that Diner is becoming more and more rare these days.  It all depends on how bad you want it, to be honest.  If you don't want it right away, just wait it out and see.  But you may be waiting a very long time, or forever for that matter, lol.  You never know.

I'm not sure what would cause it to suddenly become more rare. I think the prices just fluctuate. If you look at Price Charting going all the way back to 2018, it was going for $30-$40 on average (I don't believe the one that shows $70 was really sold for that; that's an example of where a best offer was almost definitely accepted, because it's the only one in Price Charting history that's ever supposedly sold for more than $60), but all the other ones were like $40 max. Then when you look at 2019, it almost never sold for more than $20. For pretty much the whole year, it was selling for like half of the previous year's average. And now in 2020, it's back up to between $40-$50, but that price range incidentally only started after March. I think people just being stuck at home a lot more has caused an influx of collecting, but it likely won't last.

8 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Who's selling this for $65? PM me if you'll ship to Canada!

Well I hope they PM you, because I don't want to post the name here in case someone else would PM them before you, or if someone disagreed with the price and started a witch hunt. If they don't PM you, let me know and I'll send them a message for you.

7 minutes ago, Scathe said:

I'm not sure what would cause it to suddenly become more rare. I think the prices just fluctuate. If you look at Price Charting going all the way back to 2018, it was going for $30-$40 on average (I don't believe the one that shows $70 was really sold for that; that's an example of where a best offer was almost definitely accepted, because it's the only one in Price Charting history that's ever supposedly sold for more than $60), but all the other ones were like $40 max. Then when you look at 2019, it almost never sold for more than $20. For pretty much the whole year, it was selling for like half of the previous year's average. And now in 2020, it's back up to between $40-$50, but that price range incidentally only started after March. I think people just being stuck at home a lot more has caused an influx of collecting, but it likely won't last.

Yeah, retro gaming is more popular than ever.  And with the Amico on the horizon, I bet people have gone back to collect past Intellivision games because of this renewed interest.  Just a hunch though.  Up to you how long you want to wait.  Good luck to ya!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Yeah, retro gaming is more popular than ever.  And with the Amico on the horizon, I bet people have gone back to collect past Intellivision games because of this renewed interest.  Just a hunch though.  Up to you how long you want to wait.  Good luck to ya!

Thanks, much appreciated. It may be a really long wait, unfortunately (or never). Makes me wish the LTO Flash carts were still around so I could at least play the game on real hardware.

I do have an original 1989 Spiker loose cart and a list of games missing from my collection, if anyone would be interested in a possible trade.

Edited by Scathe
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Scathe said:

Thanks, much appreciated. It may be a really long wait, unfortunately (or never). Makes me wish the LTO Flash carts were still around so I could at least play the game on real hardware.

I do have an original 1989 Spiker loose cart and a list of games missing from my collection, if anyone would be interested in a possible trade.

Well, the LTO Flash is supposed to have another production run soon, there is another thread here covering that.  That could be the other option you need...

2 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Well, the LTO Flash is supposed to have another production run soon, there is another thread here covering that.  That could be the other option you need...

By the same token, if and when the Flash has another run, a bunch of people might dump their collections and cause prices to crash again, making it much more affordable to complete a collection. We'll have to see what happens, but that could be interesting to watch unfold.

• Like 1

Just now, Scathe said:

By the same token, if and when the Flash has another run, a bunch of people might dump their collections and cause prices to crash again, making it much more affordable to complete a collection. We'll have to see what happens, but that could be interesting to watch unfold.

That's true, but typically retro gamers tend to hang on to their collections, from my experience.  We shall see!