IGNORED

TheC64 Full Size - Pre-orders Open for USA

StephenJ

On 10/28/2020 at 10:11 AM, eightbit said:

I think TheC64 full sized unit is a good device. It is especially a good device for those folks who do not have a C64 at all anymore and just want to have most of the experience without dealing with nearly 40 year old hardware. It does indeed work great and the software compatibility is quite high. The emulation is pretty spot on.

The only thing that kills it for me is that it is HDMI only. Of course it is pixel perfect crisp on an HDMI flat panel TV, but that is not nostalgic to me personally. I like to use my Commodore 8-bit machines with a CRT TV. If they just added a composite or s-video option that would have been great.

This is why I like my Ultimate64.  All the awesome of modern convenience with the original keyboard and ability to connect to the old Commodore 1084S.  Also dual SID chips!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, leech said:

This is why I like my Ultimate64.  All the awesome of modern convenience with the original keyboard and ability to connect to the old Commodore 1084S.  Also dual SID chips!

This is the direction I am leaning, away from the 64Maxi.  I have both an Ultimate64 and a 64ReloadedMK2.  Between the two of those I should be just fine.  I am, however, curious about the Maxi's keyboard.

1 hour ago, OLD CS1 said:

I have both an Ultimate64 and a 64ReloadedMK2.

Except for wanting it all, I strongly doubt you're in the market segment for the THEC64 Maxi. That isn't to say you're not suitable to buy one, just that you get the product they expect their customers need, not the product that you necessarily would want to buy.

1 hour ago, carlsson said:

Except for wanting it all, I strongly doubt you're in the market segment for the THEC64 Maxi. That isn't to say you're not suitable to buy one, just that you get the product they expect their customers need, not the product that you necessarily would want to buy.

Yeah.  I think I said as much in another thread.  There are some advantages to the Maxi, but I think not enough to serve me.  I am impressed with the look of the machine and I would like to see what its keyboard is like.  My big aggravation is the disk swapping feature is (apparently) available in the Maxi but not the Mini.

Good and bad news folks. My Amazon purchased “The C64” (pre-ordered in August) arrived today, so yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. 

Bad news is “The Vic20” I pre-ordered in October is now showing as an early January delivery, but it’s also now showing as another “The C64”, and a search on Amazon for “The Vic20” no longer finds that unit. ?   I wanted both models! Grrrrrr!!! I never can understand all the licensing and marketing drama on 35+ year old repro tech. Ugh!

DCFB0A7B-1803-4F3C-93BE-EF03E89DA323.jpeg

• Sad 1

On 11/22/2020 at 4:13 PM, TimsterAA said:

Good and bad news folks. My Amazon purchased “The C64” (pre-ordered in August) arrived today, so yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. 

Bad news is “The Vic20” I pre-ordered in October is now showing as an early January delivery, but it’s also now showing as another “The C64”, and a search on Amazon for “The Vic20” no longer finds that unit. ?   I wanted both models! Grrrrrr!!! I never can understand all the licensing and marketing drama on 35+ year old repro tech. Ugh!

DCFB0A7B-1803-4F3C-93BE-EF03E89DA323.jpeg

How is it?   Do you like it?   

On 11/23/2020 at 1:18 PM, themewsh said:

Update: just got an email saying to expect it Saturday, here we go!

Did yours ship?  When did you pre-order?

I pre-ordered 9/8 and got the message about Dec-Jan estimated delivery.  Then a few days later I got a new date of 11/25.  11/25 it didnt ship and I got a new date of today (11/28) and of course it didn't ship and got a new "You must Approve the delay" message.  A call to Amazon was pointless as they know nothing.  Not a really great experience so far...  Of all the years and years of pre-ordering on Amazon this is the most delayed product so far for me.  Of course the world scene doesn't help.  There are reports on facebook that they were briefly in stock and reportedly some were able to order them without a pre-order.  If that is true then it sucks.

Oh well life goes on and it is not a big deal in the grand scheme, it's just annoying.

34 minutes ago, Zippy Zapp said:

Did yours ship?  When did you pre-order?

I pre-ordered 9/8 and got the message about Dec-Jan estimated delivery.  Then a few days later I got a new date of 11/25.  11/25 it didnt ship and I got a new date of today (11/28) and of course it didn't ship and got a new "You must Approve the delay" message.  A call to Amazon was pointless as they know nothing.  Not a really great experience so far...  Of all the years and years of pre-ordering on Amazon this is the most delayed product so far for me.  Of course the world scene doesn't help.  There are reports on facebook that they were briefly in stock and reportedly some were able to order them without a pre-order.  If that is true then it sucks.

Oh well life goes on and it is not a big deal in the grand scheme, it's just annoying.

It didn’t ship...I’ve been holding out hope as sometimes they do one day stuff bc of a close warehouse.

then...

I got an email this morning saying they won’t be able to fulfill it :(

23 hours ago, bradhig1 said:

Doesn't the C64 maxi have a Vic-20 mode?

Yes, it does but THEVIC20 defaults to VIC-20 mode and has a few more VIC games preinstalled, if that is what ticks your fantasy. Unfortunately it seems to lack all the Commodore cartridges, possibly due to rights issues since many of those were knock-offs or partly licensed arcade games. It also has a very strong UK bias when it comes to the tape based games included, but so does THEC64 to be honest. For people who enjoyed both computers mainly in the USA, a lot of the titles included may be next to unknown, again of course due to which rights owners they were able to reach and from whom they could obtain the rights for a commercial product.

I understand that THEVIC20 is a limited run while THEC64 might be remanufactured and/or updated in the future which explains why there are fewer units and that it may to a bigger degree look like a collector's item from the start. I can reveal that a member on the forum hunted high and low for THEVIC20 and was in contact with me for possibly buying overseas, before he found a source which had units for sale at a decent price. Neither of the two resellers (businesses) I was in contact with were eager to sell it abroad, meaning I would have been the middle man and even if I did it for zero profit, the total costs would be in the range of at least $215 - 220, possibly a little more, which probably is 50% more than most people would expect to pay, and still without me gaining a single dollar in helping out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnnyRockets said:

Hi all,

Can you all tell me what the main differences are between the UK version and the US version?

Thank you!

JR

The power adapter. That is the only difference in hardware. The games on the UK version are different from the US version.

Other then that, they are literally the same.

Perhaps my Google-fu is weak, but where is the list of games on the US version?

Here are the games on THEC64 Mini European version.

These are the games on THEC64 Mini North American version.

These games come preinstalled on THEC64 Maxi European version.

These games are on the THEVIC20 European (?) version.

I'm sure somewhere there is a spreadsheet with which games are present on which edition.

17 hours ago, carlsson said:

Perhaps my Google-fu is weak, but where is the list of games on the US version?

Here are the games on THEC64 Mini European version.

These are the games on THEC64 Mini North American version.

These games come preinstalled on THEC64 Maxi European version.

These games are on the THEVIC20 European (?) version.

I'm sure somewhere there is a spreadsheet with which games are present on which edition.

Hey Carlsson - thanks again for offering to ship me a "The Vic20". I did get the order I put in that day we spoke and it arrived. I can't believe people that put in before me have now had their orders cancelled. Such bullsh*t!

I compared the games listed on my boxes with the listed games from the links you provided. The Vic20 list on mine is identical to the website, but that's because I'm certain mine came from Europe, somehow via Amazon's backend page I stumbled across that weekend I talked to you. It was really weird because a direct search in Amazon yielded nothing, but linking from a google search I did brought me to an American Amazon page for a euro based distributor. I was able to order one, shipped, for just over $150 US. Totally bizarre.

The games listed on the C64 box I got are a bit different than the euro list on the website. I've cobbled the two lists in comparison below if anyone else is curious of the differences. According to the site, two of the Euro games (I highlighted in red) are Vic-20 games. If any of the US C64 games are Vic-20 games, I can't tell from the box and I don't know off the top of my head based on the names.

I really hope they make more of these and give others that wanted them (and pre-ordered them!) another chance to get them. 

Euro US
AlleyKat AlleyKat
Anarchy Anarchy
Attack of the Mutant Camels  
Avenger Avenger
Battle Valley Battle Valley
Bear Bovver  
Boulder Dash Boulder Dash
Bounder  
  Break Dance
California Games California Games
Chip's Challenge Chip's Challenge
  Coil Cop
Confuzion Confuzion
Cosmic Causeway Cosmic Causeway
Cyberdyne Warrior Cyberdyne Warrior
  Cybernoid
Cybernoid II: The Revenge Cybernoid II: The Revenge
Deflektor Deflektor
Destroyer Destroyer
Everyone's a Wally Everyone's a Wally
Firelord Firelord
Galencia (Firmware 1.2.0+)  
Gateway to Apshai Gateway to Apshai
Gribbly's Day Out Gribbly's Day Out
GridRunner  
Heartland Heartland
Herobotix Herobotix
Highway Encounter Highway Encounter
Hover Bovver  
  Hunter's Moon
  Hysteria
IO IO
Impossible Mission Impossible Mission
Impossible Mission II Impossible Mission II
Iridis Alpha  
Jumpman Jumpman
  Jumpman 2
Mega Apolalypse Mega Apolalypse
Mission A.D. Mission A.D.
Monty Mole  
Monty on the Run Monty on the Run
Nebulus (Tower Toppler)  
Netherworld Netherworld
  Nobby the Aardvark
Nodes of Yesod Nodes of Yesod
Paradroid Paradroid
Pitstop II Pitstop II
Planet of Death  
Psychedlia  
Ranarama Ranarama
Robin of the Wood Robin of the Wood
Silicon Warrior Silicon Warrior
Skate Crazy Skate Crazy
  Skool Daze
  Snare
  Speedball
Speedball 2 – Brutal Deluxe Speedball 2 – Brutal Deluxe
Spindizzy Spindizzy
Steel  
Street Sports Baseball Street Sports Baseball
Street Sports Basketball Street Sports Basketball
  Street Sports Soccer
Summer Games II Summer Games I & II
Super Cycle Super Cycle
Sword of Fargoal Sword of Fargoal
Temple of Apshai Trilogy Temple of Apshai Trilogy
The Arc of Yesod The Arc of Yesod
Thing on a Spring Thing on a Spring
Thing Bounces Back  
  Tower Toppler (Nebulous)
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Uridium Uridium
  West Bank
Who Dares Wins II Who Dares Wins II
Winter Games Winter Games
World Games World Games
Zynaps Zynaps

And for quick summary...

- The games on both systems: AlleyKat, Anarchy, Avenger, Battle Valley, Boulder Dash, California Games, Chip's Challenge, Confuzion, Cosmic Causeway, Cyberdyne Warrior, Cybernoid II: The Revenge, Deflektor, Destroyer, Everyone's a Wally, Firelord, Gateway to Apshai, Gribbly's Day Out, Heartland, Herobotix, Highway Encounter, IO, Impossible Mission, Impossible Mission II, Jumpman, Mega Apolalypse, Mission A.D., Monty on the Run, Netherworld, Nodes of Yesod, Paradroid, Pitstop II, Ranarama, ,Robin of the Wood, Silicon Warrior, Skate Crazy, Speedball 2 – Brutal Deluxe, Spindizzy, Street Sports Baseball, Street Sports Basketball, Summer  Games II, Super Cycle, Sword of Fargoal, Temple of Apshai Trilogy, The Arc of Yesod, Thing on a Spring, Trailblazer, Uridium, Who Dares Wins II, Winter Games, World Games, Zynaps

- The games only on the Euro are: Attack of the Mutant Camels, Bear Bovver, Bounder, Galencia (Firmware 1.2.0+), GridRunner, Hover Bovver, Iridis Alpha, Monty Mole, Nebulus (Tower Toppler), Planet of Death, Psychedlia, Steel, Thing Bounces Back

- The games only on the US are: Break Dance, Coil Cop, Cybernoid, Hunter's Moon, Hysteria, Jumpman 2, Nobby the Aardvark, Skool Daze, Snare, Speedball, Street Sports Soccer, Tower Toppler (Nebulous), West Bank

• Like 1