IGNORED

TheC64 Full Size - Pre-orders Open for USA

StephenJ

15 hours ago, bradhig1 said:

The triangle buttons on the joystick suck.  I keep bumping them by accident and is there a way to turn them off?   What does an up arrow in the upper right corner of the screen mean?  I keep seeing it.

The one of the left is the worst. My thumb naturally presses up against it and I am constantly accidentally hitting it. 

Some games (most) use port 2.  Some games used port 1.  BITD, if the joystick didn't respond to one port, you had to plug it into the other.  On The C64, the default for the joystick is port 2.  You can force a game to use port 1 by adding a _J1 to the file name.  Example: my_game.d64 becomes my_game_J1.d64

You can't make it universal, because Commodore 64 software did not work that way.

Port 1 is less frequently used because it interferes with several keys on the left side of the keyboard.

Edited by Casey

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, schnuth said:

I noticed these came back in stock on Amazon and I bought one just now. Figured I’d post in case anyone else has been wanting one.

i just checked amazon and didnt see it. i did see a mini selling at the price for a full size

On 3/5/2021 at 10:31 PM, schnuth said:

I noticed these came back in stock on Amazon and I bought one just now. Figured I’d post in case anyone else has been wanting one.

Wow!  How did I not hear about these until now!  Argh, been saving to try and score a Commodore 128, but they're so hard to find.  This is so tempting.  No "must have" games in the list though...

7 hours ago, nadir said:

Wow!  How did I not hear about these until now!  Argh, been saving to try and score a Commodore 128, but they're so hard to find.  This is so tempting.  No "must have" games in the list though...

I still see an original with the right combination of original and modern peripherals as infinitely better to VICE in a nice package, but I still bought one just for the hell of it. It's a cool homage.

1 hour ago, Swami said:

I still see an original with the right combination of original and modern peripherals as infinitely better to VICE in a nice package, but I still bought one just for the hell of it. It's a cool homage.

That was my mindset too, as I have many different devices that will play C64 games besides my actual C64.  :D Plus these US editions are selling for twice the going rate on eBay if you decide you don't want it down the line.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, amiman99 said:

I was able to get last one on Amazon at list price, just got it today.

Looks and plays pretty good.

I just started getting back to my C64 stuff, for someone who has an Ultimate64, a C64 and a C128, with an 1541 Ultimate II+ on the way, is there any reason to buy TheC64?

2 hours ago, leech said:

I just started getting back to my C64 stuff, for someone who has an Ultimate64, a C64 and a C128, with an 1541 Ultimate II+ on the way, is there any reason to buy TheC64?

Probably not.

But, TheC64 Maxi is better then the Mini, with full size keyboard and more usb ports.

I do wish it had regular 9pin ports, I dont really like the big joystick (personal preference).

18 minutes ago, amiman99 said:

Probably not.

But, TheC64 Maxi is better then the Mini, with full size keyboard and more usb ports.

I do wish it had regular 9pin ports, I dont really like the big joystick (personal preference).

Yeah, I kind of figure I already have a MiSTer, so don't need any other FPGA based system.

7 hours ago, leech said:

Yeah, I kind of figure I already have a MiSTer, so don't need any other FPGA based system.

THEC64 Maxi and Mini use a Vice type emulator. It's not FPGA. Could be an outdated emulator as the ones that come with commercial devices are usually a few version older than state-of-the art. If I read the posts at Lemon64 about the Maxi and the latest version on sourceforge, the Maxi and Mini use Vice 2.4 while the most recent version on sourceforge uses 3.5. It would be interesting if it could be upgraded to the latest version like they did with the Stella emulator used for the Retron77.

8 hours ago, Swami said:

THEC64 Maxi and Mini use a Vice type emulator. It's not FPGA. Could be an outdated emulator as the ones that come with commercial devices are usually a few version older than state-of-the art. If I read the posts at Lemon64 about the Maxi and the latest version on sourceforge, the Maxi and Mini use Vice 2.4 while the most recent version on sourceforge uses 3.5. It would be interesting if it could be upgraded to the latest version like they did with the Stella emulator used for the Retron77.

I am sure it can be, software is software, right?  Anyone take theirs apart and have a go at installing other things?  Maybe I will buy one just to muck with.

8 hours ago, leech said:

I am sure it can be, software is software, right?  Anyone take theirs apart and have a go at installing other things?  Maybe I will buy one just to muck with.

I was kind of feeling the same, might as well get one to just mess around with.  Unfortunately though, I don't see them available anywhere at the moment...  Meh.  Well, I want to get some kind of adapter for my C128 so I can load games on it, maybe I'll put my time into researching that and see if I can find one.  It'd be more fun to play on the real hardware anyways instead of the repackaged emulator.

1 hour ago, nadir said:

I was kind of feeling the same, might as well get one to just mess around with.  Unfortunately though, I don't see them available anywhere at the moment...  Meh.  Well, I want to get some kind of adapter for my C128 so I can load games on it, maybe I'll put my time into researching that and see if I can find one.  It'd be more fun to play on the real hardware anyways instead of the repackaged emulator.

Agreed.  I have an 1541 Ultimate II+ on tge way!

1 hour ago, OLD CS1 said:

No, straight up Vice.

(Which you point out later, yes.)

On another note, @carlsson, are you still able to get these over there?

In the back of my mind, I did wonder what they used as an OS and if it and Vice were customized somehow for patenting, which might create difficulties in upgrading the Vice release. It seems to be something of the Linux on Android/Pi variety that's gone through many iterations and it turns alien for me quickly. Like, for whatever reason, the customized emulator (OS?) on Atari Flashbacks has been designed to not be upgradable to by customers with any open source software.