IGNORED

Turrican Genesis/MD/SNES getting rereleased for those systems

It seems that I've been talking about Factor 5 a bit recently...

Anyway, Super Turrican, Super Turrican 2, and Mega Turrican, including Director's Cut versions of Super and Mega (not Super 2 for some reason) are getting rereleased through Strictly Limited Games

https://store.strictlylimitedgames.com/collections/turrican

Bob wrote about it on RetroRGB, if you care:

https://www.retrorgb.com/turrican-games-available-from-strictly-limited.html

These are pretty expensive, I think, but it's certainly interesting to see a Mega Turrican Director's Cut, as I don't think I've heard of such a thing before. Super Turrican Director's Cut is obviously on the Super Nt, though.

I might get all 3 of these, but I hope that the Mega Turrican cart works on my Japanese Mega Drive. I suppose I could just open the system and remove the cart lock mechanism or use the Mega Sg, 32X, or my Nomad, though. As for Super Turrican, I'm not sure what would happen if I put a PAL cart in my Super Famicom (will it run at 50Hz? Will it be region locked and tell me to go to hell? I don't know!), so I suppose if I wanted to get those, I may have to use my Super Nt anyway since I don't have a US SNES and US carts won't fit in a Super Famicom without disassembly of either the cart or the system.

I'm honestly more interested in Mega (for the Director's Cut, mostly) than Super since Super is already on my Super Nt, so I suppose it would be best to just skip it completely and just get Mega instead.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Punisher5.0 said:

I saw this today too. Im thinking about getting the Switch versions. Its kind of ridiculous that all of these were not on one cart though. All the games combined have to be way lower than the lowest capacity cart.

Yeah, there is absolutely no way they can't all fit on there. Not sure how big the original games are, but I do know that each one is probably measured in double-digit megabytes at the absolute maximum. At least, the console versions are. Not sure about the Amiga/Commodore 64 versions, but the Commodore 64 versions are not included anyway.

I'm also wondering about the fact that these games were made by a European developer, Factor 5, which means they were probably designed specifically for 50Hz. Although I have played them for a few minutes each on the Mega Sg and Super Nt already, I also don't know if these games run too fast at 60Hz.

Still, as I mentioned over in the Rogue Squadron 3 thread, Factor 5 is an extremely talented studio, so it's possible they got optimized for 60Hz, assuming they were developed for 50Hz (they probably were).

I'm a big Turrican fan, having played the original on C64, Turrican II on ST and Amiga and put a lot of time in on Mega Turrican, but those prices made me wince. 

Not escaped media attention either.. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-08-28-turrican-returns-with-a-set-of-pricey-30th-anniversary-anthologies

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Punisher5.0 said:

I saw this today too. Im thinking about getting the Switch versions. Its kind of ridiculous that all of these were not on one cart though. All the games combined have to be way lower than the lowest capacity cart.

Sorry for double quote, but I found the reason that they decided to make 2 collections:

Anyway, yeah, I put Mega Turrican, Super Turrican, and Super Turrican 2 in my cart over at Strictly Limited Games several hours ago and I'm still thinking about it. That's a lot of cash, but then I looked at the prices for Super Turrican 2 on ebay... terrifying.

2 minutes ago, youxia said:

Yeah, the Amiga/C64 communities are not amused, especially seeing as the pitch kind of implied there might be a new game coming out.

If you really really REALLY wanted to stretch it, I do not think there has been a Mega Turrican Director's Cut before, and Super Turrican Director's Cut is only on the Super Nt, so I suppose some people (not me) might consider at least one of those to be "new" somehow, but...

8 minutes ago, youxia said:

Well, to be fair they did not actually say there is going to be a new game, but everyone kind of assumed so anyway, perhaps projecting a bit.

What actually is ST Director's Cut? Any significant new features?

I was wondering if they are going to add the levels etc from the SNES Beta of Super Turrican? 

https://www.unseen64.net/2012/05/14/super-turrican-beta-snes/

1 hour ago, youxia said:

Yeah, the Amiga/C64 communities are not amused, especially seeing as the pitch kind of implied there might be a new game coming out.

We've been here a good few times over the years. 

Hope's raised, then cruelly dashed over a new Turrican game:

https://www.unseen64.net/2009/04/08/thornado-n64-prototype/

https://www.unseen64.net/2009/03/23/turrican-3d-pc-cancelled/

https://www.unseen64.net/2009/05/27/project-c-factor-5-ps3-cancelled/

https://www.gamesthatwerent.com/gtw64/turrican-3-v1/

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, youxia said:

Well, to be fair they did not actually say there is going to be a new game, but everyone kind of assumed so anyway, perhaps projecting a bit.

What actually is ST Director's Cut? Any significant new features?

Honestly I haven't played the original version, and I also haven't played the Director's Cut for more than 2~3 minutes even though I've had it for about a year now, but I do know that it supposedly has an incredible 6 MEGA POWER!!! and at least one new level and some music that was previously cut from the original version or something like that. I heard that the Director's Cut is actually not a completed game, but I can't say if it is or not with any authority due to the above reasons.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Yeah, there is absolutely no way they can't all fit on there. Not sure how big the original games are, but I do know that each one is probably measured in double-digit megabytes at the absolute maximum. At least, the console versions are. Not sure about the Amiga/Commodore 64 versions, but the Commodore 64 versions are not included anyway.

I'm also wondering about the fact that these games were made by a European developer, Factor 5, which means they were probably designed specifically for 50Hz. Although I have played them for a few minutes each on the Mega Sg and Super Nt already, I also don't know if these games run too fast at 60Hz.

Still, as I mentioned over in the Rogue Squadron 3 thread, Factor 5 is an extremely talented studio, so it's possible they got optimized for 60Hz, assuming they were developed for 50Hz (they probably were).

Sounds interesting. I wonder what kind of video they have planned. I have them sitting in my cart too but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Id like to have both Switch carts, SNES and MD versions but that is just way too much money.

5 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Sorry for double quote, but I found the reason that they decided to make 2 collections:

Anyway, yeah, I put Mega Turrican, Super Turrican, and Super Turrican 2 in my cart over at Strictly Limited Games several hours ago and I'm still thinking about it. That's a lot of cash, but then I looked at the prices for Super Turrican 2 on ebay... terrifying.

Could've stuck all the games on one disc and done a special edition with the video content on a second disc for all those that give a shit. And  that crap about consistancy in gameplay experience is just that.......crap.  

Well, I just spent an entire day not thinking about these games because I forgot they exist. They got removed from my cart for some reason, so I put them back in my cart where they will remain for a while as I forget to think about it every day.

16 minutes ago, Atariboy said:

Unless they're just holding back information on digital versions, I don't like that they're allowed to apparently release physical exclusives. 

I think this also happened with SLG's physical Darius Cozmic Collection for the PS4. There was no word on whether or not it was coming digitally to PS4 for a while. I think we can assume these will come digitally to PS4 and Switch.

Those digital Darius collections are pricey on the Switch (can't speak for the PS4 versons).  £35 for the arcade collection and £45 for the console.  I hope they release Turrican digitally they are more reasonable.

Edited by Lord Innit
Forgot my last sentence