IGNORED

VIC-1010 Expansion on eBay

OLD CS1

1 hour ago, carlsson said:

Perhaps. Based on Google cache of various sites linking to eBay auctions, that one seems to have been for sale at least since July 2nd, possibly longer.

I suppose the availability of more convenient accessories for the VIC limits the interest in items like the 1010 to hard core collectors who want a state-of-the-art VIC-20 set-up as it would have been in 1981.  For my part, I've got a Mega-Cart and an SD2IEC and that will do me.  A 1010 would be a swimming pool purchase to me; a nice status symbol but not something I'm going to use very often.  Same deal with the 1540.  A VIC-1001 for $400 would be snapped up immediately because I know I would use it but I also know that it's never going to happen.

When a seller lists an item with an expensive BIN, it usually means he doesn't fancy his chances in a straight auction but this is something that needs to be protected from being under-sold as it is a valuable item.  $400 seems fair if you want a VIC-1010.

Edited by English Invader

11 hours ago, English Invader said:

These things are pretty rare and, in terms of status with VIC-20 collectors, it's not far behind the VIC-1001 (early Japanese release of the VIC-20) and the 1540 disk drive.  Those original VIC-20 era accessories are pretty much the holy grail.

I had TWO VIC-1540s I picked up from a garage sale in the 90s.  I am sad to say that I unceremoniously eliminated them around 2000 as I could not get anyone to take them and I had long since moved past the VIC-20.

I wondered about the $400 price tag, as well.  I am in agreement with @English Invader about the item and its potential market.

Not entirely sure, but I think the 1020 is a little more common, at least in the 9V two-prong variety. It also works as a monitor stand, unlike the 1010 which is oriented in the other direction so it not only occupies space behind the VIC, but also a lot to its right side. A rather peculiar design actually, though of course it leaves all the other connectors free. Strictly for cartridge expansion, there are other and cheaper solutions but again this is a collectable more than something you'd buy to use. At least these days.