IGNORED

Looks like my gear has to go....Yet another rollercoaster.

Mclaneinc

My life has so many ups and downs I feel like I'm on a rollercoaster awaiting the next dip..

Well that dip has happened, due to mental health issues and dementia in my in laws they just dropped a bombshell. The car that I have is co-funded by them, its a true family car, I take them to appointments, shopping, pay for the petrol and servicing and they pay the tax and insurance. When I took the car on which was a gift from my now passed friend Bob I made it clear that I cannot run the car on my own so they agreed to do their bit. Well that has been suddenly withdrawn because my sister in laws mental health is very disturbed and my mother in law has dementia and is finding life hard. So come January I lose the car unless I can save up enough which is pointless as we live hand to mouth. The car is also my road to better health and state of mind, it allows me to get out of the house without the mental pressures of crowds etc.

So with a sad heart I will look up what my gear could get and decide what I need to do, personally I don't think even with it all that it will touch the sides. Someone suggested a gofundme which is my last hope, I've set it up but I'm NOT asking you guys for money, you all have been the best mates I could think of over the years but for those wanting to help I'd ask (if you want) to post my gofundme link on you facebook or twitter, I repeat only if you want to.

I'm not trying to break rules so if you are willing to do that then the link will be here but hidden

I feel awful for asking but I'm pretty much out of choices, ebay is awful and what gear I have might make a portion of what I need but then I'm pretty much in the same boat. With my daughter going to Uni the car would make so many things so much easier even if it was just for a year more.

Again I apologise for asking, its not in my nature to beg, I feel like a utter loser at this moment..

• Like 3
  • Sad 10

10 Quid headed your way.   I'm not sure what the percentage thing is, I guess to keep their site running?  I only gave them 10% for that.

You've done more than most to help keep the Atari 8-bit scene alive - probably more active promoting Altirra than anyone out there and always with valuable input and opinions.

Whatever happens, try and keep your Atari gear.

• Like 3

Thank you so much, I can't put into words the appreciation..

My gear, if it has to go then so be it but I don't want to just sell for peanuts..

Thank you for the kind words also, I just do what most of us do, help where I can, keep the flag flying, but yes, an Altirra freak :)

From the gofundme page:

Donations made to a certified charity fundraiser can be made by PayPal, but personal fundraisers cannot accept PayPal. They can only accept credit or debit card donations.

Sorry, no credit card here :(

I don't have much money to spend myself, but I can always miss a fiver.

I sent you you some money through Paypal, Paul.  I tried Gofundme but was having some issues with it. I don't know if it's a US to Great Britain thing. The thing about autos is that they are universally a pain in the ass no matter where you are at in the world.

• Like 2

I've been in similar financial shape myself, about 15 years ago I had to sell of nearly everything I owned in my electronics collection and more. If I had it all to sell today, easily $25 grand worth of stuff I got a fraction of that back then. I've been slowly collecting ever since, and being self employed you don't ever get a steady paycheck, it's boon or bust, due to both the seasonal nature of it and the economy.

Though back then I didn't have the courage and felt too embarrassed to mention it here, and there was no go-fund-me either. I did make it through by selling stuff off. Sometimes that's just life, but I was also younger and no health issues, and single, so it's easier to do without when it is just you. These days I at least have 10 acres of land and a house I re-built myself, all payed for, so I can get by on very little usually, with few bills. Recently, as you already know, Paul, I had all 3 of my vehicles go down on me at once, and had to rely on borrowing a truck from a friend for a few months until I got them fixed or replaced. I of course will do what I can to help a friend, Paul.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 3

Thank you all...I don't have the words to express my gratitude properly...Not having the best of times here at the moment, horrible neighbours, health and other stuff but you guys and all the people I know are just the perfect set of friends you could ever wish for.

The car is due an MOT, a vehicle safety check soon, should it fail all cash will be refunded straight away as any repair bills will make the car simply not worth the hassle of doing and that is just the truth, garage bills are never cheap and I have no wish to be ripped off...Been down that route before and the car I had ended up costing more than it was worth, I think many of us know that scenario. Not here to take advantage so while I hope it passes (should I think) should it not all monies will be returned, same if I get too high an insurance bill and I cannot cover it. With all this COVID I have no clue what will happen but if the car can't go ahead then no one sees their money wasted.

You have my word and I'm a person that values that..

Edit: don't want to miss out on people..

Thank you Alfred and Matt, fingers crossed and yeah Matt, 3 cars in one go, I truly wish I was in a better state and could help, it just shows that we all know poor luck and trouble, I'm lost at the kindness shown and so sorry for others struggling, I wish I had a way to fix it all, I really do...

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 4

I’ll donate some money once I’ve got my CC details to hand. I have no problem helping a person in need if I have the means to do so. This is what being part of a community is all about. 

EDIT: Right I've done that now.

Edited by Ely
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Thank you Alfred and Matt, fingers crossed and yeah Matt, 3 cars in one go, I truly wish I was in a better state and could help, it just shows that we all know poor luck and trouble, I'm lost at the kindness shown and so sorry for others struggling, I wish I had a way to fix it all, I really do...

It's all good, I've got one vehicle replaced, and my business partner has a vehicle for the business, and we are starting to get more work now that people are starting to come out of hidng from Covid-19, so I'll make it through. Sent a bit via your Paypal account.

• Like 2

? Somebody donated £700(!). That person either has a CC# list ;) or is just very, very generous!  :) ?

Don't know how expensive car insurrance and taxes are in the UK, but hopefuly that could keep you driving for at least 6 months.

Edited by ivop
  • Like 6

Ah, I did wonder, thank you so much Voxel, as for the 700.00 I have no clue but I'm as with everyone eternally grateful..

And as you mentioned, Its now hit the target so please, no more, and you genuinely have blown me away with kindness.

@ivop, car insurance isn't cheap anywhere but mine is high because although I've never had a single point against me I was driving a hire car a lot so my insurance lapsed and I had lost all the no claims bonus so the new insurance was very expensive, as this hopefully (mot allowing) will be the third year I'm hoping there will be a drop in the policy but with COVID etc I have no clue..

• Like 5

Best wishes to you Paul, sorry to hear of your current situation. It's good to see that there are still many good people pulling together during tough times and looking out for each other.

Edited by Tezz
  • Like 1

Hi again guys on this sad day with the passing of the wonderful man, Curt Vendel....

But as much as the cash is great in case there's any unforeseen extra's you really don't need to keep sending it, I don't want to 'take advantage' of the stunningly good will, I so appreciate it but I just want to make sure people know I hit my goal with some extra which is more than I could have hoped for but I think its enough now to cover any small extra's that might crop up. Keep your well earned money, your generosity has been really heartfelt and beyond belief.

A huge thank you to every person that sent money or messages of support, it all means the world to me and it will go to a great cause, helping not just me but an 84yr old with dementia who is in a  bad way, I can continue to help look after my mother in law and have the freedom to still do simple things like leave this flat away from the nasty neighbour I have, a woman who only yesterday scream that I should "suicide myself" (totally true) and the reason for this, I asked her to stop her 5yr old smashing the floor above. Lovely woman...

So, it is going to help in so many ways....As said, if there's any major car issues that stops it then the money will be returned..Sorry, I just realised I say MOT, I meant its service...Losing it as well..

• Like 8

Hi Mate,

I’m pleased we were able to find a solution to enable you to keep the car for longer as I know how important it was and what isolation can do to mental health.

It was also great to see the Atari community rally round to help you. I didn’t know Mr Vendel sadly, but from what I have read he seems the kind of person who would be proud of everyone for coming together like this, so hopefully he is looking down and nodding with approval.

• Like 2

Thanks Richie, I thank you for the go fund me idea and yes, it's more than just a car for me and still reeling from the nasty idiot upstairs making fun of my health. She obviously heard me one night when it was getting a bit tough talking to my wife while I was down. Just talking, no intent but clearly a funny thing for her..

Well the car gets me away from here so screw her, thanks people..I think you can see why the car is so important to me..

• Like 4