IGNORED

Please play and rate these 6 new Atari Lynx games

Igor

Hello! I'm sure you would have seen all the separate threads about the Lynx 2020 Programming Competition that we've been running. Well now's the time to check out all of the new games and give them a rating. Also don't be shy with your feedback and comments as that will help game developers improve their games for the future releases.

You can play each game from the Atari Gamer website, direct links to each game's play page are linked on the event page here - https://atarigamer.com/lynx/event/Lynx2020ProgrammingCompetition/5744555538251776

230858211_ScreenShot2020-08-27at09_46_22.thumb.png.008ee65ffcdce9691021e7576364c6d7.png

Have fun Lynxing!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Chuck D. Head said:

Whoooo! Asteroid Chasers is not a simple pick up and play. And, once I figured it out, it is very tough. But the infrequent wins are very satisfying.

Thanks.

While practising, you will see that wins become more frequent, and score higher.

This is risky to put this kind of "non-immediate" game in the contest (just like nop90 did with 4TTude or Karri with Find a way to my heart last year), and even more to not give the better experience (great background, nicer music) at the beginning, but in my (biaised) opinion, this is a game that I know I will really appreciate to play again and again in the future (just like 4TTude and Find a way...). 

1 hour ago, Fadest said:

Thanks.

While practising, you will see that wins become more frequent, and score higher.

This is risky to put this kind of "non-immediate" game in the contest (just like nop90 did with 4TTude or Karri with Find a way to my heart last year), and even more to not give the better experience (great background, nicer music) at the beginning, but in my (biaised) opinion, this is a game that I know I will really appreciate to play again and again in the future (just like 4TTude and Find a way...). 

I'm glad I stuck with it. Once I understood I was limited to working with the 3x3 grid centered on the last move, things got more fun. This will definitely go on the GD and be one I continue to go back to.

• Like 1

My votes are in over at itch.io

Some feedback for the devs:

Minimal - The start of what could easily be my favorite of the bunch in terms of an all around title. Veryyy early build though. I'd have liked to have seen the demo be a bit further along for a variety of reasons. Mostly, we are left to imagine what the finished implementation will look like in terms of how the game plays, and feels... difficulty and so on. The controls are nice and tight. The platforming is done in a way as to not be trivial, but not to be rage quit hard either.

Sybils Nightmare Run - Sort of different from basically any other existing Lynx game alone nearly warrants it being finished. I just feel like there needs to be a "touch" more depth to the game play in terms of mechanics. I like the graphic style, the presentation. I played an hour or two without making a "chore" of it. Solid start.

Time Loop - Very simple, but loads of fun. Again, love the graphics and art concepts... gameplay mechanics are good, controls pretty smooth. Things can almost feel a tiny bit "slippery" at times. When you get up to the max limit of clones, it almost feels too crowded. Getting goals above levels 20 plus nearly feels like luck. Took me quite a few attempts before I discovered the "turbo" button. Helps. I also discovered a little tactic that helps get you started early on, I won't spoil though :) A great homebrew title! 

Asteroid Chasers - I feel like for whatever reason, this one just doesn't hit home for me. It's a great example of awesome work for the system (as all these entries are really, and that's not just my excitement for more lynx titles talking!). Of all the entries, this one I had to force myself to spend the extra time with. I'm not quite sure why. Even after reading the instructions, it just doesn't feel intuitive to me. Although, that's likely a fault of my own and not the game. Kudos to the devs, while the game play seems a bit lost on me, the artwork is an interesting example of what the lynx can do!

XUMP 2 - What can I say. No disrespect meant to any of these games, but of them all, I could easily peg this one as a retail release from back when the console was still in production. Amazing effort, tons of replayability, A+ in my book. Dead ringer in my opinion. 

Titan - This is "middle of the road" for me in terms of the titles. I can see it being top 3. The lynx has some good shooters, gates of zendocon is a pretty cool one, and I bring this up I guess because it enters a space in the lynx library genre that isn't sorely lacking, although I try to not let that factor influence my voting too much. The lynx is devoid of several genres, but that doesn't make the first entry into the space necessarily a good one no matter how needed it is and that's why I try to limit that factor when voting. I feel like further into development, this title will get stronger. I could see myself buying a copy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 9/2/2020 at 4:27 PM, Turbo Laser Lynx said:

@Igor We're supposed to vote on itch.io right? I saw there were a bunch of ratings over at atarigamer.com too, just so no one gets it mixed up.

Yes, please vote over at itch.io, I've noticed ratings on Atari Gamer too, but those won't be considered for the purpose of the competition. It's always good to add ratings on both sites though!

On 9/5/2020 at 5:37 AM, battleman13 said:

Sybils Nightmare Run - Sort of different from basically any other existing Lynx game alone nearly warrants it being finished. I just feel like there needs to be a "touch" more depth to the game play in terms of mechanics. I like the graphic style, the presentation. I played an hour or two without making a "chore" of it. Solid start.

Thank you! I've had so much feedback about improving the game that I might start working on the 'final' version. I've already got some updated title screen art which I will share in the coming weeks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marss said:

Flood Nop90 with messages if you want to play a complete version of Minimal ;)

I have a dedicated anti spam filter here on AA ?

1 hour ago, LordKraken said:

It's nop90, you don't know it yet, but Minimal is done, and he's already working on 3 new games :D

Minimal has a gret potential but it's not easy to code. It started as a brand new game and so far I mostly made ports (sometimes enhancing them a little like for 4TTude or Lawnmower). Trying to go fast I reached some dead ends in the game structure and had to discard some of the work done. It needs to draw with paper and pencil the game structure before coding.

And I'm working on more than other 3 games.

I have:

- upgraded gfx to add to 4TTude

- new level selection and multiplayer mode (that is the same effort of another game) for Lawnmower. This is my priority at the moment

- Xump2 needs some tunings to the starfield

- waiting upgraded gfx for Nutmeg (and maybe I'll optimize some of the code)

- Griel's quest needs musics and some improvement to be a real game

- Final Melee (an little LCD game I announced 2 years ago) is waiting I complete the missing 50% of battle logic

- a Bowling POC made for @marss that could be a nice little game

- The RG Silly Venture entry ...

Slowly I'll finish all these things, but for some time I'm not going to start other new lynx projects.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, marss said:

Flood Nop90 with messages if you want to play a complete version of Minimal ;)

I currently spam his mailbox with random content, so he must have some time to get through that. ?

Edited by miker
typo
  • Haha 2