IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 13 - Game 8 - TRON: Deadly Discs

14 minutes ago, Intelligentleman said:

Oh snap... just saw that we're doing Star Strike next. This is one of my favorite Intellivision games EVER! Yes, it is quite shallow, but I just love the presentation of it!

I would agree with the 2 points you made there.  Star Strike's presentation is great, but it's definitely a very shallow game.  Wish they focused more on the gameplay for that one.  I bet they couldn't wait to release it because of it's resemblance to Star Wars, so they rushed it out the door too quickly before polishing the gameplay.

• Like 3

Super easy for me to get to 1,000,000.  (Or at least it was 34 years ago!)  Then it's hard to not lose the game in the following 60 seconds.  ?

Killing the recognizers is just like bowling:

1. Always stand in the same spot.

2. Only change one thing at a time, until you achieve success.

I'd stand in the same spot and listen for the sound to change, then wait like half a second and throw your disc.  You can start to kill them with 100% success.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, gar0u said:

Super easy for me to get to 1,000,000.  (Or at least it was 34 years ago!)  Then it's hard to not lose the game in the following 60 seconds.  ?

Killing the recognizers is just like bowling:

1. Always stand in the same spot.

2. Only change one thing at a time, until you achieve success.

I'd stand in the same spot and listen for the sound to change, then wait like half a second and throw your disc.  You can start to kill them with 100% success.

Thank you! I'm still gearing up to give Deadly Discs another proper go!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rickster8 said:

Just curious. Do you guys use 1 controller for this game or 2? I personally only use one for everything, but I know there are some on here who will use two for certain games. Pros? Cons? ?

Just 1.  Not enough dexterity to use 2 for a precise game like this one.  Plus I just think I can react quicker with 1 anyway, as this game gets fast above 1 mil.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rickster8 said:

Just curious. Do you guys use 1 controller for this game or 2? I personally only use one for everything, but I know there are some on here who will use two for certain games. Pros? Cons? ?

Try overlapping the controllers. I heard some players swear by that method. 

I agree with Matt though. For me it’s too awkward to do that. And I’m feeling that the advantage is so slight compared to balancing two controllers. 

It doesn’t hurt to try it !! Let us know your thoughts! 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

I agree with Matt though. For me it’s too awkward to do that. And I’m feeling that the advantage is so slight compared to balancing two controllers. 

I tried overlapping them too.  Also hard to do.  And if you watch the world record video I shared on page 1, you can hear and see that he is using only 1 controller.  To me, that's all ya need with this one!  ? 

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

I tried overlapping them too.  Also hard to do.  And if you watch the world record video I shared on page 1, you can hear and see that he is using only 1 controller.  To me, that's all ya need with this one!  ? 

That’s probably true, given that guys score. That said, I only play this game with two controllers. Same with night stalker and cloudy mountain.

• Like 1

Just now, IntyFanMatt said:

If it works for you, go for it!  ? 

I mean, I can’t say it makes me more competitive, but I personally enjoy the gameplay more with two controllers. And at first I thought it was an absurd idea. Heck, it’s hard enough to wrap my hands around a single inty controller! ?

You can get used to it though... Especially if you've spent any time with the Nintendo Wii

• Like 1

4 hours ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

So you play with two controllers?  It's not easy playing that way but if you can master it, it's definitely an advantage.  Whatever way you play, if you can get two million you can get twelve million because the game doesn't get any harder. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Intelligentleman said:

I mean, I can’t say it makes me more competitive, but I personally enjoy the gameplay more with two controllers. And at first I thought it was an absurd idea. Heck, it’s hard enough to wrap my hands around a single inty controller! ?

You can get used to it though... Especially if you've spent any time with the Nintendo Wii

True, I have played many games with the Wii remote and nunchuck.  Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 were amazing and I had no problem with those controls.  But for the Intellivision, I prefer to stick to my stubborn 1 controller method, lol.

51 minutes ago, mr_me said:

So you play with two controllers?  It's not easy playing that way but if you can master it, it's definitely an advantage.  Whatever way you play, if you can get two million you can get twelve million because the game doesn't get any harder. 

Yeah I do on those games I mentioned. For me it comes down to the flow of the gameplay. Before I knew about the dual controller option, I did not enjoy games that forced you to depress the disc before pressing an action button, which in these cases means the number pad.

That said, I’m not “good” at any of these games like you all are. ?

• Like 1