IGNORED

Video to HDMI

Solomon_Man

All,

I am going thru my collection after a lengthy time away. (college, kids etc)

Mostly 8 bit systems (Atari,Commodore,TI,TRS-80 etc)

I have a few composite to HDMI upconverters running around....Are these still the go to devices to get the signal to HDMI?

Looking for something that I can basically setup and then swap the systems in and out to verify functionality on a HDMI monitor.

I know people are always trying out new video converter devices and the ones I have are those cheapo ones found on ebay (<$10 - white or black boxes).

I may set up each system with something more specific (for better results) but one step at a time...

Thanks

Chris

As above or the other one (oscc?) Or fit a Sophia mod to your Atari.

Those cheap converters range from no signal output to dreadful to laggy and unplayable.

I think there are a couple that are ok but it's very hit or miss

• Like 1

RetroTink 2x ?

-or-

RetroTink 2X-Pro ? ?

I have the standard 2X model and its the best conversion for your $ that I've ever seen.

But... it'll only be as good as the quality you put into it. So I highly recommend installing a UAV and using a double-shielded S-Video cable directly out of the UAV outputs.

1 hour ago, mytek said:

RetroTink 2x ?

-or-

RetroTink 2X-Pro ? ?

I have the standard 2X model and its the best conversion for your $ that I've ever seen.

But... it'll only be as good as the quality you put into it. So I highly recommend installing a UAV and using a double-shielded S-Video cable directly out of the UAV outputs.

I keep seeing mention of these devices but can't quite convince myself to plop down $100 for one. I get adequate output from most of my machines and primarily use CRTs. What are the pros and cons of the RetroTink?

1 hour ago, mytek said:

RetroTink 2x ?

-or-

RetroTink 2X-Pro ? ?

I have Pro and its amazing :) fully recommended :) the Pro version allows to easily upgrade firmware, which is really cool as you get new features.

6 hours ago, orpheuswaking said:

I keep seeing mention of these devices but can't quite convince myself to plop down $100 for one. I get adequate output from most of my machines and primarily use CRTs. What are the pros and cons of the RetroTink?

Pros:

1. Very high quality conversion from analog video to HDMI
  2. Conversion does not compromise original source contrast, brightness, aspect ratio, or any other video spec
  3. Considerably cheaper than other solutions of equal quality

Cons:

1. It'll make your wallet lighter by at least $100 (depending on model purchased)
  2. It won't fix poor quality video input

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mimo said:

As above or the other one (oscc?) Or fit a Sophia mod to your Atari.

Those cheap converters range from no signal output to dreadful to laggy and unplayable.

I think there are a couple that are ok but it's very hit or miss

Mimo,

Thanks for the response.

I considered the Sophia but its only a solution to a single Atari.

I have more than one 8 bit Atari...not to mention the other 8 bit systems.

The Retrotink may be a option.

Thanks

Chris

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mytek said:

Pros:

1. Very high quality conversion from analog video to HDMI
  2. Conversion does not compromise original source contrast, brightness, aspect ratio, or any other video spec
  3. Considerably cheaper than other solutions of equal quality

Cons:

1. It'll make your wallet lighter by at least $100 (depending on model purchased)
  2. It won't fix poor quality video input

Thanks Michael. Is there any lag? 

3 minutes ago, orpheuswaking said:

Thanks Michael. Is there any lag? 

I'm the wrong person to ask about that, since I'm not much of a gamer, and because of my age most of the lag is from me ;) . However I haven't heard anything bad in this regard by others who are using these converters - maybe some of them them will chime in.

I tried 3 different cheap S-Video to HMDI converters and all produced a beautiful image, but they are all except one have terrible lag. For example, playing Space Invaders feels like the shooting base has inertia. I also tried Enduro (Atari VCS) and Megamania, and the scores were terrible. Even typing is kind of weird, since I am used (like everybody)  to here the beep, beep sound in Atari Basic as I am typing, and with the converter delay, my brain kind of get a short-circuit.

Finally, I found this one: which was recommended here, and it is better, like half the lag of the other cheap ones, but still noticeable. But you can play and type as you get used to the (smaller) delay.

https://www.amazon.com/OREI-RCA-HDMI-Converter-Supporting/dp/B07W7MQCLS

These are the ones that have huge lag:

https://www.amazon.com/Dingsun-Converter-Adapter-Compatible-Blue-Ray/dp/B07L931SB5

https://www.amazon.com/Female-Video-Composite-Converter-Projector/dp/B01IHASYNE/

All,

Looked at the Retrotink 2x...Realized I am out of my realm/forgot more than I thought type of thing.

Will this work with most of the older consoles/Computer systems?

I know some of them just have the RF Frequency only, some have composite and RF,some things just component,etc.

On the RF only ones (ie Atari 400, Atari 2600) do I need a RF modulator still when using the Retrotink?

Basically the below systems (From the top of my head) today could/would be connected to the Retrotink 2X if I purchase it.

Atari 400

Atari 800

Atari 600XL

Atari 800XL

Atari 1200XL

Atari 2600

Atari 5200

Atari 7800

Commodore 64

Commodore 128

(I put these Apples on the list but I have a friend who may be getting them - in the next week. - never was a big Apple person.)

Apple IIe  (never used)

Apple IIgs (Bought 10 years ago at a Salvation Army ($25) never turned it on)

Ti-994a

TRS-80 (Coco)

Consoles

Nintendo (NES)

Super Nintendo (SNES)

Nintendo 64

SEGA Genesis

PlayStation 1 (PS1)

PlayStation 2 (PS2)

Would there be any issue connecting any of the above using the Retrotink 2X and then out its HDMI?

Previously many were hooked to monitors or used the RF connections to old Analog TVs.

Commodores were to Commodore monitors and the Ataris, TI994a, TRS80 where mostly RF connections.

I believe the consoles, when used in their prime time, mostly DVD/VHS connections on the front.

So I am expecting I may need to buy some cables for the systems to connect to the Retrotink...Looking for those suggestions as well.

Thanks guys in advance,

Chris

4 hours ago, mikesk8 said:

btw, there was RetroTink Mini announced too, which will be more cost effective.

Wow really :o . I'll have to check that out :) .

BTW, I can not stress this enough... if the S-Video coming out of your Atari is noisy in any way, you'll see that in the HDMI output. So I would count on having to install a UAV and purchasing a double shielded video cable for some of the more questionable A8 systems (Hercules Workshop S-Video 6' Atari Video Monitor TV Cable). Even better although more work, would be to either connect a real S-Video cable directly to the UAV's video output terminal block or install a Mini-DIN-4 jack with short connections to this same terminal block and use an actual dual Mini-DIN-4 terminated S-Video cable to connect.

Notice I keep saying S-Video and not Composite. If you think you'll get good results using Composite as the video source, guess again ;) .

• Like 2

On 9/1/2020 at 9:24 AM, Solomon_Man said:

On the RF only ones (ie Atari 400, Atari 2600) do I need a RF modulator still when using the Retrotink?

The 400 and NTSC 600XL don't have a monitor output port, this can be rectified by adding a UAV and output ports. The connectors can be the DIN5F commonly used by Atari, or RCA/s-video jacks. The latter allow connecting commonly available individually shielded cables, most DIN5M to RCA/s-video cables don't have the conductors individually shielded.

All,

So for the RF Ports there is no other option available other than a UAV? (More on this later)

I can see the SVideo (Hercules Workshop S-Video 6' Atari Video Monitor TV Cable) and Retrotink 2x working for the Atari (i.e 800XL,1200XL.)

I can see the SVideo (https://www.8bitclassics.com/product/c64-svideo/) and Retrotink 2X for the Commodores working.

Looks like the Ti994a may possibly work with the Hercules above or https://www.8bitclassics.com/product/5-pin-din-to-composite-av-cable/.

I believe the Nintendos and I believe the PS1 will work with the Retrotink 2X directly. (Not sure on the NES Original - RF? - Its not in front of me currently - bought I thought it was 3 wire output)

Not sure about the PS2...Will it work with the Retrotink directly?

I do have a XBox Original or 3 running around.

I was thinking for the RF only systems (2600,7800,400, and the 600XL) something like the below;

https://www.amazon.com/GE-38806-Modulator-Video-Converter/dp/B074JW9W3Z/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=RF+to+SVideo+Adapter&qid=1599068963&sr=8-1

with the Retrotink 2x. Would this work? Are there other options?

The UAVs may be an option but I am talking probably half dozen machines (I have 2-2600s,1-7800, 1-400,1-600XL,1-TRS80 coco). 

I prefer not to alter the machines some still have original boxes. One I know I will not do as its still sealed (never been opened).

I think I have a direction on the Commodores and the more commonly used Atari 8bits...So I feel confident buying those 2 cables and the Retrotink-2x to get started.

I should clarify the Retrolink-2x will be connected to a LG 4K 34 inch monitor (not TV - LG 34UC87M) which has multiple HDMI ports. I believe this makes no difference but I will be swapping those machines/systems out as needed.

Thanks all for the help,

Chris

On 9/1/2020 at 9:27 AM, mikesk8 said:

There is no visible lag at all with RetroTINK. Its a beast and worth paying, especially if you plan more than 1 computer/console. Regarding lag pls see RetroRGB videos testing it.

Thanks for the info!!! I think I'll grab one of the Pro versions at the end of the year (as long as I get a bonus LOL) - I didn't think about being able to use it for multiple machines. 

On 9/2/2020 at 11:39 AM, mytek said:

Found it - RetroTink-2X MINI

RetroTink-Mini.png.17958bf5a33f431de9f8fb95729bf642.png

$69.99 - Available in Fall

It'll have the same video quality as the PRO model but they've left out the component jacks and the scan lines feature (makes it look like a CRT display).

Very nice!

• Like 1

All,

I ended up purchasing the Retrotink 2x-Pro with the N64/SNES S-video cord.

I also picked up a 10 pack of RF Female to Coaxial Male Adapters. (This should handle the RF machines to test them out etc)

I also ended up purchasing the respective Atari, Commodore, and Ti994A Cables from 8 bit Classics to get the best video connections possible as I will use these mostly. (Both the 8 pin and 4 pin versions as I do have a mixture of both pin outputs/machines).

I may end up buying the 12 ft version of the same cables from http://herculesworkshop.com/ but I am not sure how I am exactly laying out the final game room and thats not going to happen till after the pandemic clears up.

I ended up also purchasing a single RF Modulator (GE one mentioned previously) and a Standard Universal RF Switch. The last two things are for an old Analog TV I have in the garage.

I will let you know what I think of the Retrotink 2x-Pro.

The upgrades may be a consideration once I know how the move and 5 years of sitting in boxes have affected these machines. They were sealed but I have concerns.

Thanks everyone

Chris