IGNORED

Video to HDMI

Solomon_Man

Skip the 8-bit Classics cable, since it's already known to produce inferior results with a RetroTink due to the S-Video aspect not using individualy shielded wires. I have tested this personally with my RetroTink. And although this won't affect the composite video side of things, if you plan on putting this up on anything bigger than a 32" HDTV, composite will start looking pretty bad, and the jail bars produced by an inferior S-Video cable will be quite noticable and annoying.

RF will of course look the worse of everything, but if fed into a small CRT TV might be ok, and certainly have that retro BITD look.

I don't see a substantial cost savings going with the RetroScaler which shows a price of $72.15 at the link provided. Because if you don't need the component inputs, which we don't for our A8s, then going with the RetroTINK-2X MINI for $69.99 is even less expensive.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 9/5/2020 at 1:32 PM, mytek said:

which we don't for our A8s

Well, of course we do.

It only takes anyone here wishing to purchase an XEP80 to enjoy plug-and-play (& portable) console-mode interaction @ 1.79Mhz (for instance), just to realize that their video path does not provide the necessary bandwidth (and interfacing) for such video output, nor NTSC / PAL flexibility.

That's where the RetroTink seems to fail, as well, fyi.

However, I would agree that composite & y/c interfacing should be pretty good for most basic usage & gaming.

hi,

I got a 404 error with that link so I guess it expired but found one at http://www.bitfunx.com/product/retroscaler2x-a-v-to-hdmi-converter/ for $58.83 so it is about half of the retrotink converter, the full one. dont know how long the sale will last so get it asap if you want. I am not affiliated with them in any way, just want to let everyone know this info. later all.

Ken

11 hours ago, JKK said:

@pseudografx What are you impressions about using retroscaler 2x after some months?

It is not bad for the price but it has issues. With my PAL Atari, colors that contain blue are not very smooth; instead, they show a scanline-like effect where odd and even lines have different color. I even bought UAV, hoping that it will mitigate the issue, but it did not (though it improves other aspects of the picture). All in all, I would probably not buy RetroScaler 2x again and instead go for RetroTink 2x Mini (even though I do not know if it resolves the issue - but at least it has firmware upgrades, unlike the Chinese imitation).
obrazek.thumb.png.b96bcc2a9a9d6c87a6a350902bf57c33.png

On 9/3/2020 at 3:25 AM, BillC said:

The 400 and NTSC 600XL don't have a monitor output port, this can be rectified by adding a UAV and output ports. The connectors can be the DIN5F commonly used by Atari, or RCA/s-video jacks. The latter allow connecting commonly available individually shielded cables, most DIN5M to RCA/s-video cables don't have the conductors individually shielded.

I beg to differ. My 600XL definitely has a monitor port and it supports svideo with a totally jailbar free image.

I know...NTSC. ;)

Edited by Mazzspeed

2 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

I beg to differ. My 600XL definitely has a monitor port and it supports svideo with a totally jailbar free image.

I know...NTSC. ;)

I mean technically you can make a NTSC 60XL have a monitor port even without a UAV... All the spaces are there on the motherboard, just have to populate them. 

18 minutes ago, JKK said:

Do we have any other good alternative for RetroThink? Currently all models are not available...

An OSSC if your 8-bit has a VBXL/VBXE. Otherwise, not really. Or at least nothing that works as well or seems to be as good quality.

Of course, you could install a Sophia 2, that gives multiple outputs, including DVI, which you can then run to your monitor or TV using a DVI to HDMI cable. Being an all-digital signal, nothing tops the Sophia 2 in terms on image quality.

On 5/9/2021 at 8:23 AM, JKK said:

Do we have any other good alternative for RetroThink? Currently all models are not available...

I don't know how they perform but  Amberry has some interesting models that also have audio input, which is then embedded into the HDMI output. Here's the composite(RCA, there's another model with BNC)/s-video to HDMI version.

http://www.ambery.com/hdv332.html

Another alternative is the ODV  converter... Also a clone of retrotink. I got one for less then $40 in Amazon warehouse deals ($50 something at normal price) . I have not tried the converter with PAL signal. I will do it today and inform.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2021 at 2:19 AM, BillC said:

I don't know how they perform but  Amberry has some interesting models that also have audio input, which is then embedded into the HDMI output. Here's the composite(RCA, there's another model with BNC)/s-video to HDMI version.

http://www.ambery.com/hdv332.html

Not sure if it's a good solution. Have you tried it?

According to Amberry their model has:

• RCA A/V S-Video Input Resolution Support: 480i,576i

Howerver for Atari, please correct me if I'm wrong, 240p would be welcome. And for example RetroScaler 2x provides it.

13 hours ago, JKK said:

@bfollowell I would prefer not to install any mod.

@manterola This ODV converter looks good. Any new remarks to be shared?

Your options are going to be limited to some sort of composite to HDMI or S-Video to HDMI converter then, and the results will probably be so-so at best, but that's just my opinion, and I have pretty high standards for my video output.