IGNORED

Retron 77 Controller disappointment

Romuluz

Hi all,

just wanted to let you know... When i bought my R77 i really liked the Wood design. It gave the Device a lovely original 1977 Retro Touch. Then i wanted some additional Contollers... so i ordered them from amazon.com. Today they arrived. But for some reason the design has changed.

The Ranger so far is an oversight from me as they are pictured with the new design on Amazon. Could have seen that.

Far more disappointing is the new Trooper. It simply does not fit to rest of the Console and the original Controller. That may be nitpicking but i would have liked to have all Controllers with the same Wood Design. I wonder if it's asked to much from a Manufacturer to do the right things?

i didn't expect that (well nobody expects the spanish Inquistion)

Rom

Ranger1.JPG

Ranger2.JPG

Trooper1.jpg

Trooper2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/31/2020 at 7:35 AM, Romuluz said:

Hi all,

just wanted to let you know... When i bought my R77 i really liked the Wood design. It gave the Device a lovely original 1977 Retro Touch. Then i wanted some additional Contollers... so i ordered them from amazon.com. Today they arrived. But for some reason the design has changed.

The Ranger so far is an oversight from me as they are pictured with the new design on Amazon. Could have seen that.

Far more disappointing is the new Trooper. It simply does not fit to rest of the Console and the original Controller. That may be nitpicking but i would have liked to have all Controllers with the same Wood Design. I wonder if it's asked to much from a Manufacturer to do the right things?

i didn't expect that (well nobody expects the spanish Inquistion)

Rom

Ranger1.JPG

Ranger2.JPG

Trooper1.jpg

Trooper2.jpg

I looked on ebay for a woograin one and found one that had the woodgrain trooper pictured and even emailed the seller and he said it was the woodgrain one and then it arrives and its the one with the blue, red and orange stripe. :mad: I don't know why they changed to these ugly ass colors either. Do you suppose any new Retron77's will be the new colors also?

• Like 1

My 2nd Trooper also had the Box with the Woodgrain Picture on it. I don't know if they change the Design on the Retron also but i would make Sense? Why should they change it on the Controllers only? Anyway, i don't like the design, but that's my personal opinion.

As a dirty workaround i bought another Retron Console, took the Wood Joystick from it and exchanged it with the ugly one and sold it on Ebay. I stated that clearly in the Offer, so no bad surprise for the Buyer. ...I even got more Money back than what i paid for it.

Edited by Romuluz
  • Like 1

@Romuluz  Are you saying that your new controller does not have the wood grain?  If so then why not pick up a roll of similar wood grain vinyl for a dollar or two, peel the current vinyl off and use it as a template for cutting the wood grain, apply and it will match the rest of your system.  I think the faux wood grain vinyl I have was advertised as drawer liner at the local dollar store.

@MasterMotorola

Short answer:

No, why should I?

Long answer:

First, as i stated before, i have solved my Problem.

Second, i could have done as you suggest. But... Professionaly produced items are in most cases more durable than those selfmade fixes. I can buy a self adhesive Vinyl with a wooden Design, it's called D-C-Fix here. But it's very soft and tends to break. Because of the warmth of my Hand the Glue will become unsticky and floating. The cutting will be a a problematic task given that i only have a normal cutter knive. Applying will also be problematic, Airbubbles and so on. I tend to be a little short tempered... imagine a fast flying and hard wall hitting Joystick. :)

Third, with my Post here i simply wanted to warn possible Customers for what they have to expect.

Fourth, and this in my opinion the most important Point: A Device like the Retron 77 is not an all World everybodys Item. There is a small Userbase for such things. All they have to do is satisfy a small peergroup, but they even f****d up that task. Should be said!

If you take all this in account, then we can go back to the short answer: No, why should I? :)

Greetings

Rom

• Like 1