IGNORED

RIP Curt Vendel

Bill Lange

Did he still own the unique/prototype Atari hardware at his passing? I would guess he had many, many thousands of dollars of value in all of it.  If his daughter inherited the collection she could sell it...???   Also a college education these days often (but not always) ends up wasted and unused in adult life as people's life ambitions change. No idea what she is studying. The real world doesn't have fifty million gender studies or french literature job openings.

Only a suggestion if alot more money is needed.  In a somewhat similar situation for a classic collector the family put up alot of items for sale which members of the community essentially paid double the value.  It ends up being a win win for the family and community.  The gofundme is 12k plus so hopefully they have some breathing room covering the first semester as they try to figure out the future.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ivop said:

Is there a paypal address for those without credit cards?

Unfortunately, no.  Per GoFundMe policy, they only accept PayPal when used for a charitable contribution to a 501(c)3 non-profit.  A situation like this where you are crowdfunding something considered personal requires a credit/debit card.

Perhaps you could put some money on one of those refillable credit cards they sell at the grocery/convenience stores and make a contribution like that.  Your only other two options are to contact Kim Donovan, the person that set this up and see if she is accepting direct contributions via check or certified funds like a bank check or money order.  Also, if you refer to the obituary, there is information to contribute to Madison via the funeral home.

I hope you are able to find a method that works for you.

• Thanks 1

I was away from the forum for two months, came back to update a post, and saw this. I’m so sad to hear this news.

I have a copy of Atari Inc: Business Is Fun, which I read cover to cover. I was amazed at the depth of the book and the sheer amount of information on Atari’s early days. I had driven past the building where the first Pong machines were built and I never even knew it until I read the book.

My thoughts go out to Curt’s family—he will be missed.

I've been away from this hobby for some years so am just hearing about this.  I had limited interaction with Curt but what exchanges we did have made me this he really was the world's foremost authority on Atari and also a nice person.  I'll  miss him.

Edited by FastRobPlus
punctuation

I am truly sorry to hear of the loss of Curt. My

condolences to family. I talked with Curt on Facebook about idea of portable Atari 800 with SD as new Flashback Handheld 2 (after A2600). Also about YM2151 for A7800 expansion/turbocard. And Atari prototypes stuff like Mirai, SuperXEGS. Graphics chip He rescued from mainframe server tape, AMY soundchip... He always replied my messages and was very supportive. I will do my own A800 handheld project based on ESP32 as tribute to Him. Huge loose for our community.

Edited by Matej
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, snicklin said:

Curt keeps coming up as a suggested friend on Facebook. Doesn't seen right after someone has passed.

Unfortunately, it may continue to do that indefinitely unless his family have access to the account and can turn it into a memorial page (not entirely sure of the process).

Recently, I got a notification of a friend's birthday. She passed away last year and her kids don't have a way of changing the page's status, so they're going to get birthday reminders every year as well. FB really need to consider putting in place a system whereby if there's been no status updates on a page for a while, birthday notifications and friend suggestions for that page are disabled until the next update.

12 minutes ago, Tickled_Pink said:

Unfortunately, it may continue to do that indefinitely unless his family have access to the account and can turn it into a memorial page (not entirely sure of the process).

Recently, I got a notification of a friend's birthday. She passed away last year and her kids don't have a way of changing the page's status, so they're going to get birthday reminders every year as well. FB really need to consider putting in place a system whereby if there's been no status updates on a page for a while, birthday notifications and friend suggestions for that page are disabled until the next update.

Same thing here - I get job anniversary reminders for my dad's old Linked In account.  I still get mail addressed to him at the house which pisses me off.  Offers for things like cable and electric service, etc.  He passed away almost 3 years ago.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I cannot believe this! he was too young!

My Condolences to his family and friends. 

I remember back in...was it 2004- He allowed me to work with him briefly as a representative of the Atari Museum to contact Kodak management in an attempt to possibly recover some of the large quantity of TT030s that Kodak bought for image processing. (A rumor surfaced that they still had them warehoused).

It didn't work out, but it was a nice memory.

Rest in peace my friend!

On 12/2/2020 at 2:32 PM, ColleenLover said:

I cannot believe this! he was too young!

My Condolences to his family and friends. 

I remember back in...was it 2004- He allowed me to work with him briefly as a representative of the Atari Museum to contact Kodak management in an attempt to possibly recover some of the large quantity of TT030s that Kodak bought for image processing. (A rumor surfaced that they still had them warehoused).

It didn't work out, but it was a nice memory.

Rest in peace my friend!

So was it just a lack of interest on Kodak's part for it not working out, or had the TT030's been discarded and the rumor false?

Edited by Gunstar

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't frequent Atari Age often and just learned about Curt's passing. On this forum, I learned about Curt many years ago and purchased 4 of his Atari USB Joysticks. They still work great, and I improved one by adding 4 buttons to the joystick. The only time I met Curt was at VCF East 2019. Knowing about Curt's past health problems, I had this image of what I thought Curt would look like and I was so surprised to see a young, healthy looking guy with loads of enthusiasm. I was impressed with the Atari all stars at VCF East and thought Curt's health problems were behind him. I'm shocked at his passing and wish all the best for his family. Hopefully AtariMuseum.com will live on as a testament to Curt. 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

http://atarimuseum.com

is down!!!

This can't be allowed to happen!

@cx2k

@Bill Lange

can this be checked up on?

Too much blood sweat and tears went in to this with so much waiting to be made live (that had not, but was partially there just waiting to be tidied or bits added and then linked up)

The only wanna be sort of site mirrors I found aren't even in English (as usual)

what can be done?

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

No worries! This is on facebook:

Marty Goldberg
Yes I'm aware. Jason had already made a copy over there and I'm working on a replacement site that will launch soon.

Marty Goldberg
Michael I appreciate it I’ve got it taken care of. I should have it up within a week

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4